U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 12:24 PM

18 posts, read 61,046 times
There really aren't many new subdivisions in that area of Lake Mary and Longwood. The new homes that are being built there start at around $1 million and they're usually custom homes. Some larger developments are going up further north on Markham Woods road in Sanford. The price range is good there.

The Markham woods neighborhoods, from what I we've seen on our two visits, are all very nice. It depends on your price range. I can't speak highly enough about using Realtor.com and Zip Realty's websites. You can register with Zip w/o giving your phone numer ;-) More goods sites for comps are Wikibroker.com and Zillow. With most of the websites, you can get an aerial view and maps - use them to get your bearings on the land. The Seminole County public school system has a great search feature for specific addresses. Another thing to consider, too, are the property taxes. They are much higher. You can look at the county's appraiser's website for data on how much tax is paid on specific homes. It varies also from person to person and how long people have resided in the home. Again, research, research, research. We learned not to trust buyer's agents...we're ready to give ours the boot. She has steered us wrong too many times to count. We've found out so much on our own just using the internet that contradicts what she tells us. I've tapped into the resources of this board a number of times, too. For the most part, they give good, sound advice.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'd like someone to benefit from my hours and hours of research ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 11:46 AM

17 posts, read 53,710 times
Thanks for that info. Taxes seem to be rising all over. Every house I'm considering, I've been checking the tax record and the schools for that house.
Thanks and good luck.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,259 times
Default Dr. Phillips

Windermere and Dr. Phillips areas are great family neighborhoods with the price range yoi are looking for. But Heathrow... for 450K... may be alot harder to find. Dr. Philllips schools are rated top. Email me if you need more detailed information! I'd be happy to answer your questions!

Old 03-02-2007, 11:53 AM

4 posts, read 48 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenndotcom View Post
My husband has a new job in the Heathrow area, and we are trying to decide where to live. Is Heathrow worth the money? What do you think of Timucuan? Any other nice developments in LM? (our budget is around 450K for a house)

If not Lake Mary, what would you recommend? Thoughts on Sanford (worried about crime/schools?) or Oviedo?

Any info you have would be appreciated. We are in our mid-30's with a 2-year old, so looking for family-friendly area.
I used to live in Lake Mary back in 2004 (before I lost my place during hurricane Charlie).

Lake Mary is nice, my mom still lves there, however, crime is begining to be a problem, specially gangs of unlawful aliens.

At $450k in Heathrow, you cannot buy anything. Maybe a condo, but you don't wnat to do that.

In Lake Mary, you can buy something decent for $450,000.

Sanford is horrible, stay away. Oviedo is not too bad.

Honestly, maybe you need to come down and check it out for yourself. I was there in the begining of Feb and crime seems very bad anywhere in the Orlando area...

Old 03-02-2007, 03:33 PM

40 posts, read 143,663 times
My best friend lives in Lake Mary off Lake Emma Road in the on of the Huntington subdivisions. They built there house there almost 9 years ago. Her kids all go to A schools and she absolutely loves it. She's close enough to Orlando, but not too close to deal with the stuff going in certain parts. In her neighborhood, around and maybe even under $450 will get you a large house with a pool in a well kept neighborhood and loads of kids. There is a ton of shopping nearby too. The Huntington neighborhoods are:

Huntington Pointe (a mix of smaller and larger homes), Huntington Landing, and Huntington Ridge (this one has larger homes in it). Across the street is Osprey Pointe, built by the same builder but a couple of years older. Different middle and elementary school though.

I would definitely visit and see for yourself and get a feel for the area. Good luck with your search!!

Old 03-03-2007, 01:06 PM

13,309 posts, read 28,662,386 times
Does Lake Mary have anything in the way of traditional neighborhood design, such as the new urbanism type of housing development?

Old 03-04-2007, 09:51 AM

40 posts, read 143,663 times
Colonial Towne Park off 46A has their own version with shops integrated with apartments, but last time I was there I didn't see any houses, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. I just went to a new Community in Casselberry yesterday by Centex Homes called Legacy Park. It's where the Seminole Greyhound Park used to be. It's really built up back there. Very much the whole "town center" feel to it. Nooooo yard though and you are right on top of your neighbors. The houses are really cute though and come with some nice upgrades. These planned development communities are very trendy right now, so I'm sure Lake Mary will come up with their own "version" sooner or later.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:23 PM

10 posts, read 25,591 times
Hi Jennadotcom,

I live in Lake Mary and absolutly love it! We live in a neighborhood very close to Heathrow - ( Magnolia Plantation). I think Heathrow is a beautiful neighborhood, in fact my best friend lives there, her only complaint is that the homes are wood framed and not block, but you will probably find that over Timacuan as well as hurricane codes changed long after those neighborhoods were built. As far as rezoning goes, you will find that in all areas in Fla - as the population is growing faster than schools are being built-
for example : Last year, Lake Brantly High School Rezoned taking kids from the Longwood and and parts of Altamonte and sending them to Lyman HS.
I don't believe Lake Mary has been rezoned recently, if ever, - so they are probably next on the list.
Bottom line the Heathrow / Markham woods area holds its value for a reason
and you are still zoned for "A" rated elementry and middle schools. Hope this helps!

Old 03-14-2007, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,112 times
Lake Mary, Oviedo, Longwood, and Winter Springs are all great cities to check out. Seminole County schools are very good! I live in the Highlands in Winter Springs which is an older neighborhood now but it is a great community based development with it's own elementary school. High house priced at 375.
Tuscawilla is another great development. Check out the website for info on the neighborhoods in WS.
http://www.wintersprings.com/neighborhoods.html#13

Good luck on your search. Alot of beautiful homes on markham woods road in longwood florida also.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:08 PM

47 posts, read 162,203 times
I lived in Oviedo - in Kingsbridge - and loved it. I worked in Lake Mary. It couldn't have been any better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando