U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 12:46 PM

27 posts, read 72,963 times
I moved from base to base and lived in some cold weather before, at first I'm like YES!! Four seasons!! Snow was cool, I made a snowman and had snowball fights and all that crap they do up north, then 2nd month and its still snowing, and 3rd month still snowing, its not so fun no more. Stay indoors all the time, too cold to go out, etc...

Then at the end, I finish my tour in the military, got out and move back home to Orlando. So I love the winters in Orlando, well I love the winters in Florida!! 11 months of Summer, 2 weeks of Spring, 2 weeks of Winter (no Fall over here!!) I love the fact that this weekend coming up, I can go to the beach if i want too!! I can wear shorts and sandals to an outdoor bar, that I can roll down my windows after work and not use the heater in my car, all you need is A/C.

If your from up north and use to that weather, you may not like it, but its what you like, what you tolerate, and the trade-offs. Let me say this, a good portion of residents in Orlando are not born here in Florida, they migrate from up north, especially New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Illinois, and Ohio. They move down here, at first they complain, then they love it. How can you tell, they go home for the winter to visit their families and are in a hurry to come back arguing how cold it is up there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 12:17 PM

382 posts, read 793,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Team View Post
If your from up north and use to that weather, you may not like it, but its what you like, what you tolerate, and the trade-offs. Let me say this, a good portion of residents in Orlando are not born here in Florida, they migrate from up north, especially New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Illinois, and Ohio. They move down here, at first they complain, then they love it. How can you tell, they go home for the winter to visit their families and are in a hurry to come back arguing how cold it is up there!!
They went back home in the winter! They're crazy. I would never go back to Delaware in the the winter time; I came down here with the intention of never seeing a winter again and so far I have no intentions of changing my mind. Heck, it gets a little to cold for me even down here. I have people at work tell me they miss snow, and I always wonder if they've suffered some sort of head injury.

-Harry

Old 10-10-2008, 03:20 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,687,811 times
I think, personally, I will miss the snow......when I see it on the news. I will miss the smell of it....the silence of it. When it is coming down...all is so quiet and soft. I love it.

Then, when I wake up, don my sunglasses and shorts, and don't have to scrape my car to get to work, or dig out of the driveway (heck , I had to pay a neighbor $100 bucks to plow out my alley one year), I will be like....forget that crap!!!!!!

And honestly, after the first round of folks driving in the snow...it all looks like garbage after that anyway, so what's to miss really!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:17 PM

8,183 posts, read 11,083,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
I think, personally, I will miss the snow......when I see it on the news. I will miss the smell of it....the silence of it. When it is coming down...all is so quiet and soft. I love it.

Then, when I wake up, don my sunglasses and shorts, and don't have to scrape my car to get to work, or dig out of the driveway (heck , I had to pay a neighbor $100 bucks to plow out my alley one year), I will be like....forget that crap!!!!!!

And honestly, after the first round of folks driving in the snow...it all looks like garbage after that anyway, so what's to miss really!

After 25 years down here, I still miss the fall and the 1st snow fall.
Then Dec 26th comes around and I'm just fine. lol

Old 10-12-2008, 11:11 AM

744 posts, read 962,993 times
60 degrees is not cold. To me, it is a welcome relief from 5 straight months in the 90's. If you come down to visit in the winter bring a pair of jeans + sweatshirt if it cools off at night. More than likely you'll need sunglasses (its very bright here!), sunblock, and shorts.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:23 PM

7 posts, read 18,440 times
I moved here from MA. Before I came down, I was told I could wear shorts all year 'round. It's true. The "winters"... like from late October through to March are absolutely fantastic... clear, bright blue skies, "tropical" breezes. Perfect days and cool nights. I wish I'd lived here ALL my life!

Old 10-12-2008, 11:26 PM

7 posts, read 18,440 times
If you truly LOVE snow...
If you truly LOVE dead leaves...
you won't be happy here.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,744 times
Going to Orlando on 26th December on a family holiday.Really need to know more about the weather.Living in Yorkshire, England we can ware shorts in 60degree temps no probs,does this help?

Old 10-14-2008, 12:13 PM

8,183 posts, read 11,083,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YORKSHIREMAN2 View Post
Going to Orlando on 26th December on a family holiday.Really need to know more about the weather.Living in Yorkshire, England we can ware shorts in 60degree temps no probs,does this help?

To be honest with you December is a crapshoot. We've had Christmases when we wore coat and others that shorts and t-shirts were too much to wear.
Your best bet is to watch the weather.
If it shows it's suppose to be 60 or above, I would at least bring a light jacket and long pants for the evenings. Once the sun goes down it can get nippy.
Other than that you should have no problems.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:19 PM

58 posts, read 120,068 times
Orlando's winters are more like a colder version of Fall. There are maybe 3-5 days where its freezing cold in the morning, like around 30 degrees. But on an average winter morning, it's about in the upper 40s and warms up to the upper or mid 60s or lower 70s. That's just my estimate and of course there are variations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando