Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:56 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times

Advertisements

Are your job quips in reply to me? Because I am in agreement with BostontoOrlando...

I believe there are very specific job markets that are starving for good folks down there...my hubby has the offer, and we are only deciding if we want to move. Its a six figure salary and the increase from here to there covers my salary in its entirety. So, there are niche markets there...you just gotta have the skill set for the markets.

Otherwise..I agree, its a pretty tough town job-wise My pay is gonna stink...lol relatively speaking....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 09:23 PM

331 posts, read 1,544,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Nigerian View Post
I've since then graduated, but my degree is worthless, especially in the sciences.
I'm only stuck here for maybe another 3 or 3.5 years and wiil DEFINITELY head to Philly.
What's luring you to Philadelphia so much. Can you stand the weather in Chicago, annual 38inches of snow and all? That "worthless" degree could probably get you some 35K/year to start with over there. In fact, your writing skills are better than those of the half-cold bodies that drag themselves in to get hired at 40K+ in Chicago So, "make no small plans"(Chicago's motto) and at least give it some considerations! Who knows, might end up being your kind of town, Chicago is

Old 10-21-2008, 05:48 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Quote:
Florida is in the Southeast, where unions are banned
To the OP, I truly hope you find what your looking for because obviously Orlando or Florida isn't the right place for you.

I quoted the above because this statement is not true. So those of you who take this as fact, I wanted you to be informed. While Unions are not prevelant, in Florida, they are NOT banned.

OP please don't give false statements.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:46 AM

Kali's Grandma,

Thanks for the clarification. Perhaps you can explain to me...what exactly is a right to work state? How does that impact the labor pool and wages there?

I come from PA where unions are prevalent, and wages can be ridiculously high for a high school dropout even...but so can regular layoffs. Also, they would rather hire fewer folks and mandate they work 60-70 hours per week and pay the overtime than hire more workers and pay the benefits. And, before you all jump on the bandwagons and run up here, good luck getting those jobs before the union boss' relatives, nepatism is also rampant, so is corruption, layoffs, politcal favors, etc. While Florida is known for its transient population, Phlly roots run deep, generations deep. And they have favors that run generationally deep.

Good thing is tho, if you get that job at Boeing, or GM, its a good chance after a couple years and a GED that you will be making 50k with benefits. You will also be working your tail off.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:00 AM

558 posts, read 1,834,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
Perhaps you can explain to me...what exactly is a right to work state? How does that impact the labor pool and wages there?

I come from PA where unions are prevalent, and wages can be ridiculously high for a high school dropout even...but so can regular layoffs. Also, they would rather hire fewer folks and mandate they work 60-70 hours per week and pay the overtime than hire more workers and pay the benefits. And, before you all jump on the bandwagons and run up here, good luck getting those jobs before the union boss' relatives, nepatism is also rampant, so is corruption, layoffs, politcal favors, etc. While Florida is known for its transient population, Phlly roots run deep, generations deep. And they have favors that run generationally deep.

Good thing is tho, if you get that job at Boeing, or GM, its a good chance after a couple years and a GED that you will be making 50k with benefits. You will also be working your tail off.
I'm from PA also so I can compare it to Florida. Right to Work (for less) laws are union busting in nature. They take away all power from unions since no one is required to join and pay dues. It sounds good but without money unions can't defend you properly in arbitration. Thus workers can be fired for any or no reason at all (blink, sneeze, cough, etc) and wages are much much lower for everyone. The working conditions here are atrocious and disgusting compared to PA.

Even people with college degrees here are flipping burgers. Without a degree you are screwed due to all the illegal immigrants.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:13 AM

Welll.....not required to join...but may join if they choose? It's all about the personal responsibility again, right? Apparently no one chooses to join, so no one can complain about their crappy wages then, right?

Here, if you don't join, you cannot work. Even if you want to start your own business, the unions will slash your work van tires, vandalize it, steal your stuff. Mafia style. Join, or die.(figuratively...your business will die...not your person) I know...my dad tried to start his own electrician business. It was a total disgrace what they did to him. My feeling is, if you are the union, and you can do the job better and more efficiently, then bring it in at a better price....but they can't. So instead of trying to be more effecient, they destroy the competition.

Which is the worse of two evils? The workers have choice there, right? Or do the employers just fire everyone who joins the unions? And there are so many willing to work for less,...is that how it goes? Which pretty much would stink also....Workers have to stick together for better wages. If you can actually believe that Boeing Seattle is currently striking in this economic environment......crrrraaaaaazy!!!!!!!

Its also my understanding that Florida is not full of illegals but Puerto Ricans who are not illegals, but considered Americans....is that incorrect?

Last edited by Parrotrosie; 10-21-2008 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: add a thought

Old 10-21-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
Welll.....not required to join...but may join if they choose? It's all about the personal responsibility again, right? Apparently no one chooses to join, so no one can complain about their crappy wages then, right?

Which is the worse of two evils? The workers have choice there, right? Or do the employers just fire everyone who joins the unions? And there are so many willing to work for less,...is that how it goes? Which pretty much would stink also....Workers have to stick together for better wages.

Its also my understanding that Florida is not full of illegals but Puerto Ricans who are not illegals, but considered Americans....is that incorrect?
Non union employees benefit from unions because wages are driven up and in order to keep non union employees from going union, they pay them fair and treat them right. Since Florida is a Right to Work state,that is not the case here. Workers should stick together but in Florida everyone is so afraid of losing their jobs that they allow themselves to be taken advantage of. Plenty of new residents to fill spots if anyone complains.

Who told you Florida isn't full of illegals? There's Cubans floating over everyday.

I wish I stayed in PA.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:06 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Nigerian View Post
Anyway, my major point is I'd like to thank people for helping me to realize the jobs here probably pay lower than the rest of the country, and I believe it! Florida is in the Southeast, where unions are banned.
That's not 100% true.

Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama I know for sure are full of unions. I was in a union ( UFCW ) for 5 years when I moved here.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:07 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Who told you Florida isn't full of illegals? There's Cubans floating over everyday.
Wet foot, Dry foot. If you don't know what it is, look it up on wikipedia.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Wet foot, Dry foot. If you don't know what it is, look it up on wikipedia.
, Wet feet, dry feet policy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando