Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 08:08 AM

3 posts, read 12,288 times

Advertisements

We are trying to move from the Gainesville area to the Orlando area. Our agent sent us some listing in Deltona that look really nice, but left me wondering whether there is something wrong with the area. Are the insurance rates really high (not sure if Deltona was hit during the past few hurricane seasons)? And whats with the sinkholes (I saw a post that this may be an issue)? How are the schools? Any information would be helpful.

Also any ideas of affordable single family housing in the Orlando area, with good schools and neighborhoods?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 08:47 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,157,774 times
Three things you need to know about Deltona. 1. Sink holes - check with your insurance agent, before entering into a contract, to see if there has been sink hole activity in the immediate area; 2. flooding - some areas of Deltona are prone to flooding; 3. Crime - Deltona has a higher than usual crime rate for a smaller town.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:37 PM

10 posts, read 36,410 times
Thumbs up Lake Mary

Hi Gatorgirl o2,

Check out Lake Mary it is only a few exits south of Deltona and has better everything including "A" rated schools, shopping and restaurants. What type of home are you looking for?

Old 02-13-2007, 10:58 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 428,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgirl02 View Post
We are trying to move from the Gainesville area to the Orlando area. Our agent sent us some listing in Deltona that look really nice, but left me wondering whether there is something wrong with the area. Are the insurance rates really high (not sure if Deltona was hit during the past few hurricane seasons)? And whats with the sinkholes (I saw a post that this may be an issue)? How are the schools? Any information would be helpful.

Also any ideas of affordable single family housing in the Orlando area, with good schools and neighborhoods?

Thanks!
Deltona is a VERY nice area if you ask me. We tried to buy a house there, but ended up not working out.

Here are some considerations when thinking about moving to Deltona.

1. If you work in Orlando, you will spend 3 - 4 hours per day to and from work. Traffic will be a nightmare, I-4 is the only route to get to Orlando as of now.

2. Deltona is a "bedroom community". THis means, it's like 90% residential.

3. Deltona is all divided up into lots. Very few subdivisions... most of the houses are individuals that buy lots and build whatever they want in that lot. This mean that if you buy next door to a slob, the value of your property will be lowered because the next door neighbor refuses to cut their grass or paint their house. You will also see $1,000,000 houses next to $150,000 ones (nice, not junky ones).

4. Deltona is known as Dulltona. This is because there isn't much to do. You will have to drive a bit to get somewhere with major atractions or even the movies.

Overall, it is affordable and farily safe. You will like it, as long as you bear the above in mind.

God bless!
Christian

Old 02-14-2007, 08:14 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,157,774 times
I'm sort of surprised at Christian11's positive comments on Deltona, given his fear of areas that have reported criminal activity. Remember the X-Box murders? That's just one example.

Quote:
Deltona is all divided up into lots. Very few subdivisions...
This is a contradictory statement. If you live on a "lot", you live in a platted subdivision. Lot & Block descriptions are the definition of a subdivision - how do you think a large tract of formerly farm land got divided up into 1/4 acre lots? Thus, Deltona is full of subdivisions.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 12,288 times
Thank you all for your help and advice. I will make certain to check with my insurance agent. And thanks for the info on Lake Mary I was looking at a few houses in that area.
Is the drive really that long to get into Orlando? 3-4hrs? Wow, I was thinking more like 45minutes (but I'm not used to that type of traffic).

Old 02-14-2007, 11:54 AM

208 posts, read 971,966 times
I think that is a gross exaggeration but I could be wrong gatorgirl. You may be looking at over an hour each way though depending on how bad they traffic gets.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:08 PM

467 posts, read 1,685,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgirl02 View Post
Thank you all for your help and advice. I will make certain to check with my insurance agent. And thanks for the info on Lake Mary I was looking at a few houses in that area.
Is the drive really that long to get into Orlando? 3-4hrs? Wow, I was thinking more like 45minutes (but I'm not used to that type of traffic).
it is never 3-4 hours long. i work with many people from lake mary and it takes them 45 mins and sometimes less and sometimes an hour. sounds like someone is terrorizing the board again.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,382 times
Default I love Deltona

I am relocating to PA from Deltona. I love Deltona. It's far enough away from the cities but close enough to drive to Daytona or Orlando to find something to do. Grocery, shopping, etc. are within short drives. As far as the drive down I-4 into Orlando it does NOT take 3-4 hrs. I drive it everyday and it takes me a little over an hour. There are various routes to take besides I-4, such as 17-92 or 417 (toll). We have a 4 bedroom home with an oversized inground pool that is going on the market next week in a very nice section of Deltona Lakes. No sinkholes, taxes are a bit high and in the past 4 yrs we've had very little damage due to hurricanes. No flooding either. If you're interested in the home let me know (it appraised 08/06 for 195k).

Old 02-19-2007, 02:40 PM

47 posts, read 291,166 times
There can be some flooding issues in Deltona is it was platted and developed with out very much if any attention paid to stormwater runoff. Deltona is fairly hilly, so in wet seasons and during heavy rain you can get localized flooding problems. Check the grading of any lot/house you are looking at to make sure the water drains away and not into the lot/house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando