Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 12,201 times

Advertisements

From NY...Just looking for some thoughts on the Geneva area. It seems most houses are remote with lots of land...that's good for us. However, does it have easy access (within 15 minutes) to big shopping centers, malls, publix...? How are the schools? What do Orlando people say about the Geneva area??? are they considered "county folks" out there?

THanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 01:36 PM

11 posts, read 43,405 times
Yes, good and yes.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:57 PM

3 posts, read 9,979 times
You can either go to Sanford or Oviedo for shopping and other stuff. The Seminole Towne Center is in Sanford and The Oviedo Marketplace is in Oviedo. They are both about 15-20 mins away. The schools are good, There is Geneva Elementary in Geneva but for middle and high the schools are in oviedo. I dont know what most orlando people say about geneva, but most Oviedo people would agree that its a more "country" place. Hope that helped. =)

Old 03-11-2009, 07:03 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,219 times
It's very serene, country and peaceful. If I didn't love to be in the middle of it all, I would move there in a heartbeat.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:35 PM

7 posts, read 25,515 times
Default Geneva

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohnson78 View Post
From NY...Just looking for some thoughts on the Geneva area. It seems most houses are remote with lots of land...that's good for us. However, does it have easy access (within 15 minutes) to big shopping centers, malls, publix...? How are the schools? What do Orlando people say about the Geneva area??? are they considered "county folks" out there?

THanks
I agree with other posts--nice, remote and quite. Yes--lots of land and short trips to anyplace in greater Orlando area to shop for anything.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:01 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,464,840 times
Be careful where you buy and be wary of "good deals." Being from New York, you are a perfect setup for buying swampland in Florida (as the old joke goes). There's probably no other place in Central Florida that could better illustrate this potential. Lake Harney (part of the St. Johns River) floods like it's no other's business, and since the surrounding topography is very flat (duh, we're talking about Florida!), the water goes everywhere. Don't let this freak you out, but there are parts of Geneva that it's just part of life to have several feet of standing water on your property for weeks if not months when the St. Johns comes up.

The other thing to watch for is backing up to large tracts that are susceptible to being developed into neighborhoods. Granted, it's been a year or more since I've driven through Geneva, but last I saw were several multi-acre parcels being zoned and developed for multiple homes (a neighborhood). The push may hvae eased a bit now that the housing boom has collapsed, but it'll return...you can count on it. Snow Hill (another nearby formerly rural community) experienced it. Geneva will be attacked by it soon enough. THere are some ordinanaces written for the area that stipulates only so many houses per acre, but leave it developers to find weasle holes in teh language to get their neighborhoods built...and ruin the serenity of Geneva.

All I'm trying to say is do your due diligence, big time! Don't rely solely on a realtor. Research flood plain maps (easier than you think to do this...if you can read a map, you can do this). Talk to folks who live there. Drive around areas you think you might buy in and look for high water marks (look at trees, street signs, and structures...river water leaves a nasty ring).

Overall, Geneva is a very nice place, for now. I wanted to live out there as a kid badly while I grew up in Oviedo. My friends who lived in Geneva hadd the larger wooded yards that we could get lost in while playing (more like doing mischevious things than playing!). The area was laid back...you can ride a 4 wheeler, shoot a BB gun, go fishing, and enjoy a little bit of what's left of natural Florida.

...and don't worry about what "others" think about people who live there. Sure, some are quick to stamp everyone who lives out there as a redneck. But there are just as many wealthy folks who want some peace and quiet who live out there too. If anything, a lot of folks are jealous of people who can afford a lot and a house in Geneva. I'm one of them!

Old 03-20-2009, 10:09 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Geneva is nice and you get alot of land. The only thing is it's out there. Being you said it's not a problem for you, it should be fine. You'll be closer to the beach too, about 30 minutes. What about work? You need to take into consideration of travel time.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:29 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,464,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Geneva is nice and you get alot of land....
For a price (of course). When I left Florida in 2007, the land out there was going for $50k+ per acre!

Old 04-06-2009, 01:55 PM

4 posts, read 15,427 times
I've lived in Geneva for almost 10 years now. Love it..wouldn't move anywhere else.
It's very diverse here...double wides just down the road from million dollar+ estates! Close to beach, fishing is incredible, lots of parks, wilderness areas and even an environmental area that offers day hikes, night hikes and lots of other programs. Another plus is the crime rate is very low. Lots for outdoor-loving kids to do.

I commute to Orlando everyday for work. It's an easy commute IMO. Shopping is easy to get to...about 10 minutes or so to Publix for groceries and malls in all directions in about 15-20 minutes for most. Do heed the info about researching flood areas especially down near Jungle Rd. Gorgeous area, but some serious water from Lake Harney after big storms! The area I'm in is very dry...just need to really do your research.

Definitely a great place to settle if you want to leave the "rat race" behind. Good luck house hunting!

Old 05-25-2011, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,261 times
Is the flooding around Lake Harney consistent, or just after hurricanes? I'm looking at property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando