U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:02 AM

56 posts, read 206,978 times
Arrow What is so great about living in/near Orlando? Who loves or hates it & WHY?

Just wanting opinions and comments from people that actually LIVE in or near the Orlando area...including Winter Park, Oviedo...
What are the pros and cons?? What should someone beware of?
Are there busier areas...constant traffic issues in particular places? Are there any affordable rentals left or is everything a condo?
Not to be mean, but this is for those actually living IN the area, NOT from a tourist point of view.
What is it REALLY LIKE living in or near Orlando???
All comments are greatly appreciated. Thanx!
What is YOUR experience?

Old 06-20-2006, 07:39 PM

13 posts, read 139,327 times
I loved living in Orlando. It was an exciting place to live with lots of things to do. The traffic can be a real pain, but we lived close to the toll roads which made our commute much easier and for a couple a dollars a day, less stressful. We moved to Northern Florida thinking we wanted a slower pace and find that we miss Orlando so much that we are moving back.

I don't think it's for everyone, but we liked it.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:56 PM

128 posts, read 471,672 times
There are pros and cons to living near Orlando. We have lived in Seminole County now for 11 years and i have lived in Orlando for 9 years before that. I have seen a HUGE difference in the area, especially in the last 5 or 6 years. If you like diversity, this is the place for you. Traffic is just insance and it is almost mandatory that you speak Spanish, especially in Orl, not so much where i live. Of course there is Disney and Sea World that is the main attraction. Most tourists stay on International Drive. There are parts of FL that are beautiful and serene and then there are parts that are so awful, i am ashamed to call this my state. We are moving from FL just for a change...been here too long and i am seeing changes i don't like. More crimes, high real estate prices, bad traffic, and rude people everywhere. FL is not what it used to be and i am sad about that. But i can see how some people moving here are excited...it is nice to have year round warm weather for some..i personally miss throwing a snow ball! Good luck to all who move here....i'm sure you will enjoy

Old 06-27-2006, 10:59 AM

24 posts, read 167,093 times
I agree with nk0171 up there. I've lived in Lake Mary (Seminole County) for 17 years, and with all of our massive growth, it is still a fine place to live.

Wherever a lot of people are, there will be crime.....but I'm pretty sure that it is very low here, relative to the population.

If you haven't checked out Seminole County yet, please consider doing so.....if you move here, I'm betting there is WAY less of a chance you'll ever regret coming to Florida.

Best wishes.....

Old 02-06-2007, 05:35 PM

19 posts, read 147,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraerieL View Post
Just wanting opinions and comments from people that actually LIVE in or near the Orlando area...including Winter Park, Oviedo...
Are there busier areas...constant traffic issues in particular places? Are there any affordable rentals left or is everything a condo?
Not to be mean, but this is for those actually living IN the area, NOT from a tourist point of view.
What is YOUR experience?
Central Florida, especially the Orlando Metro area IS NOT the old south.
It is rapidly approaching a minority community. In fact, I believe the
last census showed that Caucasians are a slight minority, if that makes
any difference to you.
I have lived here over 50 years and it has changed from a quiet place
loaded with orange groves and beautiful lakes and natural features to
traffic, crowds, tourist traps, etc....
If you are moving from some large city up north or northeast or from
Puerto Rico or Mexico.........you will probably like it
I think it is a terrible place to live.......schools are not very good,
natural resources are overcrowded........
I will be leaving as soon as I can sell my home.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:34 PM

155 posts, read 12,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraerieL View Post
What is YOUR experience?
I live in Windermere and lived in Metro West, and Lake Mary. Been here in FL "Serving hard 5 years in FL... time for my 'sentence' to be over, I am going back to where I should have never moved from".

Traffic: I-4 (all day, any day, 24/7) massive congestion. Kirkman Road is mass chaos, lots of ghetto people with illegal guns. 436/434 in Altamonte Springs feels like an anthill. East side of Orlando (Semoran/Goldenroad, Old Cheny Hey, Colonial) mass traffic, bumper to bumper, cars overheat and people go nuts. Hiawassee road - thanks to Verandas, traffic has literaly quadrupled, it sucks there now.

Rentals: The had an article I read on Yahoo news today that rents in 2007 will go up something line 10%. So in Orlando, if you pay $1,500 for a 1/1 apt (which is typical, unless you live in the ghetto or government housing), then you would pay an additional $150 in rent every month. Now, the fun part is that rent in FL is market controlled, so the landlord can say your rent is "way below market value" and jack it up $300 or $500, if they want to.

Condos, you will be paying to experience a living hell. It sucks to have a condo, I feel bad for people that have one. They get stuck with special assessments, high HOA fees, bad neighbors. In a condo, you live in an apt, except you pay a lot for it.

Crime: Will be bad, watch the local news (well, they have been distracted showing tornado damage only lately, so we are getting 1% of the crime news these days). Overall, crime sucks in Orlando, it's very bad. I doubt anyone will disagree with that.

Cost of living vs wages: NO ONE I know has had a salary/pay increase in the last few years that has even gotten close to the massive cost of living increase. I am serious. If you work at Disney or any of the parks, you will make between $7.50 - $9.15/h (their advertised pay at the Orlando job fair and the local paper, Disney had a page-long ad about it). You will have to live in a motel in order to be able to make ends meet.

Wages keep going down or not increasing for newly created jobs. Companies have a surplus of applicants. Unless you atre the "lowest wage taker" you will have a real hard time finding A job that is not Taco Bell.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:05 AM

669 posts, read 2,220,733 times
Good post Marylou. Your rental figures are still off. You can find a lot of 1br apartments in Orlando from 800 up. Either a lot of the ones on search results on rent.com and apartments.com are ghetto, or you are overstating the prices. For now, they're pretty "normal" apartment rent prices.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:36 AM

2,384 posts, read 4,972,689 times
I lived in the area and moved out. My two main beefs with the area were growth and jobs.

As for the growth, all government from state to local level donít know how to deal with it. They allow builders to do what they want and slap up loads of unattractive Stepford-looking neighborhoods wherever they please. This made the area grow too rapidly and emergency services canít keep up with that kind of growth. The infrastructure from fire departments to schools are overloaded. Central Florida has probably never heard of the term ďsmart growth.Ē

My second largest complaint is the job situation. I transferred in with a company so I was OK, but many people have a tough time finding decent professional jobs. If you want $7/hour service sector jobs, you are all set. If you do happen to find a good job, chances are the pay will be low (compared to many other states). Speaking Spanish fluently will greatly help you find a job, but it isnít a necessity with every company.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:55 PM

155 posts, read 12,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Good post Marylou. Your rental figures are still off. You can find a lot of 1br apartments in Orlando from 800 up. Either a lot of the ones on search results on rent.com and apartments.com are ghetto, or you are overstating the prices. For now, they're pretty "normal" apartment rent prices.
Mr/Ms. Murphy:

WHERE are the apts for rental for $800/mo?? Are they in hell-neighborhoods like Coconut Palms (out on Conroy) or the Millenia Apts where my aunt lives (which is absolute trash), but yeah they are $852/month for a 2/2 (Government run apts)?

I checked the listings for apts under $1,000. Here is a statement from a resident in the The Park apts in Winter Park, FL (rent around $875/mo for a 1/1):

You made my life miserable
Years at this apartment: 2005-2005

To the management at The Park:

Please get your act together. Your complex is in the toilet and it's about ready to get flushed.

You don't keep track of your residents or require background checks, because you'll let any scum bucket rent from you. I lived beneath a crack house. Really. The guys above me didn't work, they sold crack. How did they manage to slip by you?

In fact, I'm convinced everybody else in my building must have been buying from them. They were the worst neighbors ever. I realize you lease to Full Sail students. Wise up and do what Sutton Place did: eliminate them or simply let the school buy you so they can turn you into a big, dirty dorm.

Parking is terrible. There is no light. I never felt safe coming home at night.

You were totally unreasonable. I barely knew my roommate and, due to his job as both student and drug dealer, rarely saw him, but you insisted that we put our rent on one check every month so you wouldn't have to spend 2 extra minutes processing two. Do you know what a pain this was? You are the only community that does this.

Every concern I brought to you was met with rudeness. In fact, you're probably reading this and laughing because I know you could care less. You're getting free rent and enough money to buy your cheesy, ghetto acryllic fingernails and fake tans.

You made my life miserable and I will never forget it and I'm GLAD you have the worst ratings in Winter Park, because you deserve it.

Final thought: My goodness, that is not living, that is EXISTING! If you live in a $800/mo apt, your life will be a living hell.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:20 AM

6,530 posts, read 8,835,913 times
FWIW, I'm in a 2/2 with over 1200 sqare feet for $965/mo in a nice neighborhood in Winter Springs (Seminole).... They exist...

Also, whoever said that I-4 is congested 24/7 is wrong. Rush hours suck as they do in all cities, but I-4 typically clears by 7-8 PM..... And in the wee hours you can do 70-80 through Orlando if you want (and feel lucky not getting pulled over.. ).

Plenty to not like about Orlando, but no need to exaggerate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando