U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 03:07 PM

242 posts, read 741,337 times
Default Do you see SNAKES in your yard?

I was never aware that SNAKES were residing in FLORIDA until last year. Can you tell me, do you see them often? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 04:53 PM

242 posts, read 741,337 times
Default Do you see SNAKES in your yard?

Well, I read about this online, that I forgot what year it was um maybe two years ago, snakes RATTLE SNAKES near the ORLANDO AIRPORT, ugh!!! so rattle snakes are well you know, and I read this online at the Daytona online JOURNAL NEWS that this lady worked very late at a hotel, she had and has to have the Security Guards to walk her to her car, well because EEKS!! the snakes they did not say what type of snakes they are, but the SNAKES are slithering all over the parking lot.... ohhhh that gave me the creeps! So if they what type of snakes??? I don kno if they are in DAYTONA or DAYTONA BEACH area, they gotta be a everywhere DON YOU TINK A SO?

Old 11-22-2008, 05:31 PM

37 posts, read 89,929 times
Yes, snakes are in abundance. But really, just leave them alone - stay away from them and let them go on with their life. They dont "attack" unless they feel threatened.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:54 PM

7,912 posts, read 6,850,281 times
I have seen a couple different types. black racers seem to be around... well until the dogs or hawks see them. I rescued a ring neck from the pool one day too. My mother has seen coral snakes, rattlers and water moccassins in Palm Bay so there are many down here. most are way more affraid of you.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:09 PM

965 posts, read 1,849,884 times
I saw and heard a Rattlesnake in my backyard about a year ago down here in Miami!

Old 11-22-2008, 08:19 PM

557 posts, read 1,151,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapalua View Post
I was never aware that SNAKES were residing in FLORIDA until last year. Can you tell me, do you see them often? Thank you.
I have a Ringneck snake that lives in my shed. He is harmless and always takes off when he sees me. He always returns to the same spot though. Other than him I really don't see a lot of snakes even when I'm deep into the swamps. No need to worry about them, they are more afraid of you than you are of them.

Here's a link identifying different Florida snakes.
List of Florida Snakes (http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-guide/fl-snakeslist.htm - broken link)

Old 11-23-2008, 06:34 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,518,994 times
Since September 2005, I've seen two Black Racers in the yard.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:30 AM

1,783 posts, read 1,753,315 times
Default FL snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapalua View Post
I lived in FL for 2.5 years and learned that there are lots of snakes there. Some of them are poisonous, some not. I rarely saw them; they don't go looking for people and will try to slither away if they see/sense you.

As I have posted in other threads, if you want to keep them off your property, sprinkle mothballs (one for every 6 feet of perimeter) around the outside of your property. I use them or mothball shavings to keep snakes and other critters away here in NC.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:42 AM

23,512 posts, read 30,966,214 times
I've got a pair of black racers that appear in the yard now and then. They won't bother you if you leave them alone, and they take care of rodents and insects.

I had either a coral snake or a milk snake (didn't stick around long enough to figure it out) in a irrigation valve hole, haven't seen anything like that since.

I regularly see little Pine Woods snakes, again they won't bother you and eat harmful insects.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:49 AM

1,783 posts, read 1,753,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've got a pair of black racers that appear in the yard now and then. They won't bother you if you leave them alone, and they take care of rodents and insects.

I had either a coral snake or a milk snake (didn't stick around long enough to figure it out) in a irrigation valve hole, haven't seen anything like that since.

I regularly see little Pine Woods snakes, again they won't bother you and eat harmful insects.
I agree... snakes are useful and also usually not a problem. There was a snake, probably a rattler, who lived under a bush in my backyard (before the herpatologist told me about the mothballs) that I discovered as a hurricane approached. I named him Harvey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando