Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 07:13 PM

12 posts, read 41,350 times

Advertisements

it seems as if all my fellow nyers have moved to florida. those of us that want to do better. my oldest is also in college and i have one in the third grade. so far it seems im on point to where im looking. the church i want to attend is in apopka. how far is that from places in seminole.

i dont know anyone in florida and you have been helpful. and yes i will miss the bodegas and chinese food (chicken wings and platanos) lol. im most nervous about being lonely and

snakes and alligators. how will i know where not to live. i know how to avoid crime but the animals are not a ny thing.

any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 07:40 PM

12 posts, read 51,197 times
I have lived in florida all my life but not in orlando. im actually in seminole county which is right next door. ive been going to orlando daily and actually plan on moving there soon once i get situated with a job. just like everyone here said, crime is everywhere. true that crime has risen up over the passed years all throughout central florida but its not to the point where im gonna end up commiting suicide like our good friend MaryLou2007 is. as far as crackheads go, you can pretty much say that about any crack head in any place of the world.. if they are desperate for a hit then they will probably do something stupid to get it. its not some new thing that just developed in orlando .

rent for apartments around Seminole/volusia counties are pretty pricey though, that i can agree on him/her with. as far as Orlando goes, i cant really tell you but im pretty sure they aren't that much different. there are a ton of nice apartments in Orlando so there is nothing to get worried about.

as far as traveling goes, traveling in and out of Orlando can be a pain in the ass almost all the time. we have no rail type service or subway or anything like that. we pretty much just have buses here lol. i remember talk of adding some kind of monorail service around here some time ago, but that was being debated. not sure if anything got passed. theres always some kind of construction project going on on the roads though so that usually doesnt help. people always seem to be in a hurry wherever they go.. not sure if its just here? or everywhere but theres lots of crazy people drving here. they have stepped up road security BIG time at the start of 07 that ive noticed though so i guess thats good and bad in a way.

as far as jobs go, i'm not too sure the kind of pay you would get. but seeing as how you got a degree and have quite some experience, im sure finding a good job wont be hard. there are a bunch of new schools being built all over orlando and its surroundings. like others have said, were still trying to catch up with the growth its crazy!.

also with the animals, dont get too worried lol. snakes were more common back in the days when there wasnt this many people or at least in my area. now with houses and buildings everywhere, i think they all got chased away :P

In my opinion, orlando is a nice place to live. im only 21 so i cant really say much on paying bills or anything like that. But i am going to move there sometime this year once i get this a/c job. There is plenty potential out there because of it growing so dang fast. lots of apartments to choose from, or better yet even houses to choose from (seeing as how they are almost the same as far as payments go). Your def. NOT going to be around much noise as im sure you guys in NY have. its pretty quiet here and can get boring at times (at least for a young person like me). but you have a family so your different. Oh yea and who could forget all the attractions?

well let me hurry and push reply before this turns into a book. I wish you the best of luck and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by Kayeye; 02-14-2007 at 09:00 PM..

Old 02-18-2007, 02:53 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Exclamation well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyArlene View Post
I read a lot of negativiity about Orlando, specifically Apopka. I read a lot of stuff about crime, the incoming latin population wreaking havoc (i am puerto rican by the way), the presence of the Guardian Angels etc.

Well im coming from the Bronx in NYC. The five burroughs have been my home and I am coming to live a quieter, more enjoyable lifestyle that i believe florida offers. But what i really want to know is this.

Is it really that bad? Or are a few people here overreacting? I mean this from a NY point of view. I come from a place where there on 10 apts. on my floor. 17 floors in my building Im at the top. The elevator is always broken.
It's freezing. Snow is not nice in nyc because it turns to black slush within minutes. Crime is high. Schools are horrible. No matter what burrough youre in. The Guardian Angels have been here since the 1980's. And you guys are going crazy that they are there now. I think they are just getting older want some property and liked Florida. If you buy a house in nyc you wont have any land, all attached. and expensive.

I have a two bedroom and pay $920. That's cheap in NY. People tell me how lucky i am. BTW our apartments dont include washer/dryer, a/c, garbage disposal, carpeting, pool, clubhouse, fitness center, park, and many other ammenities. So you see, I guess that's why we are coming.

And florida has so much for kids to do its ideal. in nyc its all theater and museums. and if you have a car there's no parking.

Well orlando, we are coming. Ready or not! And we're only coming to add to the place not take away from. Look forward to hearing your suggestions on schools, neighborhoods, any apts available. thanks

I lived in Palm Beach County. But I will say that when we visited, Orlando represented everything in NY that we had moved to get away from

sunny.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:40 PM

3 posts, read 15,586 times
Default You will Feel Like You Never Left Home!

If you are coming from the Bronx, you will never notice that you left except for the sunshine. We are already over capacity for transplanted NYorquinos who wear Yankees outfits and gold chains, run red lights amd have covered this once City Beautiful with graffitti. I am leaving Orlando to escape the NYers. If you come enjoy your brothers.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:06 PM

208 posts, read 974,789 times
If you really think Orlando is a sunny version of the Bronx, man you have to be kidding yourself. Have you ever been in the Bronx? Have you ever gone to Co-op city? That has got to be the worst comparison I have ever heard. Yeah I've seen some Yankees hats down there, but I'd hardly say they've taken over the whole city.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:11 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,717 times
Default Do your research before you move

Quote:
I read a lot of negativiity about Orlando, specifically Apopka. I read a lot of stuff about crime, the incoming latin population wreaking havoc (i am puerto rican by the way), the presence of the Guardian Angels etc.

Well im coming from the Bronx in NYC. The five burroughs have been my home and I am coming to live a quieter, more enjoyable lifestyle that i believe florida offers. But what i really want to know is this.

Is it really that bad?
Or are a few people here overreacting? I mean this from a NY point of view. I come from a place where there on 10 apts. on my floor. 17 floors in my building Im at the top. The elevator is always broken.
It's freezing. Snow is not nice in nyc because it turns to black slush within minutes. Crime is high. Schools are horrible. No matter what burrough youre in. The Guardian Angels have been here since the 1980's. And you guys are going crazy that they are there now. I think they are just getting older want some property and liked Florida. If you buy a house in nyc you wont have any land, all attached. and expensive.

I have a two bedroom and pay $920. That's cheap in NY. People tell me how lucky i am. BTW our apartments dont include washer/dryer, a/c, garbage disposal, carpeting, pool, clubhouse, fitness center, park, and many other ammenities. So you see, I guess that's why we are coming.

And florida has so much for kids to do its ideal. in nyc its all theater and museums. and if you have a car there's no parking.

Well orlando, we are coming. Ready or not! And we're only coming to add to the place not take away from. Look forward to hearing your suggestions on schools, neighborhoods, any apts available. thanks
I know that posts like this tend to be negative in general. But if you are used to living in the Bronx, I assure you that you will be in for a rude awakening in Florida. It is not what it appears to be. that being said, i don't want to discourage you. I just say make sure you visit for extended periods of time to really get a feel for the place, the cost of living, the schools and the job market. If I could get a 2 bdrm apt in NY for $920 I'd pack my bags today and get out of the South!

Old 02-26-2007, 07:18 AM

12 posts, read 41,350 times
920 is an exception and you dont get anything for your money. 10 apts. on my 17 th floor apt. average rent in the south bronx or flatbush brooklyn for 2 bdrm. is 1200. ny is for the very rich or the very poor. i am not discouraged by the negative posts. and for those of you moving because of us ny'ers wearing yankee hats and gold chains, neither of which i own, bye. i wouldnt want to deal with negative stereotypes from people like you. so thats one less small minded person i have to deal with when i get there.

thanks to all who gave positive yet realistic perspectives. everyplace has problems it all depends on where you come from and what your'e looking for.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:52 PM

16 posts, read 56,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrelwill View Post
If you are coming from the Bronx, you will never notice that you left except for the sunshine. We are already over capacity for transplanted NYorquinos who wear Yankees outfits and gold chains, run red lights amd have covered this once City Beautiful with graffitti. I am leaving Orlando to escape the NYers. If you come enjoy your brothers.
Yes, you're right. All New Yorkers are wearing Yankee outfits and are practically tripping over their gold chains. And I'm sure nobody in the bronx knows how to stop at a red light. Ever been there? Love to show you around.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:05 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,896 times
Unhappy I hope it doesn't become NYC

Quote:

Well im coming from the Bronx in NYC.
Orlando is not (YET) as bad as NYC, but we are getting there... I mean Orlando is already becoming a part of NYC, as pretty much 1/5 of the population (my guestimates) here is from New York right now and if the NYers keep coming, yes, Orlando might actually become NYC.

We have Guardian Angels (GA) here too, we need them as crime is too high right now. I think the GA can make a good show of force in the community. I just hope the dealers don't start killing them on the side of the roads....

There is a lot of latin population "wrecking havoc", as you stated, but that is concentrated in certain areas (ie. East Orlando, Kissimmee/Poinciana, certain parts of Apopka, Haines City, Auburndale, etc).

Orlando, in my humble opinion, is FAR MUCH BETTER than NYC, but once the local pop becomes 1/2 NYC people (or a blend between NY and MA), I bet Orlando will suck just as bad as NYC. (No offense, but that is really what I think).

Last edited by Nirvana-Guy; 03-29-2007 at 01:56 PM..

Old 03-29-2007, 01:28 PM

166 posts, read 986,457 times
I actually like Orlando much better than NYC for living.

I have never actually worked there so I can't really tell you much about the pay as far as hourly wage work is concerned.

I think people generally are trying to work for somebody else as opposed to trying to work for themselves.

There are actually a few good jobs out there that do pay a lot of money, yet you don't even need a college degree.

If you like to type a court reporter could possibly bring you into the 100K salary range. If your not a good court reporter perhaps you can average 50k

If you generally like to sell, and are good with people why not become a real estate agent or stock broker. I know of people who do not have a college degree but made a lot of money as both a real estate agent or stock broker.

Other really high paying jobs are Ace certified personal fitness trainers.

I am 100% completely sure that it's easy to charge at least $55 an hr. for an Ace Personal Fitness Trainer. Your just going to have to be agressive and work with people if you really want to make some money. I know of people who can pull in 5k a month easily on ebay....

I think if your going to try to be a wage worker, it might be somewhat challenging. If your going to think outside the box, and find a profession that really can pull in a very good income...try something listed above.

I know of a girl who works at the Country Club (where my husband also works with clients) and she is a Certified Personal Fitness Trainer as well as a Real Estate Agent. She does both. I am pretty sure she doesn't have a college degree in anything! She has a beautiful Mercedes and seems very happy.

My husband makes very good money as an ACE certified personal fitness trainer. True, he has a four year college degree, but he didn't seem to find jobs that were willing to pay him for his college degree. He took the ACE test instead and is making a lot of money! $55+ an hr. It's so easy to do (as far as making the money) however, the test is another story. The test seemed challenging, but once you pass it, as long as you are good with people, your going to make an amazing amount of money!

I have to admit the test is hard, but I haven't come across any illegals that can fill positions like Real Estate Agents, Stock Brokers, ACE CERTIFIED Personal Fitness Trainers or Court Reporters yet you don't need to spend I dunno how much money on college. It's not a job where an illegal can come in and replace you either! This is why these jobs have a huge earning potential (some better than others...I mean if your not good in sales, don't become a broker or real estate agent. But if you want to make a lot of money without having to go to college, those are great jobs). These type of jobs can make you a lot of money in Orlando or NYC!

I also make good money selling on Ebay. I work when I want, and choose to sell to who I want. I just decided to think outside the box. I was just so desperate not to work for somebody else, I just taught myself HTML, got a great camera and started to sell on Ebay. I only got one lesson, from a girlfriend, but I do make good money on Ebay. All it takes is determination.

My mother only has her GED....but she makes more money than many college graduates as a Court Reporter down in Miami. (A court reporter is a great job for somebody who doesn't like to sell. If you don't have a very friendly personality, but love to type, Court Reporting would be excellent for you.)

Last edited by Angelrocks; 03-29-2007 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando