Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:02 PM

216 posts, read 913,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossball View Post
Yes. I have resumes out as of yesterday. No kids. But we will loose our health insurance OMG!!
If you don't have kids, then I would say go for it you're probably going to do it anyway right . Maybe you'll find a job paying what you want, maybe you won't. As long as you are willing to take whatever you can get, should it get to that, then what have you got to lose. What is the worst that can happen? Even with the high unemployment rate, you and your wife both have experience and skills and should be able to get some type of employment.

On the health insurance, you are probably eligible for COBRA which means you pay 100% of the premium out of pocket, but at least you can have insurance coverage while you are unemployed.

Good luck to you - I know how it feels to really want to move to FL. We just got here last summer and I couldn't wait. My husband did get a job prior to moving, but we have 2 young children. There is NO way I would ever move without a job & health insurance with kids, that is just plain irresponsible.

I would ask your wife 'What is the WORST case scenario' and wait for her answer. I would then make an educated guess at the likelihood of her worst fears coming true and see if you can alleviate some of her fears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 05:00 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
annerk, I know you want to give sound advice but I know for a fact you are 100% wrong about truck driver salaries in Orlando. Go to any job board and show me that there isn't 13-16 starting wage for truck driving. My friend works for Fedex frieght in Orlando and makes 19.50 an hour top rate is 21.50. No where in the country do truck drivers make 9.00 an hour. make small package stuff but what I drive you don't make that kind of money. Please just positive responses from now on. Curious annerk.. what is your occupation?
I've heard of them paying between $9-10/hr for truck drivers. That is probably delivery service for local companies. Are you talking about an 18 wheeler? Fedex probably pays that much, but it's very hard to become a driver. They have you work in the warehouse and wait for a driver position to open up which usually takes up to 2 years. I have a friend that works for UPS as a driver and you're right they do make good money. Not trying to be negative, just honest. I don't think it's a bad idea to investigate.

I know what you're saying about wanting to move to FL. We came here, 2 kids and no jobs. Not to top it off, the sale of house fell through in PA. (eek!) I found a job immediately. My Dh found a job, but it was hard and not whjat he really wanted. He said forget this and started his own landscaping business. This was in 200 though. I believe if you have your mind set, you'll be able to do it.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:08 PM

18 posts, read 66,191 times
I truly appreciate all the input so far. Yes, I may have to do anything at first. Even the dreaded 2 job deal hehe. But I figure that once we are there paying for our expensives each month.. That is my first goal. Our expensives in Orlando I calculated to be about 2600-2800 a month. Only thing that I changed was the rent here in New York is 1300 and there hopefully 900 and I added all the tolls and gas we will be using xtra in Orlando also. As you see, I'm not talking mansion in gated community. My estimate is If i can take home 450.00 at first and my wife 300.00 at first we will scrape by for the first year. Please tell me guys that this isn't a great deal of money in Orlando to be had?

Old 03-23-2009, 05:15 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
I truly appreciate all the input so far. Yes, I may have to do anything at first. Even the dreaded 2 job deal hehe. But I figure that once we are there paying for our expensives each month.. That is my first goal. Our expensives in Orlando I calculated to be about 2600-2800 a month. Only thing that I changed was the rent here in New York is 1300 and there hopefully 900 and I added all the tolls and gas we will be using xtra in Orlando also. As you see, I'm not talking mansion in gated community. My estimate is If i can take home 450.00 at first and my wife 300.00 at first we will scrap by for the first year. Please tell me guys that this isn't a great deal of money in Orlando to be had?
I think that sounds reasonable. You could live off that, just have a budget and stick to it. I always say, it's not how much money you have, it's how you spend it. If you really want it, it may not be easy, but it can be done! Good luck!

Old 03-23-2009, 06:34 PM

631 posts, read 2,450,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrFlaBound View Post
what industries would you think that are doing well right now in Orlando??
The Health Care industry, Science/Research, IT/Telecommunications and Sales for some of the aforementioned industries.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:50 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
Quote:
My wife and I are planning to move soon without jobs. I have done this before but she is scared to death hehe. How can I convince her to not be afraid and just have confidence? we have savings to last us a few months and we both are in somewhat high demand jobs. I know most people are like my wife and feel a little scared so it's hard to find people like me who just do it have confidence and wing it so to speak. Please only people who have positive suggestions. I already know the doom and gloom suggestions hehe ...please any advice to say to my wife to make her feel less afraid
Hey if you got the cajones do it! But it ain't gonna be easy! I will be looking to do the same thing in a few months but I am trying to have a situation lined up. Good luck and Godspeed!

Old 03-24-2009, 12:00 AM

35 posts, read 154,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Your wife is right to be afraid. You will need much more than a couple of months savings to make it here. Do you realize how flooded the job market is with actual residents who have lived here for years and years? Even if you have a high demand career it could still take months to land the job.

I doubt anyone will come on here and say that moving to Orlando without jobs lined up with only a little savings is a good idea. It is a disaster waiting to happen.

Best of luck though (you'll need it)
I couldn't agree more, we are in the same baot wanting to move from Buffalo but cannot get jobs.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:45 AM

18 posts, read 66,191 times
Well Bbills, I'm going to do it soon so I will let you know how my situation unfolds. I'm sure we have different careers and plans but I'll let everyone know soon if I beat the odds and actually land jobs for my wife and I. Truly, if I can do it anyone can. hehe we will see..

Old 03-24-2009, 01:18 PM

176 posts, read 510,417 times
Hi im the same way as you I think actions speak louder then words in this case do your research for her show her the markets your in are in demand show her prices for apts and put away money so that you have at least 3 months of money that you can live off. Keep a open line of communication thats really important I cant stress that enough so she doesnt end up resenting you if things dont work out there. Make sure you take everything she says in to account and ask her what her exact concerns are. Just keep reassureing her and do your research to show her that your serious about doing this right. Good luck I hope everything works out for you!!!!

Old 03-24-2009, 04:13 PM

291 posts, read 1,203,713 times
I say go for it ~ we did it in Jan. and are glad we did! We had no jobs lined up but a few months worth of bills saved up.
You will find the jobs you want, and if you don't, there is always McDonalds,lol. I see help wanted signs there and lots of little shops and stores in the tourist areas. There are jobs ~ just be positive and do what you want to do
Good luck, you'll love it here!
Oh, and as for her feeling better about it, just remind her about all the wonderful things there is to do here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando