Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 04:33 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,258,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy_J View Post
For some reason or another, a large majority of the people in these forums have token it upon themselves to discourage, taunt, and even attempt frighten people out of moving to Orlando. Why aren't you moving out then? :
I agree with not posting every little detail of crime that happens to make a city look bad.......but i also say to your question that maybe some of these people can't truly afford to just up and move...lets be real..not everyone has $3000 dollars saved up for emergencies like moving
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 04:38 AM

[quote=jazzy_J Everyone plays golf or knows someone who does. It's not uncommon to have a golf membership and a sailboat in your backyard and only make 50k a year. (Where I come from this is almost unheard of.)

:[/QUOTE]

Where i come from that is unheard of too. and i live in Orlando......you must be thinking of the RICH people that live in Windemere....

Old 08-15-2007, 04:47 AM

Quote:
For some reason or another, a large majority of the people in these forums have token it upon themselves to discourage, taunt, and even attempt frighten people out of moving to Orlando. Why aren't you moving out then? Why aren't you on the new city of your dreams's board asking questions about moving there? I don't see the point in giving these over-opinionated almost rude posts to people simply looking for information from locals.

I am moving to Orlando for 3rd time, and I know exactly why. Of course, the weather, but there's more. First of all, the sunshine never wears off, and if you ever had an inkling you wouldn't get along with the heat-why would you even consider one of the most southern states? Obviously, we're not even going to discuss humidity either.

There's a vibe in Orlando and most of Florida that you just don't get up north. People are friendlier, life is more appreciated. Your car doesn't rust (unless you live on a beach:P)), and there's not a car commercial on TV every 3 sec (sorry I'm from Detroit). The economy of Orlando isn't dependent on 1 or 2 major industries and if you so choose you can make an excellent living working with your hands.

Your 10 hours drive from the southern most tip of the United States (Key West) and only 40 min from the major cruise ports. Everyone plays golf or knows someone who does. It's not uncommon to have a golf membership and a sailboat in your backyard and only make 50k a year. (Where I come from this is almost unheard of.)

Plants will grow in your yard that you have never seen before. At any given time there will be more lizards in your driveway than birds. (They're small, relax.) Also, your cat or dog is perfectly safe out of doors and will not be eaten by some wild animal or come down with funky flesh eating virus. Fire Ants can be a problem, but they are really annoying, nothing more.

Alligators do not approach people and must be ravenous to attempt to attack a small human or animal, deprived to attack an adult human. If you want to google something, count the number of gator attacks in Central Florida in the last 30 years and you will know that I speak the truth.

And speaking of gators, if you're a sports fan and would love to live in a town who has insanely passionate fans, you'll have no problem migrating your allegiance to the Gators or even the Solar Bears. (Yes, I did say Solar Bears. ) I'm sure you also knew many professional athletes train down here in the off season every year so there's also the fun chance of celebrity spotting.

Also, you can swim in pure, natural springs for the cost of a cup of coffee any day of the week you choose. (Rock Springs is my favorite)

Florida is wild. People's homes do on occasion completely disappear into perfectly round holes of swamp (sink holes), but these are far from unnoticed way before they occur and are hardly horror stories-instead the natural aquifier that Florida is and has been for million of years hard at work filtering the northern US's natural water system.

Ok, I'll make a simple list in lieu of my monologue here just to highlight some great things about Orlando/Central Florida, just to give some transplants some hope among the outcries of it's jaded residents:

1. Bubaloo's BBQ: The best BBQ in your life! One thing I can't get anywhere else.
2. Random Cuban Sandwich Stands: You wait FOREVER for one, but man, it's worth it. Any better, you better drive down to Miami.
3. NO SMOKING in restaurants/bars: I believe the law is if more than 70% of a bar's business is Food, then there's no smoking anywhere. Most places will advertise that they are for smokers. This might be a bad thing for some of you.:P
4. Rock/Blue/Weikiva Springs-when I was a teenager, I thought these things were the most beautiful things on earth.
5. No State Income Tax and No Deposit. (Again, being from Michigan-this is cool to me.)
6. Bonafide Salsa Clubs and real Latin influence: If you like everyone to look and talk like you do, dont' move to Central Florida. It may not seem obvious right away, but most of all Central/South Florida is heavily influenced and settled by Latin American and the Island. You can never really judge someone on the street by the way they look, as there are a myriad of cultures that reside here.
7.Water: Especially in Orlando, lots and lots of lakes for swimming, fishing, jet skiing and sailing. Sailing has always had a sort of "rich-guy" stigma to it from where I'm from-but not in Florida-tons of small family oriented clubs abound with tiny, small, and medium boats involved. Same goes with power boats-it won't be long before you find yourself wanting some sort of water vehicle.
8. Orlando Science Center: Beautiful facility with an actual planetarium(as in telescope), IMAX theatre, ect.
9. Downtown Winter Park: An outside cobblestoned upscale shopping area with great restaurants and a picturesque area for festivals. Also ties in to Rollins College,which is close by for events.
10. Rock-n-Roll Heaven. An Orlando landmark, a music store heavily dedicated to old and obscure vinyl records as well as regular releases, which before anyone starts groaning, also sports a huge club/house/techno DJ section in the back with every dance hit ever on vinyl. It's ridiculous. Pop Art is also a funky store across the street which is fun to stop in from time 2 time.

Keep in mind, I don't live there yet, I'm moving back in 6 weeks, and no, I am not in anyway attempting to sell you a house, refinance your home, nor do I work for any touring agency or some down "move to orlando" promotion. I'm just a regular person. :P

Just really sick of all the negativity I see on this board.

Well....i guarentee you could point out mueseums and nightlife in Detroit and thier suburbs too.....i know you think in your mind that people are going overboard in the Orlando forum,.......but.....where in Orlando do u really live?.....i think it is a matter of poor and rich people.....poor people in Orlando "can" relate to the poor people's problems in Detroit and vice versa.....you are probably talking about the rich people that post about Orlando's crime issues.....i consider anyone making 50,000 a year anywhere to be rich...i live in Orlando (the place you say everyone golfs) and i make about 20,000-25,000 thousand a year and can bareley pay bills

Old 08-15-2007, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth® View Post
Thanks for posting some positive comments about the area. Every city has drawbacks, and there may be times for some people when the drawbacks outweigh the positives. But Orlando (and Florida as a whole) DO have a lot to offer prospective residents.

I could write a very long list of things that I will absolutely miss when I move away from Orlando, so I will just enjoy them to the fullest until that day comes!
Live in Miami Gardens for a week or Pine Hills and you will narrow things down from (the whole state of Florida) to just the nice suburbs

Old 08-15-2007, 04:55 AM

Quote:
LOL! WOW. All I can say is WOW. What is the point wasting hours of your lives ranting about how much you hate a city? And Detroit dosen't suck, never said it did, it's just not for me. Who said I was a recent college graduate? And I knew nothing about hard times? Again, way out of line and borderline abusive posting going on here. "Florida is Wild" was a separate sentence-and sink holes are a fascinating subject to some people. You know what?-I'm done here. I could go on, but I won't. What's the point? I can't believe either of you think the way you post on these boards is even close to acceptable? You're RANTING! Well, I've done my contributing to the board, I'll go play with my sailboat and let you too continue on your redneck rampage.

Holy Cow Are You Rude!
J

Youre sailboat?...man you must be rich..LOL

Old 08-15-2007, 09:41 PM

13 posts, read 55,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
Youre sailboat?...man you must be rich..LOL
"Your" is the possessive form.

"You're" is the contraction of the words "you" and "are."

It's sad that the haters need to come into a threat dedicated to looking at the positive features of Orlando just to spew their toxic comments.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrinka View Post
"Your" is the possessive form.

"You're" is the contraction of the words "you" and "are."

It's sad that the haters need to come into a threat dedicated to looking at the positive features of Orlando just to spew their toxic comments.
Oh i forgot we are in english class here.....lol....ok Mrs. so and so......ill ......wait....i'll correct each and every word because you say so...lol

Old 08-16-2007, 03:52 AM

I understand the guy is pissed about people spreading negativity and i get mad too sometimes but he makes it seem like we have rich peoples(') lives in Orlando and i'''''m just thinking he is a person that doesn''t really experience the real issues in Orlando because he is too busy sailing and catching fish in the big lake behind where he lives......He says Floridians are the ones spreading the negativity....well the last time i checked there were more transplants from up north that live here than actual native Floridians.....I understand that it gets ridiculous with all the reporting of crimes.....and i know it happens everywhere ......and i know Detroit is a tough place to live but if you actually live in the ghetto in Orlando and hear people saying its not bad then i think you would get offended hearing about how "everyone" plays golf or knows someone who does....that is ridiculous....thats like me saying everyone in Detroit works at a car factory or knows someone who does

Old 08-16-2007, 04:46 PM

26 posts, read 61,171 times
Talking Amazing

Jazzy J, thanks a lot. I've been dreaming about moving to Orlando since I was a youngin'. I've been in Atlanta all my life. The times i've been Orlando have been great ones, and have grabbed hold of my heart. So I wanted to get down to the details about living in Orlando. And I get so many replies about how bad it is. I've heard all about Crime Hills, OBT, Silver Star, and all that. And I was kinda' taken by surprise. I was hoping Orlando wasn't THAT bad. It also kind of worried me, I didn't want my dreams to be torn. I love Orlando, and you have painted a brighter picture for me! I guess my dreams of living in the City Beautiful WILL come true! Thanks!

Old 08-17-2007, 09:40 PM

201 posts, read 1,279,694 times
Thanks alot. Being that I grew up in Central Florida I really appreciate this post, and some of it really takes me back to "the good 'ole days".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando