Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 04:00 PM

107 posts, read 231,654 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I may be relocating due to job to Orlando. My job will be very close to the airport near 528 & Semoran Blvd. I don't mind having a 1/2 to 1 hour daily commute if it means living in a safe, newer neighborhood.

Here's more detail if you care: Don't have any kids or pets, but wife telecommutes so apartment's safety & quietness is of utmost importance. Also, need newer apartments/neighborhoods since I'm in a wheelchair and chances are older apartment communities are not accessible and will cost me lots to make modifications... Did I mention I prefer newer neighborhoods/communities with lots of safety? 1-bedroom is perfectly fine for us, but I do prefer structured parking so in case it's raining/hurricane, etc. (which based on what I've heard it happens a lot over there) I don't have to get soaking wet getting in and out of my car which takes some time for me... We live a busy life so we eat out a lot, so I really enjoy living closer to shops, restaurants, etc. even if it's for the sake of taking a walk (in my case roll)...

Based on the crime map, I see west of 4 doesn't look good at all... I have read nice things about Winter Park (considering it's not too far from my work, right?) but apartments I have checked look a bit older based on postings.

Sorry for being too specific there, but I have been studying these forums and I realize more specific questions receive more specific answers.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,532 times
I recommend Northlake Park. It is 10 minutes from airport and a VERY nice community with family-oriented apartments, single family homes, bike paths, etc. Very nice.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:50 PM

Thanks spentfuel! I'll definitely look into Northlake Park (we're talking about the apartment community, correct?). Isn't it too close to the airport? Can the noise be bothersome? Are the apartments newer? Like I said being in a wheelchair poses some unique challenges one of which is finding accessible rentals...

I will be in Orlando next week so I'll be checking out different neighborhoods. Someone else here mentioned Baldwin Park--but somehow he must've deleted his post because I don't see it anymore. Frankly, I was expecting more response from people out here in the forum...

Come on peoples... please, suggest some areas and/or apartment complexes that way I can go check them out next week... Any thoughts on the Northlake Park apartment? Perhaps a resident? How about Baldwin Park area? Any newer apartments there?

Thanks again spentfuel.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:36 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
I agree on Lake Nona. This will give you a nice, safe area and a pretty short commute.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:44 AM

680 posts, read 1,920,629 times
I'll "third" the Lake Nona area in your case

If I had to work by the airport, it would definitely be my number one choice. Nice area... very family and community oriented (depending on the specific area you are in (NORTHLAKE PARK!). They have their own yahoo group that is pretty active.

There are probably some decent rental deals there, and I know that there was a good looking apartment complex right off of the 528.. but I can't remember the name of it.

Good Luck!

Old 05-28-2009, 10:49 AM

Great! Thanks guys. This seems to be DA place... I was reading a rather old (like 3 years old!) where the poster who had just moved to this area and had nothing but nice things to say about it raised some issues about the long distance to drive to get to any real groceries, restaurants, etc... I know there are some restaurants near the airport (TJI, Chili's, etc.) but I can't see any good grocery stores, coffee shops etc. nearby in the Lake Nora area... I use walkscore dot com and since this is a newer area, it may not be that up-to-date.. but I'll definitely check it out during my stay next week for sure... How are gas prices in Orlando by the way? Also, being as Lake Nora a tad bit to the east, does it mean you get a better breeze from the ocean maybe? How far is Lake Nora from the beach?

Again thanks for the valuable info and please keep them coming! Meanwhile, I'll go check out their Yahoo! Group as well.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:12 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
There are a lot of restaurants in the airport area and Lake Nona is getting some of their own already like Tijuana Flats, Outback Steakhouse, etc. With all the development coming in the next 10 years, I am sure more shopping and dining will flow in. I just do not trust a lot of the media releases right now because some things get built basically overnight and other things get announced and are still not built 12 months later. There is a publix there, a super WalMart, Kohls, and Home Depot nearby in Vista Lakes. There are rumors of a SuperTarget coming in the future, etc.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:17 AM

680 posts, read 1,920,629 times
The restaurant/supermarket thing may be a big deal killer right for you right now

Sorry I didn't consider that when I made my post.... It's just that the area is so nice/clean right now that it really "shines" out for a "close-to-the-airport" type job...

Yes, you WILL have to drive a bit to get to most everything.... but that's a sacrifice you might be willing to make for the nice area and short commute to work.

However, if you do lay down roots in the Lake Nona area for the long haul, I really feel like it will be one of the best places in Orlando to live in the next couple of years. I have an insider's/developer's look into the area, and while the plans have slowed down for now, they are still in place for "greatness" down the line

Old 05-28-2009, 12:52 PM

I totally don't mind a short drive to get something to eat/drink, etc. as long as the neighborhood I live in is clean, quiet, & safe. I've been reading reviews on the Northlake Park apartments, but am beginning to have doubts. The positive reviews on the apartment are very "shady" as if they were all written by the staff... And no offense to spentfuel, it seems this person just signed up on City-Data to respond to my post... which is nice but I continue to have my doubts about the association with the actual property... This person did not mention whether they live in the apartment or not...

The negative reviews on the apartment all point out same kinds of issues which is parking, noise, etc. but that's true of many apartments. I'll check them out next week to see firsthand. Meanwhile, if you guys have any specific suggestions in terms of apartments also, that'd be highly appreciated.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:23 PM

24 posts, read 91,914 times
I know what you mean about thinking that the glowing reviews are written by staff We are relocating to San Diego soon, and are going through the exact same thing!

However, I can personally attest to the Lake Nona area as a homeowner here for over 3 years. I guess I could be biased since I would love my property values to rise again ... but really, we LOVE it here. If you are working near the airport, this is by far the best place to live. My second choice would be the Lee Vista area, which is the area just north of the Beachline.

For groceries, there is a nice Publix in the immediate area (one in both Lake Nona and Lee Vista), and the super walmart is a 10 minute drive. My husband and I tend to drive over to the airport exit to eat out, but it is a very short (and free!) trip on the 528 to get there from Narcoossee rd.

If I had to move into an apartment Northlake Park would be my #1 choice by far. We go to the YMCA in that neighborhood and always are impressed with how nice the apartments/townhomes look when we drive by. I think you also get a free YMCA membership, but I am not 100% sure on that. You might also want to drive around the neighborhood to see if there are townhomes for rent by owner, which might solve your parking problem (I think most have driveway parking/garages). There are also some new apartments on Narcoosee at the Beachline that look nice, but there is construction going on right next to them that I have a feeling will be quite noisy for the next year or so. The Moss Park area apartment complexes look nice as well (south of Northlake Park off Narcoossee).

It takes us 45 minutes to get to the beach. The closest coffee shops would be Starbucks on Semoran or a few in the Lee Vista area (I think one is called Cappy's??).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando