Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 7,420 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am a 21 year old female (college student) considering relocation from Maryland to Florida. I have lived in a small town in Maryland ALL my life and now that im an adult, im ready to venture out on my own, also i HATE cold weather, i like it warm and i love the beach. I feel like now is a great time because i'll be done college in a couple more years and i just wanna enjoy young adulthood with no relationships or kids right now. I visited FL for the first time when i was 16. It was a family trip to Orlando and i fell in love once i stepped outside the airport and saw those palm trees. I also went to Miami summer of 2007 and who wouldnt love that. Anyways, im trying to decide between the orlando or south fl areas (ft.lauderdale,etc.). I know there are a lot of great parts to FL but these are the only 2 main areas i've been to. Being a young single woman, which is a safe area to live? nothing too expensive, just a nice,decent,safe area for someone my age. im from the suburbs so i dont wanna end up in a neighborhood where gunshots are heard throughout the day, know what i mean. somebody please give me some advice! Also, please mention any other areas in central/south fl that are nice,safe and inexpensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 07:47 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Are you going to college here? What school will you attend? I'd stay to the suburbs of Orlando. Are you looking for an apartment? Price range? Be a little mre specific pls? There is plenty for you to do here.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 7,420 times
I would definitly transfer to a school down there, not really sure which one yet because im not sure whether i wanna go to the Orlando area or South FL area. As far as rent, can you get get anything decent for under $600 in either area? I also wanna go somewhere that has good employment opportunities.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:49 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Under $600 would be very difficult in either area unless you get some roomates. I would check around Craigslist for roommates wanted.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,305 times
I grew up near Ft. Lauderdale and spent 4 years in Orlando for college. I have never lived inor anywhere neara neighborhood withgunshots. But I have also never seen a place I could live on my own for $600 rent. Near Orlando, if you go to UCF or another school in that part of Orlando, there are apartment communities that will match you with roomates and yousign an individuallease for about $400-600. I had a GREAT time in Orlando.. but itwas too far from the beach - for me growing up less than 15 min away. Orlando is about an houraway from Daytona. Personally the beaches in S. FL. are much much better than the beaches in central fl. ft.laud is a really nice and pretty city.. but it is still small. depending on what you are looking for, i have a lot of different advice.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:36 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,414,121 times
I grew up in S. Fla and have lived here all my life. I went to college at FAU in Boca and then moved to West Palm Beach. I have lived all over Broward and Palm Beach counties so I know pretty much everything about said area. If you are young and like to party there is a lot to get into especially if you just want to have fun however once you graduate the fun tends to run out a bit. S. Fla will be a culture shock if you are comming from a small town. It is very fast paced and the people are very rude! Crime is rampant even if you live in a good neighboorhood. Not that you're gonna get shot walking out your front door but you definetly must watch your back.Cost of living is very high with rent for a 2 bed 2 bath at 1200-1600 a month. 1 bed is only a few hundred less. I always had a roommate. Jobs are not as plentiful anymore either.I am now in my early 30s and am moving out of state very soon. I don't think I can deal with living here much longer. In fact, almost all my college friends moved out of state once they graduated. Once you are out of school, if you don't drink or go to bars it is hard to meet down to earth normal people. It is a fast paced, don't worry about tommorow, how you look and how much cash you have society. I would read all the threads on life in Fla. and really listen to what people have to say. Feel free to message me if you need more info such as specific areas to live ect. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:38 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
South Florida is the place to be when you're young (in Florida that is)

Old 01-12-2009, 07:43 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I grew up in S. Fla and have lived here all my life. I went to college at FAU in Boca and then moved to West Palm Beach. I have lived all over Broward and Palm Beach counties so I know pretty much everything about said area. If you are young and like to party there is a lot to get into especially if you just want to have fun however once you graduate the fun tends to run out a bit. S. Fla will be a culture shock if you are comming from a small town. It is very fast paced and the people are very rude! Crime is rampant even if you live in a good neighboorhood. Not that you're gonna get shot walking out your front door but you definetly must watch your back.Cost of living is very high with rent for a 2 bed 2 bath at 1200-1600 a month. 1 bed is only a few hundred less. I always had a roommate. Jobs are not as plentiful anymore either.I am now in my early 30s and am moving out of state very soon. I don't think I can deal with living here much longer. In fact, almost all my college friends moved out of state once they graduated. Once you are out of school, if you don't drink or go to bars it is hard to meet down to earth normal people. It is a fast paced, don't worry about tommorow, how you look and how much cash you have society. I would read all the threads on life in Fla. and really listen to what people have to say. Feel free to message me if you need more info such as specific areas to live ect. Good luck in whatever you decide.
I would actually say almost the exact opposite. I find South Florida to be fairly laid back and relaxed. I just transfered to FAU from San Francisco, which may be the reason. That is a fast paced city. That's a city where you have to be aware of your surroundings at night. It makes all of Florida seem like Disney World. I guess it's all relative to where you come from. Also, I find South Florida dirt cheap. Boca Raton is supposed to be one of the most expensive cities in South Florida and it's unbelievable how cheap the rent is. I'm paying $950 a month for a 1 bedroom apt, with a washer, a dryer, a balcony and free parking. The community even has a huge pool and jacuzzi. In San Francisco a normal 1 bedroom apt with no amenties would be around $1500-$2000 per month + $300 for a parking space. I know Maryland is a lot more expensive than Florida, even South Florida.

Regarding colleges: I'm happy at FAU, they have a good business school and it's basically brand new. Tuition is cheap once you become a resident and the student body is a nice mix of different races and income levels. The best college in South Florida in my opinion would be University of Miami, it's in a great area too. However, it's very expensive and hard to get into. I lived in Orlando before, so I have some friends who go to UCF. One of them transfered to FAU because of budget cuts he wasn't able to get most of the courses he needs to graduate on time, they filled up before his time to register.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:44 PM

255 posts, read 757,018 times
Hey Krazy,
Welcome to Florida

You may wish to look into Hollywood, Florida. It is south near Ft. Lauderdale and it is gorgeous, not sure of the cost of housing but a small, relaxed, friendly area with an awesome beach. My sister was a bartender right on the beach and she LOVED it, which says a lot since she moved from being a bartender in NYC.

Good Luck, this is the time to do exactly what you are doing...living!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:44 AM

482 posts, read 2,417,695 times
Be sure you check into the cost of attending a Florida college vs. where you are, they charge "Out of State" tuition that is much higher than if you live here. I think you have to be here a year to qualify for the in-state tuition. The community colleges are cheaper than the universities so you might want to start there but again, they too have out-of-state tuition. My daughter went to college in Alabama so I have learned how much cheaper it is if go in the place where you have established residency. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando