Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 06:08 PM

11 posts, read 47,484 times

Advertisements

For some reason or another, a large majority of the people in these forums have token it upon themselves to discourage, taunt, and even attempt frighten people out of moving to Orlando. Why aren't you moving out then? Why aren't you on the new city of your dreams's board asking questions about moving there? I don't see the point in giving these over-opinionated almost rude posts to people simply looking for information from locals.

I am moving to Orlando for 3rd time, and I know exactly why. Of course, the weather, but there's more. First of all, the sunshine never wears off, and if you ever had an inkling you wouldn't get along with the heat-why would you even consider one of the most southern states? Obviously, we're not even going to discuss humidity either.

There's a vibe in Orlando and most of Florida that you just don't get up north. People are friendlier, life is more appreciated. Your car doesn't rust (unless you live on a beach:P)), and there's not a car commercial on TV every 3 sec (sorry I'm from Detroit). The economy of Orlando isn't dependent on 1 or 2 major industries and if you so choose you can make an excellent living working with your hands.

Your 10 hours drive from the southern most tip of the United States (Key West) and only 40 min from the major cruise ports. Everyone plays golf or knows someone who does. It's not uncommon to have a golf membership and a sailboat in your backyard and only make 50k a year. (Where I come from this is almost unheard of.)

Plants will grow in your yard that you have never seen before. At any given time there will be more lizards in your driveway than birds. (They're small, relax.) Also, your cat or dog is perfectly safe out of doors and will not be eaten by some wild animal or come down with funky flesh eating virus. Fire Ants can be a problem, but they are really annoying, nothing more.

Alligators do not approach people and must be ravenous to attempt to attack a small human or animal, deprived to attack an adult human. If you want to google something, count the number of gator attacks in Central Florida in the last 30 years and you will know that I speak the truth.

And speaking of gators, if you're a sports fan and would love to live in a town who has insanely passionate fans, you'll have no problem migrating your allegiance to the Gators or even the Solar Bears. (Yes, I did say Solar Bears. ) I'm sure you also knew many professional athletes train down here in the off season every year so there's also the fun chance of celebrity spotting.

Also, you can swim in pure, natural springs for the cost of a cup of coffee any day of the week you choose. (Rock Springs is my favorite)

Florida is wild. People's homes do on occasion completely disappear into perfectly round holes of swamp (sink holes), but these are far from unnoticed way before they occur and are hardly horror stories-instead the natural aquifier that Florida is and has been for million of years hard at work filtering the northern US's natural water system.

Ok, I'll make a simple list in lieu of my monologue here just to highlight some great things about Orlando/Central Florida, just to give some transplants some hope among the outcries of it's jaded residents:

1. Bubaloo's BBQ: The best BBQ in your life! One thing I can't get anywhere else.
2. Random Cuban Sandwich Stands: You wait FOREVER for one, but man, it's worth it. Any better, you better drive down to Miami.
3. NO SMOKING in restaurants/bars: I believe the law is if more than 70% of a bar's business is Food, then there's no smoking anywhere. Most places will advertise that they are for smokers. This might be a bad thing for some of you.:P
4. Rock/Blue/Weikiva Springs-when I was a teenager, I thought these things were the most beautiful things on earth.
5. No State Income Tax and No Deposit. (Again, being from Michigan-this is cool to me.)
6. Bonafide Salsa Clubs and real Latin influence: If you like everyone to look and talk like you do, dont' move to Central Florida. It may not seem obvious right away, but most of all Central/South Florida is heavily influenced and settled by Latin American and the Island. You can never really judge someone on the street by the way they look, as there are a myriad of cultures that reside here.
7.Water: Especially in Orlando, lots and lots of lakes for swimming, fishing, jet skiing and sailing. Sailing has always had a sort of "rich-guy" stigma to it from where I'm from-but not in Florida-tons of small family oriented clubs abound with tiny, small, and medium boats involved. Same goes with power boats-it won't be long before you find yourself wanting some sort of water vehicle.
8. Orlando Science Center: Beautiful facility with an actual planetarium(as in telescope), IMAX theatre, ect.
9. Downtown Winter Park: An outside cobblestoned upscale shopping area with great restaurants and a picturesque area for festivals. Also ties in to Rollins College,which is close by for events.
10. Rock-n-Roll Heaven. An Orlando landmark, a music store heavily dedicated to old and obscure vinyl records as well as regular releases, which before anyone starts groaning, also sports a huge club/house/techno DJ section in the back with every dance hit ever on vinyl. It's ridiculous. Pop Art is also a funky store across the street which is fun to stop in from time 2 time.

Keep in mind, I don't live there yet, I'm moving back in 6 weeks, and no, I am not in anyway attempting to sell you a house, refinance your home, nor do I work for any touring agency or some down "move to orlando" promotion. I'm just a regular person. :P

Just really sick of all the negativity I see on this board.

Last edited by jazzy_J; 03-11-2007 at 06:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 08:24 PM

9 posts, read 73,074 times
Here's a big thank you from someone who is moving to Orlando from Buffalo, NY (very similar to Detroit, except you actually have an economy!) in May!

I cannot wait to move to Orlando, and I know enough to take many of the super-negative comments with a grain of salt.

Great post with some nice recommendations. I'll be sure to check out some of your list!

Old 03-11-2007, 09:25 PM

53 posts, read 277,446 times
Great post JJ.

I recently moved down to Orlando from TX and man I love it. The weather is great, the neighbors are friendly and the traffic is nowhere near as bad as some of the posters had wrote.

Orlando is a great city, and you will be the toast of the family tree as every cousin, aunt, and grandparent will visit you.

Tonight me and my wife dined in the backyard with a cool breeze and a hot grill. I dont regret the decision to relocate one bit.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:21 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,265,822 times
Thanks for the great post!
Where is Bubaloo's BBQ? I am in Kissimmee and never heard of it. Thanks!

Old 03-12-2007, 02:39 PM

5 posts, read 19,219 times
This was a nice read for someone debating a move to the area!

Old 03-12-2007, 02:49 PM

467 posts, read 1,685,871 times
jazzy j,,,,,very nice.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:29 PM

131 posts, read 1,031,792 times
"Who that has ever floated on the bright waters of Silver Spring, or the bosom of the Wakulla, has not felt his pulses thrill with delight at the almost unreal character of the scene?--the waters so pellucid that one seems suspended in mid-air; the shadows from the skies above rest in changing beauty in its depths; while the bright sunlight flecks the silvery rocks below with rays of dazzling brightness, and an azure tinge encircles every object and surrounds it with a halo of purplish light. It is not strange that they should be deemed to possess a renovating elixir, and to promise, to those who would dwell by their banks and disport in their waters, a restoration of youthful vigor and energy."

- George Rainsford Fairbanks

Old 03-12-2007, 04:37 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,185,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
Thanks for the great post!
Where is Bubaloo's BBQ? I am in Kissimmee and never heard of it. Thanks!
Winter Park / 17-92 and Lee Road
1471 Lee Road
Winter Park, FL 32892

Kirkman Road / Universal Studios
5818 Conroy Road
Orlando, FL 32835

Altamonte Springs / SR 436
1049 East Altamonte Drive
Altamonte Springs, FL 32702

Orlando - near UCF/Research Park
12100 Challenger Parkway
Orlando, FL 32826

Apopka
1701 Rock Springs Road
Apopka, FL 32712

It is the BEST! and the locations I go to (Winter Park and Altamonte Springs) have outside dining - perfect for this time of year! In addition to the barbeque - try their fried okra, turnip greens, cornbread and pecan pie!! Wow...puts me in southern heaven!! LOL

Bye the way....this is NOT a fancy restaurant. Although you see plenty of 'suits' and beamers at the Winter Park location....it's really a jeans/shorts kind of place.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:29 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,265,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Winter Park / 17-92 and Lee Road
1471 Lee Road
Winter Park, FL 32892

Kirkman Road / Universal Studios
5818 Conroy Road
Orlando, FL 32835

Altamonte Springs / SR 436
1049 East Altamonte Drive
Altamonte Springs, FL 32702

Orlando - near UCF/Research Park
12100 Challenger Parkway
Orlando, FL 32826

Apopka
1701 Rock Springs Road
Apopka, FL 32712

Bye the way....this is NOT a fancy restaurant. Although you see plenty of 'suits' and beamers at the Winter Park location....it's really a jeans/shorts kind of place.
Thanks a lot - i will try the one on Conroy

Old 03-16-2007, 02:55 PM

3,090 posts, read 3,949,573 times
Default Great message

Thanks for your post! I've been here since 1971, seen some changes, and hubby has been here for 44 years. I think Cecil's BBQ is better than Bubbaloos though . Actually, Uncle Jones' BBQ is better than them all--my daughter had them cater her wedding. But Bubbaloos is still really good!!

Thanks again,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando