U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-26-2008, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 9,276 times
Default UCF: Financial Aid + Readmissions

Wondering if any person experienced this situation

Long message

-I was re-admitted to UCF in early February after a 6 year absence

-Prior to the absence, I completed 6 UCF courses in two semesters, earning three As and a B, and I completed an AA at VCC, a straight-A student in the honours programme

-I had to be "readmitted" because UCF has rules that a student who does not attend for x amount of time must be re-evaluated for admissions

-I was re-admitted the same day I submitted the readmissions form [in person]

-I had already applied for financial aid through FAFSA in February, and FAFSA completed processing the information by the end of that month

-I submitted all necessary UCF financial aid forms after my UCF account was re-activated in mid-February

-Classes commenced in August, during which time UCF had still not completed their own financial aid verification process

-During this time, I made numerous attempts to discern the status of the financial aid situation; each and every UCF representative told me to read my "MyUCF" page for new information, declining to provide any explicit information

-UCF misplaced one particular form 3 times, in June (they did not begin processing my financial aid forms - sumbitted in February - until June...), July, and August. After the 4th time I submitted the form, an advisor said the form was not completed fully. After an in-person appointment, the advisor acknowledged the 5th form was fully completed, but that does not end there...

-I attended the first class despite not having any money to pay the tuition or purchase books and supplies

-A financial aid represenative told me to simply pay the tuition, after which time I would be re-imbursed

-Financial aid situation - I have no money, no car, no bank account, no credit cards. I have been unemployed since 2004 due to the Hurricane Charley disaster. I was a renter, and I was forced to give up the housing and nearly all my possessions. I moved in with my grandmother who only provides me money for food and bathroom items, and she provides the least possible amount. [she is not poor, she is middle-income, but detests me, and I will leave that at that.] FAFSA verified my financial situation, classifying me as a person with financial need.

-UCF's financial aid department informed me at the end of August that they decided to reject the particular form and cease the verification process until I completed the form

-UCF refused to accept the reality that I am unemployed: Mod Cut: Removed Name the advisor insisted - her words - that if I was alive, then I was working, and I had to provide my work income on the particular form

-The only "income" I "have" is the money provided to me for food, and I provided that information on the form, complete with food purchase receipts

-Mod Cut: Removed Name the advisor primarily responsible for verifying information refused to acknowledge the evidence of this information, instead insisting that somebody was paying for my car, car insurance, credit cards, putting money in my bank account, paying for clothes, jewelry, make-up, electricity, water, cable/television, housing, entertainment, etc

-I provided proof that I have no checking account (closed down in 200,=4, have records to prove it), no wage earnings (IRS tax return: I haven't been qualified to fill out a return for 3 years: I can try, but IRS' software stops the process because no employer submitted W2 forms with my SS), never possessed a car (have no driver license, never possessed credit cards (provided credit report documentation), no cable/television (I'm using a library computer), never go to clubs/the mall/movies/etc, never use make-up or wear jewelry (she witnessed this the few times we met), etc, etc, etc

-Yet the advisior ultimately refused to finish processing the information because she insisted that I had wage earnings.

-By this time I withdrew from classes I registered in (I attended four classes three times) because I had, and still have, no money to pay for anything

-Finally was able to meet with a different advisor in mid-September. This person, Mod Cut: Removed Name, said I had already been awarded financial aid, and he was unsure why the "MyUCF" page claimed that verification was not complete, why it didn't show I was granted the award for two semsters in the 2008-09 academic period, and he was angered that Mod Cut: Removed Name was claiming the paticular form was rejected when it had been verified and accepted months before

-Useless help, because I had already been forced to withdraw - no money, no tuition can be payed, no books, etc, and since I was a readmitted student, if I would have temporarily ignored the tutition situation, late fees would have been added to the tuition cost, and the dereliction of not paying tuition on time could have resulted in my admissions advisor dropping me from courses (a readmissions "rule")

-Yesterday I contacted UCF about wanting to prepare for the next semester and possibly enroll early, since the financial aid situation was resolved...and was informed that readmitted students are considered academic risks (yes, I received 6 As at UCF and excelled with all As at VCC, that qualifies me as an at-risk student simply because I was unable to continue attending UCF 6 years ago; yes, UCF, all students who take a leave of absense from school are at-risk students, thanks for the negative blanket generalization...)

-Which means their brand-new excuse for refusing to apply to my UCF account what the state and federal government ALREADY granted me way back in February (yes: FAFSA approves or disproves of grants, not UCF. BUT the federal government allows colleges/universities to circumvent state/federal decisions...) is, per Mod Cut: Removed Name, that all readmitted students are disqualified from financial aid until they complete x amount of coursework, the x being determined by the re-admissions counselour

-And Mod Cut: Removed Name informed me I cannot appeal their decision because the admissions rule is a blanket rule: it does not matter what my UCF academic status was 6 years ago nor does my financial status matter - I must "prove" I am a good student.

-What

-The

-Is

-Happening?????

So you mean to tell me that a lower-income/no-income honours college student with excellent grades and perfect GPA is not allowed to attend college because if the student hasn't attended in x number of years for whatever reason, the student is a "risk", a stupid degenerate drop-up who can't be trusted, AND is a millionaire???

-How the hell can a college get away with this????

Last edited by cmj_fla; 09-29-2008 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: Removed obscenity/removed names
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-29-2008, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 4,656 times
The readmission rule they're referring to is only for students who received below average or failing grades, and failed to maintain a specific grade point average, which disqualifies them from being eligible for financial aid in general, regardless of whether or not they're an active student or readmitted student.

If your grades and gpa are as you claim, then you need to check to make sure the university has all of your Valencia AND UCF records.

It's possible that due to your inactive status, and UCF's ever-evolving records system, your VCC AND UCF records are incomplete, and have not been filed according to their current system.

Additionally, if you were quickly readmitted as you say, that is solid proof that you have the grades you mentioned, and should not have any academic hold on your records

UCF has strict guidelines for determining who to readmit. They only readmit a small number of local-based students each semester. If you passed those guidelines the same day after filling out the form letter, then there's no doubt your academic record is solid.

Make sure your records are properly filed with UCF. Don't access the records online - call them, or go there in person.

While you're doing this, start an appeal process immediately.

If your grades are bad, and you are on academic probation, you won't win an appeal, and you'll have to pay to attend. You'll need to pass as many classes as it takes to raise your gpa.

Most universities and colleges practise the same rules as UCF, so you're not alone. Countless people who initially did well in college but were forced to leave for personal reasons, then try to return years later, meet the same exact roadblocks as you: unhelpful advisors, contradictory advise, contradictory rules, inaccurate online information, incomplete records (you may have to pay money to sort out records problems), newly revised rules, fees that you paid that the college insists aren't paid, lots of inane roadblocks.

Check your records status and immediately begin an appeal.

Unread 10-17-2008, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 9,276 times
Thanks for the response.

Already appealed, but was denied because, per UCF rules, local students who have not attended consecutive semesters for 3+ years are considered "academic risks" regardless of whether or not their previous collegiate gpa was above 2.5.

For example, if person wishes to matriculate a bachelors into a masters, and has not attended consecutive semesters for 6 years, that person must initially pay for each course taken, until the person earns a 2.5+ gpa (and UCF generally requires 3 courses to be completed before allowing readmitted students to receive financial aid).

At my urging, my grandmother contacted her attorney about their decision, to discover whether or not their actions were truly legal.

His conclusion was that UCF has the legal right to approve or deny federal funding for students at any time for any reason.

Based on all official letters and emails, he concluded that UCF basically dismisses the existing academic record of students who haven't attended college in years. Instead, they 'pretend' that the students' starting gpa is 0.

You could have been a UCF honour student with a 4.0 gpa, but if you had not attended in 4 years, then your gpa is 0.

His advise was to contact my local representative's office and explain the situation, since they have people who are specifically hired to resolve nebulous quasi-legal constituant rights issues like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando