Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 11:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,517 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husbund and I are thinking about relocating to Orlando. The idea of living there is so thrilling. Is it true that the weather is warm all year, and you can go swimming in the winter? And does anyone know of any bicycle clubs there? We are bicyclists and want to find the bike trails, and are the roads/streets bicycle friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 11:56 PM

19 posts, read 63,943 times
We live in Lake Mary, FL. This is an incredibly safe, green and family-oriented area. I have photos posted on this site. We want to move to NC to be closer to my family (we have a new baby). Let me know how I can help navigate the photos, etc.

Last edited by cmj_fla; 10-19-2008 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: personal info removed

Old 10-19-2008, 04:58 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
I would not say the weather is warm and that you can go swimming "all" year round in Orlando. Orlando has quite a few cold snaps in the winter. If you want swimming weather all year round try South Florida.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:17 AM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I would not say the weather is warm and that you can go swimming "all" year round in Orlando. Orlando has quite a few cold snaps in the winter. If you want swimming weather all year round try South Florida.
I second this. You really cannot swim year round in the Orlando area.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:00 AM

872 posts, read 1,713,467 times
Most of the roads/streets are not bcycle friendly at all. There are pockets here and there that are OK in Winter Park that are scenic. We do get a few cool snaps but coming from Missouri this place is so much warmer in the winter. There were numerous days last winter that topped out in the low 80's but with some chilly nights the water might only be in the 60's.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:14 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,183 times
Warm all winter and swimming all winter?

Well, it all depends on temperature. I've seen temps in daytime as low as 69 degrees. Nighttime temps can fluctuate a lot in the winter, as low as the upper 40's.

When you move to a warmer climate, your body does adjust. So, when you first move to Florida, 69 degrees will seem warm, after a year or so, that'll feel chilly.

Biking? Depends where you move. If you move to Oviedo/Lake Mary, their are some off road trail I could point you to, but I'm not sure if you meant road or off road(mt.biking).

Old 10-20-2008, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 4,517 times
Default Screened in Pools?

Thank you all for your input. You've enlightened me to what it's really like in winter in Orlando. I'm a little dissapointed that it wont be warm enough to swim all year. Moving to southern Fl might be an option, but my husband's job would be at Fed Ex National LTL in Orlando so we couldn't stray too far south.
I have been going online also to look at real estate around the Orlando area. I noticed alot of homes have pools which are screened in with this big dome shaped enclosure. Is this to keep the bugs away or is it a HOA rule, or what?
I have been visiting Fl websites to learn as much as I can before our move, which would be in a few months.

Thanks again!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:42 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,149,121 times
You cross a climate zone when you get into the Vero Beach area, so that may also be an option for a healthy middle ground if you choose somewhere south of Melbourne, but north of West Palm Beach. Just a thought, though these areas are still 60-90 minutes from Orlando as well.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:29 PM

46 posts, read 246,094 times
Actually there is an excellent system of bike trails around Orlando- there is the West Orange (22+ miles) and Seminole trail (14+ miles) and quite a few others- Biking Orlando's Paved Trails. There is a plan to link these together which has been progressing steadily. Once my bike arrives from Boston, I'm planning to take advantage. Many roads in the Southwest Orlando area have bike lanes. Excellent biking opportunities near Mt Dora as well, which has some truly rolling roads.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:49 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostontoorlando View Post
Actually there is an excellent system of bike trails around Orlando- there is the West Orange (22+ miles) and Seminole trail (14+ miles) and quite a few others- Biking Orlando's Paved Trails. There is a plan to link these together which has been progressing steadily. Once my bike arrives from Boston, I'm planning to take advantage. Many roads in the Southwest Orlando area have bike lanes. Excellent biking opportunities near Mt Dora as well, which has some truly rolling roads.

That should be nice and the weather will be great for riding...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando