Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:10 AM

195 posts, read 741,330 times

Advertisements

I like Chinese culture and I like to hang out in Chinatown! I will be moving to Orlando, Florida soon. Is there a Chinatown down there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 04:28 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
No Chinatown but there is a Vietnamese town on the corner of E. Colonial Drive and Mills Avenue.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:37 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
There is an area of West Colonial Drive that they tried to put up a Chinatown like gate that you see in other major cities' Chinatowns because there are quite a few Chinese residents and Chinese owned businesses. It is not in the nicest part of town so I have not really been there too many times. I think it is somewhere in the 3000-5000 block of West Colonial where there is a Bubble tea shop (Taiwanese, not Chinese). This may be worth your research and a visit, but I warned you that it is in a rougher area. The area where the Vietnamese restaurants and shops are is much nicer, and some of the restaurants are from other countries of origin like a few dim sum restaurants and Thai places intermingled with what is mainly Vietnamese restaurants.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:23 AM

631 posts, read 2,450,700 times
What are you looking for? The downtown area of Mills and Colonial isn't just Vietnamese. It is Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, etc. IF you are looking for something like what you would find in NY, then no, not even close.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:04 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Our Asian district here is more of retail center than a cultural center. If you're looking to get immersed in the culture I would suggest contacting the various Temples and Community Organizations around the area. I believe Asian American Heritage Council is the city (county?) organization.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:40 PM

Thank you!
Your comments are important to me!

Old 12-16-2008, 11:15 AM

118 posts, read 479,939 times
they have "CHINA" in Epcot. does that count?

---y are u moving here if u dont mind me asking? im from boston(yankees suck) and i miss the public transportation, scenery, food, diversity and culture. orlando lacks all of these in my opinion. u will surely miss nyc in a short time......

Old 12-17-2008, 07:10 PM

Default Employment is the reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suericio View Post
they have "CHINA" in Epcot. does that count?

---y are u moving here if u dont mind me asking? im from boston(yankees suck) and i miss the public transportation, scenery, food, diversity and culture. orlando lacks all of these in my opinion. u will surely miss nyc in a short time......
Moving from north to the south like that, I expect to encounter a "cultural shock." To what degree, I do not know at this point.
The reason is employment and this is the reason for me to move. At the beginning, it was Lakeland. Now, it more like Orlando.
I am always thinking Florida is culturally diverse. I guess this is not the case.
Regarding to the food, I am not expecting too much. Public transportation? I think I will have to drive my car down there.
What surprise me is that some of the comments right here..."There is nothing to do down here."
Correct me if I am wrong! Don't you think there are a lot of lakes, beaches, cruise ships to Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America. Key West is another. There are so many places to visit, then how come people are saying that there is nothing to do down there.
Let me know if you know the answer!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 25,549 times
Hi NY Traveler - I relocated from NYC five years ago. Lived in Queens my whole life; spouse is from Brooklyn near Sheepshead Bay. Orlando is not NY of course. But I love it here. There are things that you will miss from Brooklyn for sure. But Orlando has a lot to offer - it also depends on what you're looking for specifically.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:58 PM

118 posts, read 479,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.Traveler View Post
Moving from north to the south like that, I expect to encounter a "cultural shock." To what degree, I do not know at this point.
The reason is employment and this is the reason for me to move. At the beginning, it was Lakeland. Now, it more like Orlando.
I am always thinking Florida is culturally diverse. I guess this is not the case.
Regarding to the food, I am not expecting too much. Public transportation? I think I will have to drive my car down there.
What surprise me is that some of the comments right here..."There is nothing to do down here."
Correct me if I am wrong! Don't you think there are a lot of lakes, beaches, cruise ships to Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America. Key West is another. There are so many places to visit, then how come people are saying that there is nothing to do down there.
Let me know if you know the answer!
---- every place has alot to offer. but to me orlando does have things to offer but in different ways. theme parks, beaches, and such. ppl say that there is nothing to do because thats what there life is limited to. i bet u that person doesnt get out of orlando area at all. i guess it has alot of outdoor activities to offer whereas nyc has like artsy stuff to offer. everytime ppl say there is nothing to do, i always say theres always something to do, its just a matter of doing it......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando