Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:37 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times

Advertisements

Even if you stayed in the I drive/convention center area you still could have went to Citywalk, Pointe Orlando, and there's also a couple of clubs down that way also ( I forget their names right now)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 11:45 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
Even if you stayed in the I drive/convention center area you still could have went to Citywalk, Pointe Orlando, and there's also a couple of clubs down that way also ( I forget their names right now)
Those are the strip malls of night life.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:47 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
My advice next time you visit, consult with the locals or go straight to Miami where it's as easy to find a hot spot as it is to find sand on a beach.
I agree with this advice, you will have a blast in Miami.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:40 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostontoorlando View Post
The impression the Convention center/I-drive area makes on people is an important one and Orlando has in some respects squandered that opportunity thus far. While the convention center area is certainly not indicative of Orlando the city, it is all the exposure a huge swath of business and leisure visitors might ever have. The poster above is typical of those who might derive their impression of Orlando from a visit to that area
There was discussion recently about revitalizing that area with a more cosmopolitan, up to date, pedestrian-friendly dining/shopping area. This is in response to feedback from conventioneers who complain about the lack of same, in relation to other convention cities like New Orleans, etc. It would be nice for the local area as well-
We were just in Orlando for a family vacation and stayed along I-Drive, and I couldn't believe the convention center appeared to be in the middle of nowhere. Sure, it was on a nice tree-lined boulevard next to the highway and within a shuttle bus ride to Disney and Universal, but most cities put their convention centers downtown where the entertainment has density. Riding on trams and in shuttle buses becomes aggravating after a while, after it takes you 30 minutes to go 4 miles.

As mentioned, impressions of Orlando based on the area around I-Drive and I-4 are not good. Smelly, boarded up strip malls, half finished developments, and check cashing stores gave it a 3rd world country/suburban ghetto feel.

The only thing that looked decent was that Pointe Orlando development, but even that looked like just another faux downtown. I wish we had had time to visit downtown Orlando, but like a lot of people, we were stuck on I-Drive.

Plus, was it just me, or does City Walk get pretty scary on a Saturday night? (local gang-bangers?)

Old 02-18-2009, 08:15 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
I don't know how strip malls and check cashing stores equate to "third world". Could you explain? I do agree with the "suburban ghetto" observation. The "third world" vibe is found more in some parts of Miami (chickens in the streets, burglar bars, etc).

Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaturdayNight View Post
Hello from Philly.
Not to stir any flames here but I had once considered moving to Orlando to live and work but when I came down to visit I was pretty turned off by it. Orlando seems to be a very quiet town with not many people and things going on. Granted they have Disney World here but besides that, what else is there in this city that would attract a young guy or girl to this town?
I remember when I came here for my first time, prolly 7-8 years ago, I loved this city (probably mainly becuase I was younger and due to Disney World). But now since my second trip there couple months back, I was pretty bored there. I had a hard time finding things to do, bars to go drink or even other young people to socialize with.
Any inputs?
Thanks
It depends where you come from and what you enjoy doing...

I find it a bit boring for my taste, but that is because I enjoy real nightlife, ethnic restaurants, downtown shopping, comedy clubs, jazz clubs, walking from bar to bar, club to club, restaurant to restaurant without having to eve drive etc.

If you love wake boarding, jet-sking, theme parks, water parks, pool basketball/volleyball, playing soccer, football, rugby in parks, outlet malls etc then Orlando is a good choice.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:29 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I don't know how strip malls and check cashing stores equate to "third world". Could you explain? I do agree with the "suburban ghetto" observation. The "third world" vibe is found more in some parts of Miami (chickens in the streets, burglar bars, etc).
Not strip malls, "empty" strip malls. Or ones where the only tenants left are a check cashing store and a liquor store. And I saw a lot of bars on windows. All one needs to do is walk along I Drive, from Universal Blvd to Sand Lake Rd.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:43 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
Yeah, the nort end of I-Drive is nasty. The stretch between Festival Bay and Sand Lake is the worst. I was just out with friends at BB Kings and Howl at the Moon in one night and really like the south end of I Drive. I usually go out to downtown Orlando, but this was a rare night and I had fun.

I do not know about the hoodlums at Citiwalk because I have only gone there once for the clubs, but my friends and I have noticed sometimes when downtown that the crowd changes from a lot of professionals to hoodlums around 1-1:30. Lately on a lot of nights, I tend to wind down and leave by 1. Especially since there have been some stories of stabbings and shootings in some downtown clubs in the last month or so.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:29 PM

541 posts, read 1,994,662 times
I am from NY city and I think there is a ton of stuff to do here-never boring. You can actually get into concerts and shows too. Scalpers have not bought everything up like in NY.

Southwest Orlando Bulletin - Dining Guide 08 (http://www.southwestorlandobulletin.com/directorytext.asp?id=2458 - broken link)

Southwest Orlando Bulletin - Cultural Arts 08 (http://www.southwestorlandobulletin.com/directorytext.asp?id=2438 - broken link)

Orlando entertainment news, including things to do in Orlando, Disney, Universal Studios, reviews and so much more -- OrlandoSentinel.com

Florida Attractions: Florida theme parks and attractions -- OrlandoSentinel.com -- OrlandoSentinel.com

Old 02-20-2009, 08:38 AM

291 posts, read 1,203,713 times
Is Orlando boring?

That's a funny question ~ there's no place like Orlando in the world. Sure, there's Las Vegas which is more adult oriented of course, but Orlando is an International vacation destination. There is so much to do here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando