Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:45 AM

558 posts, read 1,835,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Who told you Florida isn't full of illegals? There's Cubans floating over everyday.
I forgot the "also" in between There's and Cubans . Was meant to mean there are a lot of illegal immigrants and there's also legal cubans coming all the time flooding the job market .

Central Florida Roads Are Pipelines For Illegal Immigration - News Story - WFTV Orlando
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 05:10 PM

58 posts, read 182,509 times
Quote:
I'm from PA also so I can compare it to Florida. Right to Work (for less) laws are union busting in nature. They take away all power from unions since no one is required to join and pay dues. It sounds good but without money unions can't defend you properly in arbitration. Thus workers can be fired for any or no reason at all (blink, sneeze, cough, etc) and wages are much much lower for everyone. The working conditions here are atrocious and disgusting compared to PA.

Even people with college degrees here are flipping burgers. Without a degree you are screwed due to all the illegal immigrants.
I thankfully stand corrected. If nobody else disputes Lakeland Yankee's description of right-to-work laws and how they relate to unions, I accept this as true. People have told me "There are no unions in Florida.", of course a general statement, but I guess I assumed then that they were prohibited. And I thought I also read in books that unions were prohibited in the Southeast. I do know though that there are very few of them here in Florida. They also offer POOR protection from employers. I am familiar with the right-to-work laws of the South meaning you and employers can separate without reason at any time, but I'm not too familiar with it's dealings with unions. But thank you Lakeland Yankee.

It is true though, that you CAN be fired here for anything. It is so EASY for a racist, sexist, hateful employer or employer who just doesn't get along with you to just one week leave you off their schedule or tell you "Goodbye." I was left off the schedule eventually one week when I worked at Steak 'N Shake, didn't even notify me I was fired. They just simply replaced me with another hire. And then some companies, such as the omnipotent, almighty Wal Mart, who will do ANYTHING to save a dollar, will in rough times when business is too slow, find ANY reason to just get rid of you, even in sneaky ways. I remember when I worked there, one guy had an accident and management apparently was not too happy to pay Workman's Comp. So, after he left work on one shift, I guess they called the cops on him and "tattled" that he had a suspended license or something like that. They really hated him for getting into that accident and were desperate for a way to get him off their staff.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider1 View Post
What's luring you to Philadelphia so much. Can you stand the weather in Chicago, annual 38inches of snow and all? That "worthless" degree could probably get you some 35K/year to start with over there. In fact, your writing skills are better than those of the half-cold bodies that drag themselves in to get hired at 40K+ in Chicago So, "make no small plans"(Chicago's motto) and at least give it some considerations! Who knows, might end up being your kind of town, Chicago is
No offense outsider1, but, even though I was born in NYC, New York, I am such a stereotypical African and black person. I hate the cold, can't stand it. I could put up with anything above 35 degrees, but anything below that on a regular basis in winter I'm really not looking forward too, which means I'll have a hard enough time adjusting to Northeastern weather. And even though I know eastern Pennsylvania is cold, I just can't deal with all that lake-effect weather in Chicago. I remember last winter, on a typical February winter day, THE HIGH FOR THE DAY WOULD BE ABOUT 27 DEGREES!!!!!!!! Oh HEEEEEELL NAH!! No No No No No! If it wasn't for the weather and high crime, I think I might consider Chicago. Maybe, I might even have to. Who knows.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
oh..nevermind...I just saw your post on the other thread Orlando that you want to be a neuroscientist..but not around hospitals. Well...Philly is fulllll of hospitals Perhaps the options posted above are well worth looking into!!
I don't mind working at hospitals at all, Parrotrosie. I was just saying those are the only obvious research opportunities here in Orlando. Orlando doesn't exactly have an abundance of hospitals like Philadelphia. But I wouldn't mind working in a hospital research lab at all. Work experience there would be just as good as at a research lab.

I welcome any more comments from any posters, especially if you came to Orlando from outside of Florida. Also, you have to excuse me. I don't know how to do multiple quotes in one reply.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Nigerian View Post
But thank you Lakeland Yankee.
You're welcome.

Quote:
It is true though, that you CAN be fired here for anything. It is so EASY for a racist, sexist, hateful employer or employer who just doesn't get along with you to just one week leave you off their schedule or tell you "Goodbye."
It's sad but true, happens all the time here. Whether you like unions or not , you are still better off living in a Pro-union state for many reasons......Right to Work for Less (http://www.aflcio.org/issues/legislativealert/stateissues/work/ - broken link).

I wish the people in Florida would realize this and work to change the Right to Work law.

Last edited by Lakeland Yankee; 10-22-2008 at 09:06 PM..

Old 10-24-2008, 08:47 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,357 times
I am not sticking up for the Right to Work laws, as this is my first exposure to this, but, looking at the AFL-CIO link you gave (they do have an agenda....lol) and they give interesting statistics in their favor regarding wages and safety....I would like to know what the employment/unemployment rates are in their industry is in the right to work vs non-right to work states. I think that might be interesting to know.

Orlando, why are you waiting to pay off debt to move? Can you not move to get a better job and the work on the debt? You would be in a better position to do so with a better paying job! I say...go for it! Make a big positive move!!! could it be possible?

Old 10-25-2008, 03:06 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:

Who told you Florida isn't full of illegals? There's Cubans floating over everyday.

I wish I stayed in PA.
It is nearly impossible to be illegal and Cuban.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
It is nearly impossible to be illegal and Cuban.
I already fixed my typo . Maybe you missed it. Sometimes it helps to read ALL the posts...............

Quote:
I forgot the "also" in between There's and Cubans . Was meant to mean there are a lot of illegal immigrants and there's also legal cubans coming all the time flooding the job market .

Last edited by Lakeland Yankee; 10-25-2008 at 04:28 PM..

Old 10-25-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
Orlando, why are you waiting to pay off debt to move? Can you not move to get a better job and the work on the debt? You would be in a better position to do so with a better paying job! I say...go for it! Make a big positive move!!! could it be possible?
Parrotrosie, I would but it's just too much of a big step right now, especially one requiring money. Remember, I don't even have a car!! I know you don't need one in Philly, but I would prefer to have one. I also need to improve my credit scores and ratings. I also would prefer to be close to family for at least a few more yrs., especially after I get another car. I can make a year or so of final visits to my parents before moving REALLY far away.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:31 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Parrotrosie, I would but it's just too much of a big step right now, especially one requiring money. Remember, I don't even have a car!! I know you don't need one in Philly, but I would prefer to have one. I also need to improve my credit scores and ratings. I also would prefer to be close to family for at least a few more yrs., especially after I get another car. I can make a year or so of final visits to my parents before moving REALLY far away.
You would be better off moving to Atlanta. You would be much closer to family and the city would offer everything you are looking for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando