Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the worst thing about Orlando?
Rising crime rate 34 50.00%
Increased traffic 13 19.12%
Failing school system 4 5.88%
Other 17 25.00%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:00 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
lol...walk the streets of San Francisco, especially the Tenderloin district, you will see homeless crack heads rolling joints, injecting themselves, and taking ****s guarenteed you will see them doing one or all of them anytime of the day, yet San Francisco happens to be one of the most desired cities to live in the United States. Orlando is a walk in the park compared to most large cities. Honestly, if you are scared of kids who MAY be selling drugs in a parking lot, I don't know where you would feel comfortable. They do that in almost every high school in the United States. I currently live in Boca Raton and no one was killed in the parking lot, there was a serial killer who abducted a couple women from the parking lot. In an area that is known to be one of the safest cities in Florida, crime can happen. It's the people who look like they are vunerable that become the target. Best advice I can give you, is not to worry about it and look confident. Orlando, it''s a driving city, you don't have to worry about walking into a bad section of the mall or a bad section of the grocery store, you just don't drive to the ghetto areas. Mickey Mouse isn't going to earthfarie at Disney World...maybe Pluto might chase her kids (which happened a couple years ago lol), but as she mentioned, you have a much higher chance of getting hit by a car and especially in Orlando the chances are even lower, unless you live in the ghetto, in which you wouldn't be safer anywhere.
Naw I dont think so. Orlando got a bit more crime going on. than in SF. Tenderlion in SF is only about 3 blocks long,and It aint that bad all the time. I been to both. I still like Orlando. the people I met there were real cool as well.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:38 PM

62 posts, read 263,609 times
Yep, I made everything up because I have some weird grudge against Otown. It's really strange since I have family there and a ton of friends and a great hockey team I've played with for 4 years (12 seasons) and I even had an okay job with a lot of great coworkers. Plus, I like to make up stories about my friends and myself getting close to murdered. Whatever.

When I got shot at, no news vans came rushing over to my house to get the story. Heck, it took the St Cloud cops 45 mins to meet me after I called 911. The cop told me getting shot at is not uncommon in that area. If I was actually hit, then the response would have been quicker.

My other friends who were shot at and got robbed made police reports but never contact any newspapers. My friend who was attacked in the lot should be in the paper, but I'm not gonna waste my time finding the link for you b/c you don't need to know his name or his current location. Good luck link hunting.

Even if Orlando has "improved" from the top ten to top 20 for violent crime, that's still horrible, especially since there's been more murders this year than last.

I have already moved out of Orlando. If you like it there, well that's just super, I hope you own a gun and are registered to carry it.

Kinda funny how over half the people who answered the poll chose "rising crime rate" as the biggest problem in Orlando. Looks like you're in the minority.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:31 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,532 times
I know we always slept with the doors unlocked, so did our neighbor. I used to go jogging at midnight when the air was cool and never had a problem. I'd jump into the pool after jogging around 1 am and no one ever mugged me. If you cannot afford to live in a nice area, you won't be safe anywhere. If you can it doesn't matter what city you live in, you can find a safe area, even in Detroit.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:45 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,401 times
I guess I might be in the minority on this "chicken little" message board, but not in Orlando "real life" where people are enjoying their lives completely.

Police reports are made available, which is why still call bull on your stories. It isn't even that dangerous in Pine Hills if you aren't drug hunting.

I am not here to argue with you, I am here to let people know that Orlando ISNT anything like what you doomsayers are making it out to be.

I agree with Jonotastic above. I cannot imagine living anywhere and not locking the doors as that is just stupid. The crime in Orlando, AGAIN, is centered in one area where drugs and prostitution take place. Anyone that thinks crime here is horrible (and especially those thinking they want to move to Nashville or Knoxville TN because it's the new garden of eden) haven't really lived anywhere else or just didnt pay attention.

I couldnt care less what you naysayers think of the city - my goal is to inform people who want to move here that they cannot go on what is said on this board.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:22 PM

Stats don't lie and currently, the stats for Otown are not good. You can keep posting your positive thoughts here, which is great for my original post in this thread since you keep bumping it to the top of the list. My message is an honest one to people who care about the same things I do when moving to a new area. Anyone who reads this thread may realize Orlando isn't great for everyone and they will hopefully do their own research about the crime and other problems there.

Before I moved to Seattle, I did my research and the number one complaint I found was "gloomy weather". That's it? Gray clouds in the sky is the WORST thing about Seattle? Pfft, see ya Otown!

Old 12-16-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I know we always slept with the doors unlocked, so did our neighbor. I used to go jogging at midnight when the air was cool and never had a problem. I'd jump into the pool after jogging around 1 am and no one ever mugged me. If you cannot afford to live in a nice area, you won't be safe anywhere. If you can it doesn't matter what city you live in, you can find a safe area, even in Detroit.
Growing up, we never slept with the doors unlocked even when we lived in gated neighborhoods or in skyscrapers that had front doormen. Both my parents would rather be safe than sorry, I guess, and the habit transferred over to me.

I could afford to live in nice areas like Winter Park, Metro West, Altamonte Springs, and an awesome gated-community on I-Drive (by Sea World). My friends lived in nice areas like Thornton Park, Winter Park, and a gated-community in Clermont. Yet, all of us experienced violent crime somewhere in Greater Orlando. It doesn't have to happen on your block, it can happen when you go to the comedy club downtown, or to see a Magic game, or simply leaving an ice rink in the boonies of St Cloud.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:52 PM

33 posts, read 147,681 times
At least in Seattle, you don't have to worry about waking up in the morning, and your d***** house being in a sink hole. Building houses on swamps has never been a smart idea to me. Maybe I'm just >>>> well you know. And further more, the residents wonder why the alligators are in their back yard. They have it backwards, the houses are in the alligator's back yard.

[quote=Jonotastic;6430273]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinDonor View Post

I lived in Seattle and know all about Redmond. Regarding crime, like I said, it depends on which area in the city you live. In Dr. Phillips we literally slept with our doors unlocked. I would jog at midnight when the sun was down and never feel like I was in danger. Orlando is a sprawled out city, so different sections have different crime rates. $750/month is dirt cheap! When I was living in San Francisco...$1900 for a small 1 bedroom plus $300 to park my car. Hong Kong...shoot lol..4000 sq ft house could easily cost $10 MILLION! Redmond is considered far from Seattle, which is why it is cheap. Seattle is a lot more expensive than Orlando, I find it a much nicer city, but it's a lot more expensive. Our house when we lived there cost $1 million in 2000 and at one point during the housing boom it was wort $3.3 million. That same house in Orlando would have cost around $600,000 when the value was $3.3 million. Every city has bad areas, crime ridden areas. I don't think you understand my comparison. America has one of the highest crime rates in the world. Does that mean it's a dangerous country to live in? No why? Because some cities are safer than other and within each city some districts are safer than others and withing each district some streets are safer than others.

*add*
Check Seattle real estate prices compared to Orlando.
Redmond isn't Seattle, it would be considered somewhere like Sanford

Old 12-16-2008, 04:11 PM

Hey, that quote was from Jonotastic, not me. It looks like it's my quote....

Old 12-16-2008, 05:10 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,764 times
"Anyone that thinks crime here is horrible (and especially those thinking they want to move to Nashville or Knoxville TN"

I used to live somewhat close to Knoxville. Man that place is dangerous (sarcasm).

Old 12-16-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
"Anyone that thinks crime here is horrible (and especially those thinking they want to move to Nashville or Knoxville TN"

I used to live somewhat close to Knoxville. Man that place is dangerous (sarcasm).
Yes! Compared to Orlando, Knoxville is worse than Beruit!!!

(more sarcasm)

According to city-data.com's crime index, there's about 45% more crime in Orlando (960.7) than Knoxville (675.1). USA average is (320.9). So both cities have higher crime, there's just a lot more of it in Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando