Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 12:29 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan0519 View Post
Nice between March/April and October/December. The rest of the time it's too hot (red lights can FRY YOU ALIVE).
Yeah, I agree. We moved down from the DC area with the BMW 335 hard top CV. We moved at the end of last May. I had the top down 3 times in the summer time. It's freaking too hot and I thought my skin would sunburn.

From mid-October until March, I've had the top down numerous times because the weather has been excellent....although it's been a rather chilly winter for Orlando (according to locals down here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 12:39 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,582 times
I think after living here for a few years you won't feel so hot in the Summer time That's why it doesn't bother me now. Like I used to see people in Chicago take their tops down when it hits the 50s (I would freeze to death now) natives here will put them down in the 90s. It's all relative.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:41 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
I think after living here for a few years you won't feel so hot in the Summer time That's why it doesn't bother me now. Like I used to see people in Chicago take their tops down when it hits the 50s (I would freeze to death now) natives here will put them down in the 90s. It's all relative.

My convertible didn't move from the garage between Thanksgiving and last weekend. Too cold!

Old 03-13-2009, 02:58 PM

197 posts, read 752,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It's just as easy to smash a window and steal a radio.
True, but breaking a window makes too much noise and you need something heavy to do so. A small knife is quiet and easy to conceal.

People who love convertibles will continue to buy them. I only offered my opinion because the OP asked for opinions/advice. If a friend purchased one, I would just tell them how nice it is and how I'm sure they'll love driving it with the top down.

iuki

Old 03-13-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuki001 View Post
True, but breaking a window makes too much noise and you need something heavy to do so. A small knife is quiet and easy to conceal.

People who love convertibles will continue to buy them. I only offered my opinion because the OP asked for opinions/advice. If a friend purchased one, I would just tell them how nice it is and how I'm sure they'll love driving it with the top down.

iuki
You can break a car window quietly and with a device small enough to ride on your keychain. You'll make more noise taking out the radio than you will breaking the window.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:16 AM

132 posts, read 325,319 times
Now is a great time to buy a convertible if you want one. Due to the economy, some are selling off their toys. You should be able to find a used one at a very good price.

Joe

Old 03-14-2009, 08:57 AM

Not just with convertibles, but I've seen a lot of sports cars, RV's, boats, quads, etc. for sale at distressed pricing. The dealers used to be happy to take that type of stuff as a trade-in towards a new car purchase--not so much anymore.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:15 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,749,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan0519 View Post
Nice between March/April and October/December. The rest of the time it's too hot (red lights can FRY YOU ALIVE).

Old 03-23-2009, 12:28 PM

5 posts, read 17,547 times
I have a VW Beetle soft top convertible. I've had it for 3 years. It is true what they say about it being too hot come May/JUne until October to ride with the top down in the daytime. Even with the AC blowing full blast in your face, it really is too hot to have it down.

But that doesn't bother me, it is worth it to have it down during Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb/March/April each year and also during the summer at night. I finally broke down and purchased the optional wind screen for the back seat of my beetle last month and now I tend to ride with the top down a LOT more. There is considerably less wind in the car now and if you leave the windows up, it's just like walking outside during a breezy day. Best of all, I get a sun tan while driving!

Hubby and I just drove to Ft. Myers for the weekend and kept the top down the whole time, it was great and a lot of fun to drive.

On the downside, what the other poster said is also true....if you have a soft top, you do run the risk of someone slashing it. It happened to me a year ago, I was NOT happy. Between the deductible and regular wear/tear fee, I had to pay $630 to get it replaced...I was NOT happy. Cost without insurance would have been about $3K.

Happy driving!

Old 03-24-2009, 03:56 PM

15 posts, read 105,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You can break a car window quietly and with a device small enough to ride on your keychain. You'll make more noise taking out the radio than you will breaking the window.

How do you know? Do you have experience in these things?? lol!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist! I actually had a conv once and it was completely stripped out - windows not broken and you can guess how they got in.

This is not to say they aren't nice. I definitely miss it but I don't think I would have one in a big city again.. (like Orlando) I also worry about skin cancer from being in the strong Florida sun with that top down. My entire family has been stricken with skin cancer VERY young in each case and I try to do as much as I can to avoid that from happening to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: