U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-05-2009, 05:01 PM

21 posts, read 41,244 times
Default registering my leased cars

I have two cars which are both leases. how does it work on registering my cars in florida. I read that they tax you on the value? but I dont own the car and the sales tax on a lease car in based in the portion of the car you use (three year lease). How does FL DMV figure how much to register my leased cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 06:16 PM

46 posts, read 160,499 times
I recently registered my leased car that I leased about 6months ago out of state. I certainly didn't pay any tax on the car. You can expect to pay about 200 or so dollars for registration, license, and tags.
I do expect my lease payment will increase a little to reflect the slightlly higher sales tax in FL vs my former state.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 5,083 times
Today in SW Florida. Sept 2011. I was quoted $250 to register my leased car which includes plates. If I owned it I was told $400 ! that was for a "first time you have ever registered a car in Florida" my car is a 2011 Nissan. I registered it the same month my out of state Registration ran out. My drivers license was also out of state but one recognized by the State of Florida and the cost was $50 to change over etc.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:59 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,249,738 times
A bit of advice, when you go to the DMV have the fax number for your lease company with you, make sure it is the fax number for the title department. They will obtain the title from that state and when it comes in they will call you. This takes about 2 weeks.

You only pay tax if you have had the vehicle less than six months (that is what we were told) Anyway, registration and plates were $225 for us. They said leases are a little higher. Our tax on our lease is a little higher but FL wants their share. Hope this helps.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,038 times
that's interesting. i got contradictory information from what docee2844 said up above. I just moved from CA to FL and was told by the auto tag agency that i went to in miami that my car would cost $425 for its initial registration b/c I never had a car registered under my name in FL before. all the material i've read on the FL DMV website indicates it should only cost $225 for an "initial registration". can someone help me clarify why it's so high (Maybe b/c it's a leased vehicle?) or if this guy is just trying to rip me off. thanks!

Old 09-25-2011, 10:23 AM

381 posts, read 489,628 times
They will want to see each car personally. Thankfully we were told to take them both over.
Check online and you will find what to bring.
It took us 2 or 3 trips to get the cars registered.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:22 PM

25 posts, read 33,646 times
Default almost 500

I just paid almost $500 to register , transfer title and tag my car. I own the car outright and had the title. They said it was that price because it was the first time I was registering a car in Florida. They also kept my title and said they would send me a copy in the mail.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:33 AM

8 posts, read 7,592 times
(bumping old thread here)

Q about the "first time registering a car in Florida" part. What if someone had been a resident back in 90's (had a FL license, registered cars), moved away, then moved back and re-established FL residency? Anyone know if that would have any effect on this process? Or is this tied more to the car or plate itself?

(probably reaching here, I know)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando