U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-15-2008, 10:57 PM

58 posts, read 123,670 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to remind anybody moving to Orlando, Florida of two things that almost never get discussed.

1)Orlando's transit system . . . . . Deplorable.

Just a little point I'd like to make because I struggle with this till my next car. If you don't have a car or are, like me, your car doesn't work and are expecting to rely on a public transportation system, you're in for a horrible surprise. Orlando is not a classic or older city. The car was invented and has been used for decades before Orlando's boom. It's also just simply just part of Florida culture to get around by car. Therefore, the budget and amount of concern for Orlando's LYNX bus system is very much neglected and low priority.

First of all, most routes are only covered every half-hour. Some routes only get run every HOUR!!!!!!!! Most routes start running less frequently after 7:30 PM and stop running entirely after 11PM. There is no such thing as relying on the bus to take you back home after enjoying the bar or club downtown. LYNX busses never run between 12 AM midnight and 4:15 AM in the morning. The case is worse on the weekends, when many people would need to shop, party, and whatnot, where many routes run less frequently all day long and end the day even earlier. And if your trying to commute on Sundays, forget it. Some routes aren't available, period. The rest stop running after 8 or 9 PM. Only select routes run a better schedule than this. Additionally, many busses only carry racks for 2 bikes. With a crappy system like this, biking has become quite popular. If the rack is full, guess what. You'll be waiting another 30 min. or finding another route. And no, there are no rails or trains . . . . . not yet.

DO NOT COME TO ORLANDO WITHOUT A CAR!!!! AND ONCE YOU GET HERE, MAINTAIN YOUR CAR!!! Because once your car's engine goes, you are SERIOUSLY out of luck.

2) As a resident of Florida, be prepared to deal with the threat of
hurricanes.

If you're not prepared for the idea of packing up belongings and necessities or stocking up on non-perishables or paying for flood insurance or higher homeowner's insurance, you may want to reconsider Florida. Fortunately, Orlando is not right on Florida's east coast and is well above sea level and not close to any rivers. Also Miami and The Keys seem to catch the most hurricane threat and damage. However, worrying about the threat to your home or possessions almost every 2 weeks from Aug.- Sept. is a pretty routine annual event. If you've always been one of those people who watch the weather and say, " So glad I don't have to do all that packing up and unpacking and being chased out of town, think long and hard. Hurricanes are a reality here in the Southeast.

Just 2 points I'd like to run by future movers.

I'm personally more worried about how in my future to deal with the crime and cold weather of Philadelphia, but this is just my input.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 05:47 PM

331 posts, read 808,490 times
Hurricanes are predictable and can be tracked. I'd rather deal with them any day over a snow storm, blizzard, tsunami, or earthquake! We don't get hit hard every year, and depending on the area of Florida you're in, you may not get hit hard at all. South Florida is typically the worst for hurricanes, but otherwise it's paradise

Anyway, you forgot to mention the HORRIBLE INFRASTRUCTURE! Even if you're lucky enough to own a vehicle, it will still be a nightmare trying to make your way through the city in a timely and efficient manner

Old 10-22-2008, 04:16 PM

58 posts, read 123,670 times
This is true, and it's taking construction crews forever to adjust to Orlando's population increase. But I guess it's a matter of money and funds. It would be nice to have more lampposts on the east side of town, especially since this economy is breeding and spreading the crime out in Orlando. Riding your bike or walking on E. Colonial (SR 50) at night is dangerous with all the darkness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando