U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 04:32 PM

8 posts, read 6,492 times
Anyone have any input for me in regards to my post at the top of this page?

Just how bad is employment in Orlando? I guess things could change with in the next year or so before I move too, so that might be tough to answer. If I made the move, I'd most likely be making it (like I said) with no job, but I'd pretty much take any entry level job I could get when down there. I'm not looking to settle down and start a family yet really, just looking to move to a place with a nice climate and have a bit of fun while starting up my post-collegiate life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 04:55 PM

7,876 posts, read 4,603,171 times
Tough story, but you have 3 special needs kids, not to mention your own health difficulties. Sounds like a very unique problem and you're going to have the same problem no matter where you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiadawn View Post
LIVE BEYOND ARE NEEDS ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!! We can barley but food on the table and clothes on our back. My children are all special need children we go to speech therapy 4 times a week for Kyles Speech Apraxia. Between the trips to the Dr's, therapies is enough to overwhelm anyone. We have 2 car payments, one will be done in 3 more payments, thank God, the other car was just put back on the road after being without a transmission for 4 months, we were waiting to get one from the junk yards, I would call them just about everyday. I didn't have the luxury of going to a garage and saying put one in please. We all Drove around in our truck with no air conditioner in it when my husband was in the hospital for 18 days. What a sight that was all 5 people in a smoldering truck!! I haven't had a haircut in over a year. We shop at publix's ONLY to buy one get one, then we go to Walmart. I am on 5 medications with no insurance. Just yesterday I cashed my silver in, and 2 years ago pawned my wedding ring and band. So I budget the best way I can. It's called life, I just keep watering down the Ice Tea. And I am damn proud of us as a family we couldn't be closer.

But I am very happy for you both for making it on what you make.
Smiles,
Robyn
Here's the limo I ordered to take us to Gaylord Palms tonight, gotta go, bye....

Old 07-01-2011, 05:31 PM

8,144 posts, read 2,441,733 times
If it is just yourself you have much more flexibility. Not sure what Orlando job situation is like. However, last I looked FL unemployment was U3 about 10-11% and U6 around 20%. I think roughly about six states have unemployment near this level. Recently, there were some lower level jobs created though.

If the weather is your thing you might consider leaving the country. Brazil or Chile maybe.

That said you only need 1 job. If you plan for the worst it certainly will work in your favor.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:04 PM

374 posts, read 481,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
Anyone have any input for me in regards to my post at the top of this page?

Just how bad is employment in Orlando? I guess things could change with in the next year or so before I move too, so that might be tough to answer. If I made the move, I'd most likely be making it (like I said) with no job, but I'd pretty much take any entry level job I could get when down there. I'm not looking to settle down and start a family yet really, just looking to move to a place with a nice climate and have a bit of fun while starting up my post-collegiate life.
Rodey, if you've read through any of the threads here with the multitude of people asking for "advice" you will quickly see that rarely does anyone on these forums recommend that someone move anywhere without a job. I haven't read in the forums or heard on the news that Orlando has an abundance of jobs. In fact, just the opposite. Unemployment is very high in most of Florida - just as it currently is in many, many areas of the country. The national news ran a feature this week (for the second time this year) about the 1,000s of people with children in the Kississimmee area who are out of work and homeless. Grim story. Why don't you check out the employment forum on CD and see what they say...

If you are really so "special" that you think you can find a job above the droves that are already unemployed and your graduating peers next year, when so many others cannot, then good luck and go for it. If you have money saved and are willing to take an "entry" level job somewhere... entry level as in being a waiter or flipping burgers, then go for it. If you have plenty of money saved, are interested in just having fun and living life for the experience of moving there - then go for it.

I suspect that far more than advice you really want validation for your plan to "start your life" in Florida without a job. I think you are viewing it as a great adventure - which it will be - and you simply want people here to say, hey, great idea, good plan, it worked for me and you'll be fine... Sorry, but no validation from me - it's a really risky and, IMO, foolhardy plan in this economy. However, I do wish you the best of luck - just take plenty of $$$$$ with you when you go

Last edited by TN Gal now; 07-01-2011 at 07:30 PM..

Old 07-01-2011, 07:06 PM

7,876 posts, read 4,603,171 times
Go for it Rodey. The odds are that you are going to be looking for a job here just as much as you would be looking for one there. 10 percent unemployed means 90 percent are employed. I think some people feel that everyone is going to be in the 10 percent, I don't see why.

You're young and have plenty of time to build a life you want.

Just make sure you have back up funds or the access to it. You don't want to wind up like Albert Hammond. http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/a/albert_hammond/it_never_rains_in_southern_california.html (http://http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/a/albert_hammond/it_never_rains_in_southern_california.html - broken link)

Old 07-02-2011, 05:20 AM

2,009 posts, read 2,470,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
Rodey, if you've read through any of the threads here with the multitude of people asking for "advice" you will quickly see that rarely does anyone on these forums recommend that someone move anywhere without a job. I haven't read in the forums or heard on the news that Orlando has an abundance of jobs. In fact, just the opposite. Unemployment is very high in most of Florida - just as it currently is in many, many areas of the country. The national news ran a feature this week (for the second time this year) about the 1,000s of people with children in the Kississimmee area who are out of work and homeless. Grim story. Why don't you check out the employment forum on CD and see what they say...

If you are really so "special" that you think you can find a job above the droves that are already unemployed and your graduating peers next year, when so many others cannot, then good luck and go for it. If you have money saved and are willing to take an "entry" level job somewhere... entry level as in being a waiter or flipping burgers, then go for it. If you have plenty of money saved, are interested in just having fun and living life for the experience of moving there - then go for it.

I suspect that far more than advice you really want validation for your plan to "start your life" in Florida without a job. I think you are viewing it as a great adventure - which it will be - and you simply want people here to say, hey, great idea, good plan, it worked for me and you'll be fine... Sorry, but no validation from me - it's a really risky and, IMO, foolhardy plan in this economy. However, I do wish you the best of luck - just take plenty of $$$$$ with you when you go
Sure it is risky, but isn't it risky almost anytime you graduatre and go out looking for a jo? .Sometimes taking chances is how you make it work out. His advantage is he is single and not pulling up a whole family and bringing them to Florida like a lot of posters write about. It is much cheaper and easier to make it as a single. He can live in an apartment with several others to help pay expenses or tent it in a campground if he has to and even get a job at a theme park if need be to help out if he doesn't get the job in his career choice right away. If all else fails and he has to return, it is much easier to get one person home than a family. So if his heart is set on Florida now is the time to make the move instead of waiting till he has a family.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:49 AM

374 posts, read 481,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Sure it is risky, but isn't it risky almost anytime you graduatre and go out looking for a jo? .Sometimes taking chances is how you make it work out. His advantage is he is single and not pulling up a whole family and bringing them to Florida like a lot of posters write about. It is much cheaper and easier to make it as a single. He can live in an apartment with several others to help pay expenses or tent it in a campground if he has to and even get a job at a theme park if need be to help out if he doesn't get the job in his career choice right away. If all else fails and he has to return, it is much easier to get one person home than a family. So if his heart is set on Florida now is the time to make the move instead of waiting till he has a family.
Well, I'm going to back up here and admit I was wrong. I thought about it even before reading follow-up posts, but you are right.

The OP will be fresh out of college, is young, no family to support and what better time to seek adventures and explore what he wants out of life and where he wants to live? So, I'm going to agree that if Rodey wants to move to FL, or anywhere else, regardless of the economy, just go, prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. I do suggest that he keep a journal of his experiences. The day will come when he will look back fondly on those days with little or no regret for not following his dream.

Good luck Rodey

Old 07-08-2011, 01:01 AM

21,626 posts, read 30,599,066 times
I find it interesting that the guy promised to update everyone and never came back. After all of that bravado, desperately looking for validation, he disappeared.

Kind of eery though. Honestly, I hope he and his wife are okay.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:34 AM

89 posts, read 85,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I find it interesting that the guy promised to update everyone and never came back. After all of that bravado, desperately looking for validation, he disappeared.

Kind of eery though. Honestly, I hope he and his wife are okay.

I definitely have to agree with you, he just dropped from the forum.
I really hope they are ok.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 1,491 times
My husband and I are planning on moving from New Jersey to the East Orlando area . My friend is buying a house and is renting it to us. I am on permanent disability but my hubby would be leaving 24 yrs. as a diesel mechanic for the move. What do you guys think are his chances of finding work in his field in the area? While I want to support his decision (I was the one that initiated the idea) I am worried about leaving the security and health insurance that his present job provides. One reason he wants to leave is bc he has had 2 knee repair surgeries and he would like to eventually change fields but is willing to take a job as a diesel mechanic for now. What are your thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando