U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-29-2009, 01:01 PM

631 posts, read 1,617,655 times
Default Orlando ranks #4 of places Americans want to live most...

National survey ranks Orlando 4th most popular city in U.S. -- OrlandoSentinel.com (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-pew-ranking-orlando-012909,0,6240778.story - broken link)

Must be attracted to all the crime, rude people, and traffic! </sarcasm>

Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 01:23 PM

43 posts, read 129,016 times
I bet a lot of people THINK positively about Orlando til they actually move here. They dont know about all the "crime, rude people, and traffic" til they live here day after day, and then they realize (many of them) that it was a mistake. The crime doesnt affect me too much b/c of where I live, but the rude people here in Orlando are everywhere!

traffic? How about 4th worst in US according to Forbes http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/s...8/daily97.html

rude people? How about 2006 Most Angriest City in US according to Men's Health http://www.wsmv.com/health/9681978/detail.html

Do I need to post an article about our crime situation?

I really do believe though, that 15-20 yrs ago, this would have been believable.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:35 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,398,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
National survey ranks Orlando 4th most popular city in U.S. -- OrlandoSentinel.com

Must be attracted to all the crime, rude people, and traffic! </sarcasm>

Compare the quality of life between Los Angeles and Orlando.

It's simple...Orlando is cheap! You can buy a nice big and new home with a pool and jacuzzi with a yard for the price of a small old condo or a run down tiny house with no lot. People who hate Orlando so much don't seem to realize this. Some people prefer to have the area they live in their home, while some prefer to have the city they live in their home.

There is a reason why people look positively to Orlando for moving. Is it their favorite city, probally not, but for living, you can get so much for the buck and still live in a decent city and area with good weather (many of us LOVE the heat). I'm not a native to Orlando, I was one of these people who thought, hey Orlando might be a nice place to live and we did and we really enjoyed ourselves.

Is it that hard for you people to believe some people actually like living in Orlando? Maybe that is why it still has one of the best growth rates.

I'm not in love with Orlando or anything, but I do understand why many people enjoy living here and want to live here. I moved to San Francisco for a couple years and there were many things I missed about Orlando. Mainly, the ample FREE parking, my beautiful house, the lakes, wide laned streets, barely any parking restrictions, midnight swims and jacuzzis etc. I'm more of a city person, which is why I'd still prefer San Francisco, Las Vegas, NYC etc over Orlando, but I know many people who are the exact opposite. So many of the Orlando haters here, DO NOT understand that there are different types of people who don't go online searching stats all day and fearing for their lives going shopping.

Speaking of crime...I never once took down my radar detector or iPod player when I parked my car. In the Bay Area, you'd be crazy not to. Crime is all relative to where in the city you live. Just like how America has a high murder rate and one of the highest traffic problems compared to other modernized countries, that doesn't mean America is a dangerous place to live. I lived in Australia for a few years and met many people who said, did you ever get shot at, how did you handle all the crime there...you sound just like them except you are generalizing a SPRAWLED out city. It would be different if the city was confined to a 7 by 7 mile area such as San Francisco. Just as it would be different if America was the size of Portugal.

Last edited by Jonotastic; 01-29-2009 at 01:45 PM..

Old 01-29-2009, 01:39 PM

Now we know that the polls are bad! LOL! Miami ranked 12th? And this poll was taken in America? LOL!

Old 01-29-2009, 01:49 PM

"Maybe that is why it still has one of the best growth rates."

Yes, a very good growth rate, I dont dispute that nor do I that some folks enjoy living here, mostly the newer residents atleast. My problem, and a lot of folks that have lived here for quite sometime, is who is moving here and who are moving out. That's the disappointing part. Nobody can deny that a lot of good folks are leaving and being replaced by rude malconents.

I have dont a lot of traveling and spent a lot of time in other areas in the Southeast, and I have met many, many Floridians. Especially from places like Orlando, Tampa, and South Florida. And almost everyone of them I have talked to do not miss Orlando at all, and would never return. And I have that in the back of my mind because I know firsthand what a lot of natives of Orlando feel about the way it has changed and what Orlando is today, and I would say 9 out of 10 are happier where they are at now. And I have to take that into consideration; I have met a lot of unhappy former Orlando'ns...

Old 01-29-2009, 01:55 PM

"So many of the Orlando haters here, DO NOT understand that there are different types of people who don't go online searching stats all day and fearing for their lives going shopping."

You can throw all the crime stats and traffic out the window. What I cant get over, now mind you, I am a native and I remember when a lot of Orlando were cow pastures and people would wave hello to one another... but I cant get over the rude people. And I cant get over all the spanish speaking. Two things I have yet to get used to, and I dont want to get used to, so we will be moving. Bitter? Yes. I am. I like to remember Orlando and a lot of FL for the way it was, bit it has changed and turned into a whole other state, and it some instances, another country.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drywall mud View Post
"Maybe that is why it still has one of the best growth rates."

Yes, a very good growth rate, I dont dispute that nor do I that some folks enjoy living here, mostly the newer residents atleast. My problem, and a lot of folks that have lived here for quite sometime, is who is moving here and who are moving out. That's the disappointing part. Nobody can deny that a lot of good folks are leaving and being replaced by rude malconents.

I have dont a lot of traveling and spent a lot of time in other areas in the Southeast, and I have met many, many Floridians. Especially from places like Orlando, Tampa, and South Florida. And almost everyone of them I have talked to do not miss Orlando at all, and would never return. And I have that in the back of my mind because I know firsthand what a lot of natives of Orlando feel about the way it has changed and what Orlando is today, and I would say 9 out of 10 are happier where they are at now. And I have to take that into consideration; I have met a lot of unhappy former Orlando'ns...
Of course most of the Floridians who left say they would not return. They moved out for a reason lol. People who don't like living in an area generally move out. The ones who like an area generally stay. When I moved out of Alaska, I didn't speak to highly of living in Alaska, same with other members of my family. That is because we wanted a change, we were tired of Alaska, so we moved out. If you talk to many of the people currently living in Alaska, the majority would recommend it. Just an example. I live there again, only part time now though.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drywall mud View Post
"So many of the Orlando haters here, DO NOT understand that there are different types of people who don't go online searching stats all day and fearing for their lives going shopping."

You can throw all the crime stats and traffic out the window. What I cant get over, now mind you, I am a native and I remember when a lot of Orlando were cow pastures and people would wave hello to one another... but I cant get over the rude people. And I cant get over all the spanish speaking. Two things I have yet to get used to, and I dont want to get used to, so we will be moving. Bitter? Yes. I am. I like to remember Orlando and a lot of FL for the way it was, bit it has changed and turned into a whole other state, and it some instances, another country.
That doesn't make Orlando a bad place to live. It just isn't for you. Spanish speaking people would LIKE the fact Spanish is spoken everywhere. These rude people who are moving in, may think the Florida natives are rude and act like "I was here first" kind of attitude.

My entire point is...these people who want to move to Orlando aren't all going to regret it, some will, some won't...some will love it. I've met many people who have especially from the UK.

Cities change...Alaska is different than 20 years ago, Gold Coast, Australia is different from 20 years ago, Seattle is different from 20 years ago etc. Typically if a place is growing, it's because people think it would be a nice place to live and in most cases end up being a nice place to live which causes growth.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:52 PM

Yes, I agree about the spanish thing. If I were PuertoRican, I'd probably want to live in Orlando or S FL too.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:55 PM

7,894 posts, read 6,745,794 times
The only one of the other 3 that can hold a candle to us is San Diego..... Seattle.. well if depression is your favorite sport. denver?... ok I like 20 below...NOT.

We are cheaper than SanDiego and are closer to a usable ocean... the Pacific is way too cold to use.. great to look at.. but it stops there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando