Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:34 PM

36 posts, read 215,439 times

Advertisements

I'll be attending the International Academy of Art and Design this summer and I'll be moving to Orange County Orlando next month.
The apartments I'll be moving into are called Millenia West it's on S Texas Ave and it's near an Americana Blvd.
Apartment Area code: 32839
International Academy of Design and Technology Area code: 32809

I've heard really bad things about the area but I'm hoping it's not as bad as it seems. You know how some places have certain streets that you just don't go down? And certain streets that are a little safer... is this area like that? Is S Texas Ave one of the safer streets?

I've already paid money to hold the apartment and the lady says that other college students live there... so if other students live in the apartments can't be that bad right?

I hope I haven't made a terrible mistake...

This is the apartment that I am getting ready to rent out

http://www.berkshireapartments.com/realpage/realpage.aspx?prpURL=milleniawest (broken link)

The location should be on the website too...

I seriously hope I haven't made a mistake... I've grew up in a ghetto up north and I've seen the ghettos in Florida as well, but these apartments don't look as ghetto... And it seems to be set back from the rest of the neighborhood... Is it that bad?
I'm currently in West Palm Beach and over here one side is really ghetto and the otherside (where I live) is very nice. Hopefully Orange County is like that too...
I mean that's where the International Academy of Design and Technology is located, a college wouldn't be located in a really ghetto area would it? ...I was looking on Google maps' satellite view, and the area looked very decent... kind of like a small town...

The apartment is about a 20 min walk from the school...
I don't have a car
...I think I've made a huge mistake... :'( But I've paid already... And the guy that co signed for me is in the Navy and did the paperwork right before he deployed so everything's all set

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 09:45 PM

717 posts, read 2,807,889 times
Then I am hesitant to put in my 2 cents worth--in a nutshell, I would not want to live here. Americana Blvd is bad news no matter where you are. I hate to tell you this, but that particular area is one of the highest violent crime rates in all of Orlando. If you are familiar with the Jennifer Kessee missing person case from a few years ago, this is where they found her abandoned car at--after she disappeared from her condo a few blocks away (which is supposedly on the good side). When you get to the intersection of John Young Parkway going north--to the right is American Blvd & to the left is Conroy Road. You want nothing to do with the right hand side. Jennifer disappeared from 2 blocks to the left--right near Millenia Mall. When you get here you will find her picture still posted on lots of places in this area of Orlando. If you didn't know who she was, you soon will.

Just a tip--did the apartment complex disclose the crime rate at its complex to you?

There are a lot of new apt complexes in the area around Mall of Millenia--which is a very upscale mall--but it is too close to the really bad area.

I like to try and be positive, but I would never let my daughter or sons live in this area.

Last edited by itsajourney; 02-20-2009 at 10:19 PM..

Old 02-20-2009, 09:56 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
20 min is a long way to walk in that area

Old 02-20-2009, 10:18 PM

717 posts, read 2,807,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
20 min is a long way to walk in that area
NO KIDDING>>>I am with you on this one.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:35 PM

Just try to get to know as many fellow students as possible and try to travel in groups......maybe get yourself a bicycle although with Orlando drivers that can be dicey also. Maybe you'll meet a fellow student who has a car.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:04 PM

Also the 08 lynx bus stops near where you live. It will get you to Oak Ridge rd. where you won't have to walk so far.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:05 PM

88 posts, read 312,160 times
That area is bad news, no sugarcoating to be done I am afraid. I work in the same commercial complex that your school is in, and once upon a time I decided to try living ultra close to work and grabbed an apartment in the area...got a gun stuck in my face for my trouble, and this was 10+ years ago.

You really...really....need to explore every avenue as far as arranging an alternate place to live. I am sure if you press hard enough they will refund what you have paid to this point...do not take no for an answer.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:25 AM

910 posts, read 2,330,266 times
How much did you put in to hold the apt? Your safety and health is more important than any money in the world.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:42 PM

88 posts, read 312,160 times
Man Shot And Killed At Busy Apartment Complex - News Story - WFTV Orlando

This is the Americana/Texas area in a nutshell.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:04 AM

4 posts, read 11,503 times
Question Orlo Vista

My family and I are scheduled to move to an apartment complex in Orlo Vista, in Orlando, in one week. The area feeds into Dr. Phillips HS, which I hear is an excellent school.

Anyone have more info on this area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando