Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2008, 08:40 PM

15 posts, read 36,159 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Memphis, TN. Memphis is one of the national capitals of murder, corrupt government, and crime in the U.S. I want out so bad that I'm about to bust.

I've considered Central FL for a relocation area. But, I'm seriously getting mixed reviews. The dude that has the "orlando sucks" website seems to think that Orlando and outlying areas should be a demilitarized zone. I wonder if he's seen the statistics that you're safer in BAGHDAD than you are in Memphis.

So, what are your thoughts? Is the area as bad as all that? What are the worst areas, or the areas to stay away from? I just want a nice place to raise my children, without the HUGELY imminent threat of murder, rape, assault, or other crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 09:21 PM

21 posts, read 63,805 times
I'm going to Orlando and to be honest I'm not afraid of the city. Here u just read terrible things about the city, seems that If you walk around the city you will be murdered or robbed. I talked to friends who live there and they have never seen anything bad happening. I prefer to believe in what I see and not in what I read.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:49 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,213 times
Just stay out of bad areas and you'll be allright!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:25 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Stick to Seminole County and you should be fine. Places like Oviedo, Lake Mary, Winter Springs are great choices.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:48 AM

39 posts, read 190,006 times
Keep in mind, many people that are so against Orlando may have never lived in or near a large city, and have never experienced city life. And I haven't read the blog you're referring to, so I'm not sure what that person's experiences have been. I do know that I lived in South Jersey half my life and I'm much more frightened there than I am in downtown Orlando. I can't tell you how many times my children and I have walked around Lake Eola and haven't encountered one problem. Obviously, not to say it doesn't happen...

Stay away from Pine Hills and most parts of Kissimmee. If you do your research of which places to avoid (which you're already doing) and have good common sense, you'll be fine. Now I will admit, the driving there can be horrendous, but it's not as bad in Seminole County.

Seminole County would be my choice to live, however, due to the excellent schools and a more family-like atmosphere. I think you'd be very happy there. Possiby google "Seminole County forums, Lake Mary forums, Oviedo forums," etc. to find additional info from people living there. Orlando's paper is the Orlando Sentinel, not sure what Seminole County's is, but the Sentinel will give you an idea of the location and type of crime going on there. Orlandosentinel.com also has some sort of forum for different parts of town.

But your biggest concern should be employment - what field are you in? Can you transfer?

Wish you all the luck, and keep us posted!

Old 11-02-2008, 07:45 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,540 times
If your coming from places like Memphis TN, Oakland, CA, or Detroit MI, than Orlando may seem like paradise on earth to you.

If your coming from places like Brielle, New Jersey, Rye New York, or Easton, Connecticut then Orlando would seem like a living breathing garbage dump.

It's all relative. Where and how you were raised, lived and live. What expectations you have and demand for youself and or family. What your definition of "Quality of Life", is.

Last edited by markhunt; 11-02-2008 at 08:00 AM..

Old 11-02-2008, 08:00 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
There are many good and safe places in the area. While some say Seminole county the facts are Windermere has the lowest crime of any area and it is Orange county. go figure. There are people that spend way too much time on things they hate, and the reality is they do nothing to make it better for themselves. You have to ask... if they hate it so bad why are they here? the door swings both ways.

I think it is a great place, nice weather, and much to do for a relatively small city.
There are many places besidess Seminole county too. Where to live depends on activities , work, and your lifestyle.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:06 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
I agree with what everyone else has been repeating....it's all relative. Statistics don't tell the real story because they just don't reflect reality of each individual situation. The reality is Orlando is like most other major metro areas, the crime is generally confined to certain areas. West Orange county generally tends to be where most of the crime is unproportionatly concentrated. However if you are in some areas of Seminole like Lake Mary, Oviedo or Altamonte you would think it was so uneventful to the point some would say it's boring. In my opinion, although I have no kids, this is a great place to raise children. I have young nephews here and there is no lack of things to do as far as going to the park, musuems, festivals, etc. As a single person, I always feel like it's better to be a young family in Central Florida than a young single because things here seem to cater more to families. Maybe it's just because my single hunting has not been so successful but it's my take. I would not hesitate to move here if you have 1. Secure Employment and 2. the right attitude. Of course this is the same advice I would suggest for anyone moving anywhere. Good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando