Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:49 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Is Orlando....'churchy'?

Meaning...is this a city similar to other southern cities where 'what church do you go to?' is a common question asked among strangers when they first meet?

Old 04-06-2009, 04:49 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I've never been asked that, and while you'll find some ultra-religious here, I'd say that the mix between them and everyone else is the same as it is in any city in the north. It is not a City where all social activity revolves around the curch, unless you want it to. If you do, there are plenty of churches both large and small to choose from.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:42 AM

33 posts, read 147,691 times
I can answer that question. NO!!!!!. I am originally from Arkansas, and I asked that question quite often to several people within the first year of living in Orlando. (I am african american) I received little to no response, and the response I did receive was uninviting and stand offish. It is like the people were elusive in disclosing where they worshipped. It was a major disappointment to me. Everything I am interested in, does not revolve around the church, but I do love to attend regularly.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:54 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdiffy View Post
I can answer that question. NO!!!!!. I am originally from Arkansas, and I asked that question quite often to several people within the first year of living in Orlando. (I am african american) I received little to no response, and the response I did receive was uninviting and stand offish. It is like the people were elusive in disclosing where they worshipped. It was a major disappointment to me. Everything I am interested in, does not revolve around the church, but I do love to attend regularly.
I'd probably be a bit standoff-ish as well, unless we had become good friends. Usually when someone asks a question like that, it's because theya re trying to "save" the person they are asking. I am at peace with my beliefs, and the last thing I need is some freak trying to shove a bible at me.

I'm not saying this was your intent, but it is the intent all too often to the point that most people get pretty defensive about it. And I don't care what your skin color or ethnic background is, I have friends from every continent--except Antartica.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:44 AM

66 posts, read 226,925 times
i wouldnt say its "church-y" i think there are more gen-x churches in the area or a lot of traditional churches with gen-x services, so there is a lot more modern less in your face type of 'church' ppl i think the area is real diverse that church isnt the main focus in the area, but there are a lot of churches, in all sorts of denom's, and religious beliefs

Old 04-06-2009, 11:42 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
My question is " so where are you from?" Of 100 you may find one from here... that is enough for a conversation.

We do seem to have an abundance of churches and lots are being built. oh well hopefully they will keep eveyone being nice to each other.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:53 AM

479 posts, read 1,455,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdiffy View Post
I tend to agree with you and I've been here over 30 years. Church folks here do not seem to be as friendly nor as welcoming as those in other southern states ...like TN and Arkansas. Plus, there's a good chance that if you go to a traditional church, you're going to find a lot of politics there -- which is one thing I cannot abide.

As to the OP's question, I found Orlando and the Orlando area to be anything but 'churchy'. Matter of fact, you have to look for quite some time to find anyone who goes to church regularly.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Well when you ask inappropriate questions of people you will get a blank stare.

You don't ask people you just met or don't know very well about religion, or for that matter politics.

You discuss things like the weather, many people including myself like personal businsess to be just that.

It is very forward to be asking questions like that of people you don't know.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:25 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,357 times
So, now it's OK to ask where one might go shopping, or get your hair done, or what is a good place to eat, but it's innappropriate to ask where is a nice place to worship??!!

It is a question I will be asking when I arrive, as I will be very much missing my Church when I arrive there....glad to know ahead of time that it's a rude question lol...

Old 04-06-2009, 08:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
No that is not what I said, I said asking someone you don't know what their religion is rude, I didn't say asking about churches and their locations was rude.

"Excuse me I am Catholic could you please tell me where I could find information on Catholic churches in the area? " Perfectly ok.

"What religion are you?" Not ok.

Get it.

You don't ask people you don't know personal questions like age, religion, politics, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: