Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 03:42 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,114 times

Advertisements

Not only is stuff overcast and gray for a good clip of the year...while you all are opening your pools now in sunny Florida...all our trees are still...well...dead. Big brown sticks with nothing on them...growning out of big brown patches of dead grass with brown dead leaves still on the ground from the fall. 40 degrees of brown dead dreary crud everywhere...covered by gray dreary damp skies......bleck.

Enjoy your pool!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 05:53 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ang08 View Post
First off, I know there are those who just plain HATE Florida, no ifs ands or buts. No offense, but this question is not for you

We lived in FL (Orlando) for 2 years about ten years ago. I LOVED the climate, summer included. I've never been so comfortable in my life. No mountains but it has it's own unique beauty. We currently live the Pacific NW (to be near family) and I am miserable. Seasonal depression that lasts November - May and only 2-3 months a year are tolerable here .

I know FL has it's problems - crime, poor schools, economy, etc. We have a good quality of life where we are - low crime, good schools, etc. BUT I hate it every time I walk outside. I'm sick of walking around hunched over and angry. I love to be outdoors but can't most of the year.

So I guess my question is this: Would it be a huge mistake to come back? We have two young kids. We could afford a decent house in a nice community, if that makes a difference, and my husband telecommutes from home so he can work/live anywhere.

thanks.

I wouldn't have left in the first place but that's just me....I love Fla. Come on back!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:05 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
Not only is stuff overcast and gray for a good clip of the year...while you all are opening your pools now in sunny Florida...all our trees are still...well...dead. Big brown sticks with nothing on them...growning out of big brown patches of dead grass with brown dead leaves still on the ground from the fall. 40 degrees of brown dead dreary crud everywhere...covered by gray dreary damp skies......bleck.

Enjoy your pool!!!!
Speaking of swimming, it was 86 the other day. My son and I were in the pool and the water was perfect.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:57 PM

910 posts, read 2,331,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Speaking of swimming, it was 86 the other day. My son and I were in the pool and the water was perfect.
I'm sure the skiers and snowboarders are very jealous of you...

Old 03-16-2009, 08:31 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,114 times
I know I am very jealous!!!!!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 PM

436 posts, read 1,089,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
LOL, you'll sell your house so you can move to NC eventually! LOL. I hear the market may pick up after the end of the year... I am trying to do the same Beckycat, were in the same boat. Ever thought about renting your house out?

Old 03-17-2009, 08:44 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
LOL, you'll sell your house so you can move to NC eventually! LOL. I hear the market may pick up after the end of the year... I am trying to do the same Beckycat, were in the same boat. Ever thought about renting your house out?
We don't want to rent and we need the money to pay for the next house right away. I've had 2 homes in the past b/c the sale fell through and boy was it stressful. I just don't want to have that hanging over me. How about you? Where are you going in NC?

Old 03-17-2009, 04:04 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
You're not nuts, come on back to Florida! I was born here (Tampa) and have lived in several cities in the Tampa Bay area, and as far as I'm concerned there is no place better! I have never lived in Orlando, but it seems like an exciting place - I just love the look of it at night, when all the buildings are lit up as seen from the highway, it has a magical feel to it. And people that talk about how hot it gets in central Florida, are really exaggerating, we lived in Lakeland and I found the climate very pleasant - only a few uncomfortably hot days.

Bottom line, if a person likes sun and warmer weather, this is the state to be, we have the most beautiful beaches in the U.S! Time's a'wastin'!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:00 PM

42 posts, read 104,432 times
Default The breezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
I know the climate in the PNW could be tough to get used to with 5-6 months of clouds but why Orlando? Why not check out other areas near the coast that at least have a seabreeze. Its insane heat in Orlando from April-late September. In the spring the coastlines are often 5-7 degrees cooler during the day and it makes a huge difference 80 vs mid-high 80's. I can think of plenty of places in the US with a better climate than Orlando. I don't want 4 months of winter but I also don't want 6 months of summer.
I kind of agree about the coast and the breezes. I am originally from the Northeast and grew up near the water. One of the things I miss most is the refreshing coastal breezes, but I certainly wouldn't trade them for the cold, or the gray months.

If you don't want to be on a coast, may I suggest Clermont. It's got some nice hills and lots of lakes. You can even find nice breezes in the right parts of town; like near Lake Louisa. Clermont's got some pretty scenery and still hold's on to that small town feel. It might be some place to check into.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:56 AM

8 posts, read 15,720 times
omg I could have written this post! I am a Florida native, born in Sanford raised in Kissimmee and lived as a young adult in Orlando. We moved to Texas in 2006 and as I sit here freezing in mid march I am BEYOND homesick! I go back and forth on the school issues, and if we should stay here or move back home! My heart says screw the schools we can make it work, but I am so afraid they will just get worse and worse. But I long so badly to just pack up and run home!

Does anyone have any info on the schools? Anyone have elementary children (activly involved parents?) I am a preschool teacher at a private school here in Texas and we have great schools, but the smog makes us all ill and I am tired of freezing half the year and melting on the sun the other half I feel like Dorthy at the moment and wish I had her Ruby Slippers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando