Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:14 PM

19 posts, read 49,035 times

Advertisements

We just pulled our son from PS to homeschool him. The services here for Aspie kids is nonexistant. He was mainstreamed with a speech "class" 2 x's a week. He has social and behavioral issues and didn't qualify for any other services. It was such a horrible experience he's now homeschooled and we're moving to another state. I have talked to numerous people and talked to CARD and talked to local Aspie support groups and have heard nothing but horror stories. Enough to get us to move ASAP. I'm so sad for my little guy. We did as much as any parent could do short of holding his hand all day IN class. Our child psychologist asked us point blank "did you look at the school systems here before you moved down? there's a reason why people pay the RE taxes they do where you're from."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 06:46 PM

5 posts, read 19,220 times
I've had quite the opposite experience with my Aspie son (10 years old). We moved from a very highly rated upstate NY school district. When we were still up there, I was told by my son's Kindergarden teacher that the ONLY help he would get until he was in 6th grade would be speech articulation...which he did not need! She told me, point blank, to put him in private school. Well, then we moved to Florida and guess what?

He's gone from 1st to 5th grade (which he's in now) in a wonderful Public school. He has had several teachers each year work with him. His main teachers (who have twice "rolled" to the next grade...a wonderful thing for kids who don't do change well) have been awsome. But then he's also had an SLD (Speech and Lauguage Development) teacher all these years. He's gifted (135 IQ) so even with this IEP classification, he's in the AGP (gifted) Math and Science classes!! Even his Pediatric Neurologist was impressed with this! (In fact, he's one of only five students on the "Math Bowl Team" which will be competing for Hillsborough county next Tuesday.) He has an additional person to help him with just reading, and another "aide" person to help him organize his backpack and agenda....since organization is such a huge problem for him. And I believe he is the only diagnosed Aspie in the school. Everyone knows him (he MAKES himself be known) and everyone seems to love him. One of his very favorite places to be is school.

.....and all he would have gotten in NY is Speech Articulation.... I count my blessings every day that we moved here.

All this being said, there is a HUGE difference in public schools in Florida. Don't put your child in any school other than one that is "A" rated....VERY had to find around Orlando, but they are there.

We are now moving up the the Oviedo area in the late spring (which is why I'm on THIS board), and I've already contacted the middle school. I've been dreading middle school for years! Well, when I called and explained I had an Aspie son, and that he might need some extra help, etc., the lady said they had programs for both mainstreamed and pull-out autistic kids....and did I want to talk to the teacher in charge of the autistic program. AWESOME!!

Old 02-05-2008, 01:50 PM

47 posts, read 285,501 times
kmgoodwin50, have you moved to Oviedo yet? Which middle school will your son be attending? Thanks.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:24 AM

19 posts, read 49,035 times
kmgoodwin...wow what a difference between counties. Our story took place in VOlusia county. I asked about an aide for the same reason and couldn't get one. Sounds like Hillsborough is on the ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando