Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 03:33 PM

765 posts, read 2,637,951 times

Advertisements

One thing I have been reading on this board is that the schools down here may be one, sometimes two whole grade levels below the schools up north.

BTW; what is "Southern Flare" pertaining to the schools here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 05:07 PM

561 posts, read 1,923,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
One thing I have been reading on this board is that the schools down here may be one, sometimes two whole grade levels below the schools up north.

I probably didn't use the right word (nor spell it right; flair). But basically what i'm trying to get across is that I found there to be huge cultural differences between myself and a lot of the southerners in small town FL that have roots here going back multiple generations.

For me this is a factor in choosing schools while I am here in Florida, and I am guessing that there could also be some northerners that might feel the same.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:56 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
I don't believe these ratings of schools here, they are based of a rediculous test. I think the FCAT should not be used to determine whether or not your child passes or not. They are taliking about changing that. I've been here for 9 years and the schools that my kids have gone to have been great! I was very weary before we moved here from PA with all the bad rep FL schools get. Both kids went to Wilson Elementary, Greenwood Lakes and Lake Mary High. I think before anyone judges the schools, come here and check them out. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:14 PM

16 posts, read 97,395 times
@ the OP:When you seek advice on education, please consider the source.
For example, in regards to the last poster giving you school advice:
wary, not weary
and I think ridiculous, not rediculous
I am not sure what taliking means.

Perhaps this is the "Southern flair" previously discussed?

not judging, just saying.
My two cents.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:34 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westerndog View Post
wary, not weary

My two cents.
for example...greatschools.com gives the opportunity to give reviews...a student posted this review for Crooms Institute of Technology.....Great schools gives it a t 10 out of 10 rating....my paid for subscribed service gives it a 7 out of 10 rating...a student on great school posts the following review...

Posted August 18, 2007
The quality of Crooms has dropped greatly in the recent years. I m a 2005 graduate, the first graduating class. I have noticed my predecessors have been in a steady decline of intellectuals. I remember the days when Crooms was thought to be the 'Geek School' where intellectuals could go and seek out higher education and social surroundings that would be superior to the public schools. The school does not keep to the original standards that it had made for itself. 'Maintaining a GPA of 2.5' for example, but yet they still keep students who can't meet that standard. This sadly, is a distraction for the other students and lowers the schools scores and integrity.
Submitted by a student

.....Predecessors??? in a steady decline of intellectuals?? I don't want to go into what some of the other reviews looked like...check it out for yourselves...

Again, it is one data point. I can make typographical errors, and at times, I can make many ...lol... it is not the final judgement of a person's intelligence how they do on a message board, but taken in context, can it help? Sometimes, yes.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:45 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,002 times
All I can say it calm down, mamma, everything will be ok. You just moved which is really tough, you're having a hard time navigating the school system. Just enroll your kids in a convenient not so bad school that you've visited and feel comfy with, and stumble on through to the end of the year.

I think the time you should really start worrying about the quality of your kids' school is third grade. Another year to reassess is 6th grade. Then 9th grade. You've got a couple of years to figure out where your kids can go.

In the meantime your kids are guaranteed a good early education because you're clearly a mother who is concerned with education and you'll give them a great head start at home regardless the ranking of their public school.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:25 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westerndog View Post
wary, not weary

My two cents.
Sorry for the typos. Thanks, Parrotrosie.

Last edited by beckycat; 02-08-2009 at 06:37 PM..

Old 02-08-2009, 07:12 PM

910 posts, read 2,331,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post

Well, that's slowly changing, there has been improvement over this past decade with FL schools, but part of that is because of the growth and development. See my similar post below:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/7381180-post220.html

Old 02-09-2009, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 6,379 times
Thank you to all that have responded to my post. It is true that I am mom that is very involved in her children's education. I understand that we are only talking about kindergarten. However, I believe that we have worked too hard up until now to educate and raise well mannered boys that I am NOT willing to just hope that it is the right choice.

It is true that moves are difficult even when you are "thrilled" with your destination. I took the weekend off from researching and will be digging back in today. I am grateful for all of your information and hope to have my son in a new school in the next few days. For those of you that are going to be relocating from out of the state. Be sure to bring your medical records/shot records with you. We did not have these with us and have been waiting for them to arrive in the mail. (Ped. office would not fax) You cannot register without this.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:35 PM

141 posts, read 320,279 times
Here is something important to remember about school grades: Grades, I believe, are based on percentage of students who achieve thresholds.

So you could get an A by having a high proportion of kids gets just barely to the threshold.

Whereas if a certain proportion of kids are way above the threshold but some kids didn't make the threshold, the school would be a B or C.

What you, OP, want to know, is how effectively can a school educate your good student. You want to know which school best educates the TOP kids, not the average kids. And school grades will only give an insight into how they educate the average kid.

My take is that teachers educate kids far more than schools do. Especially within a county that presumably has a similar curriculum across schools, it's really the individual teacher than makes a difference. And some teachers are better at teaching the students with less natural ability whereas some are particularly gifted with taking the top student even further.

So don't worry too much about grades or rankings. Instead consider the individual teachers and work to get the teachers who are the best with the top students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando