Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Visiting Florida: Orlando hotel, downtown, hire a car.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:34 PM

109 posts, read 281,190 times

Advertisements

I am planning a visit to Orlando in Feb. to visit a friend and he lives outside of the downtown area that isn't very walkable so I will not be staying with him. I do not drive a car nor do I plan on renting one for the visit so I am interested in an area that has some shopping, restaurants and is very walkable and close to bus stops would be nice as well in case I want to venture outside downtown. I have looked at places and Orlando seems to be spread out and I am wondering if Orlando will have what I want. Should I just tell him if he wants to visit he should come here? I am not interested in tourist attractions, sorry. Any thoughts on a area for my needs and wants would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 12:44 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,149,121 times
I would stay downtown or even better would be park avenue in Winter Park.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:16 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Although it's very touristy you may also want to consider I-Drive. You can walk to most restaraunts there and there is an I-drive trolley that will take you to the main shopping malls on the I-Drive strip.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:25 PM

62 posts, read 263,629 times
If you want to do the touristy thing (not just attractions, but lots of shopping and restaurants), definitely look for I-Drive hotels north of the 528 and south of Kirkman rd. If you search right, you'll find some great hotel deals on certain websites out there. My dad came to visit me and found a 3-star hotel on I-Drive for only $49/night (March '08). It's relatively safe there, so many tourists walking around and many 24-hour establishments for shopping and food.

If you want to visit the "real" Orlando, I would suggest paying a little more and staying downtown. The bars are open everynight and there are a few good eateries. Not much shopping though, unless you take a cab to one of the various malls in the area. Be smart, though. Don't walk around downtown Orlando too late. When the bars close at 2-3am, the "element" pours out of certain clubs and you'll be in the middle of a warzone. The intersection of Orange and Central is a madhouse at 3am.

Winter Park (Park Ave) is one of the nicest areas in Orlando. If there any hotels there (probably pricey), it will be worth it. There are a bunch of cool local restaurants and boutique shops up and down Park Ave. Plus, you can sneak onto the Rollins College campus and gawk at all the pretty co-eds. Giggity. Once again, stick to Park Ave and don't wander too far and you'll be fine.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:12 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times
Stay on International Drive, it's about the only walkable area in Orlando that is designed for walking around. There's nothing to do in Downtown besides a few bars and clubs. Winter Park will take 5 minutes to walk the downtown. It's a nice area to live in Orlando, but as a tourist, I would be bored out of my mind.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:57 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,044 times
going to Orlando and not having a car is like going fishing without a fishing pole. It just doesnt work. Orlando is not New York City.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
going to Orlando and not having a car is like going fishing without a fishing pole. It just doesnt work. Orlando is not New York City.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Good thing I don't fish then huh? I don't plan on doing what "you" would approve of for my visit and I am more than sure I can make it work. I was thinking of staying downtown anyway and I could take Lynx (heard of public transit before? Get out of your little box sometime, it helps you see things you haven't seen before... if you know what I mean) to go to places I would be interested in. Doubtful there would be any so I am not going to get into what I think is cool and not cool because this isn't what this thread is about. How about you go stay in the Texas forum and out of this thread because the information you have is obviously useless because it didn't help.

I can have a great time without ever thinking about a car or ever leaving Downtown, and that I am more than sure of. Not everyone needs/wants a car and needs to have it when he travels.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:01 PM

To the other members who took the time to use it to help someone by actually providing information that was useful to me... thank you. I will be checking into Downtown (best option in my eyes), Industrial Dr, and Winter Park. Winter Park seems like my second favorite options by the looks of it because Industrial Drive seems to be very touristy.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:45 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,149,121 times
It took me a few to realize what you meant by Industrial Drive!
Downtown is very pretty, you should look into the Eo Inn in Thornton Park, which is a charming area close to downtown and the nightlife and also close to the little shops, parks and homes in that nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando