Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 06:54 AM

5 posts, read 13,522 times

Advertisements

Hi, Im new, and have been reading the threads on here about moving over the pond and living my FL dream.

My partner (we are not married), has a sister who is a American citazen in CA, she is here visiting us rite now, and we are just looking into the Visa Situation. Im looking to move to FL, as for me its the place to be. Their seems to be pockets of Brits in places all over FL from reading these threads. Im asking if I may, can you help me with the geography somewhat, I would like central FL, near Disney for my children, near shopping a chemist a doctor, those are my immediate needs. Schooling is important also, currently my boys are 4 and 13, but expect to wait a while for Visa (as its Sister to Brother sponsoring)

I would be selling my UK Pounds 200,000.00 house, so I can buy a huge one in FL with a Pool.. and would be looking to work also (as my boys would both be at school).

So, where should I look based upon my criteria ?

I also have two Alaskan Malamutes that would be coming with me, and I notice already that FL has a Malamute Rescue, so I could get my hands dirty with that just to help out and do my bit.

Any information you can share with me would be great. thanks so much Jan x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 07:14 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,931,227 times
Do not expect to find work easily. With the dramatic unemployment rates, your chances of getting an employer sponsored visa are slim to none.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:41 AM

I would be coming on a family visa, not a work orientated one. However, I would like to work, but I have been self-employed for the last 10 years here, so would probably start my own business again in FL. May take me 3 years to get their, in that time, I would like to learn all I can in preparation. thank you. Jan x

Old 04-07-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute lover View Post
I would be coming on a family visa, not a work orientated one. However, I would like to work, but I have been self-employed for the last 10 years here, so would probably start my own business again in FL. May take me 3 years to get their, in that time, I would like to learn all I can in preparation. thank you. Jan x
A family visa doesn't entitle you to work or earn money in the US. You would need a different type of Visa for either of those.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:08 AM

My Apologies, its a I-I30 Visa, my partner is completing this with his sister, I believe from what I have been told this does entitle me to both. I was reading a Family Visa as I was typing (should'nt do two things at once).

Old 04-07-2009, 08:25 AM

The I-130 isn't a Visa, it's a petition form. It can only be used to sponsor a relative or fiance by a US Citizen. You would have to be married to your partner for your partners sister to sponsor you.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 AM

Yes we are planning on getting married this Christmas. From what I have read, it may take me 3 years to achieve my move, so I have time to learn all I need. My partner did have his own Green card, but it expired in 01, and he never renewed, shame, as if he had would have been so simple. such is life !

Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 AM

196 posts, read 816,372 times
I have lived and worked both in the U.S. and the U.K. and currently reside in the Gulf. When you research the costs of living in the U.S. (property taxes, health insurance, income taxes both federal and state and all other costs) you will notice that you wont be any richer! For example compare your current council tax to what you would pay in Orange county (you could input the price of your new home on the link) Orange County Property Appraiser's Office Home(www.ocpafl.org) you will see what I mean. Life is great in the U.S. but it is not cheap or cheaper....net net it will cost you the same...unless of course you move to a tax free jurisdiction with a lot of sun.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:54 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,139,011 times
200K U.K. converts to about 300K U.S. If you have $300K cash to purchase here in Orlando that will buy you a decent sized home in great area's such as Windermere, Lake Mary, Lake Nona. There are several other area's that may be worth a look, just depends on just how close you need to be to disney.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:43 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,070,652 times
I understood that it takes longer than 3 years for the family petition, can be quite a lot. You need to look into your actual status as just being married doesn't always work out well. I know of marriages lived on two sides of the Atlantic because the US wont let a non us citizen in, even though they are married to one. Everywhere you move to, unless its the middle of nowhere is accessible to all services and shopping. Disney wears off after a while, so I'd look for somewhere you want to live all the time and not just for a few years visiting parks. Try farther out, and look at other areas of Florida, many like to be nearer to the coast, and drive to parks when they want them. There is plenty of housing available all over the state just now, due to the awful market, so you have lots of choice. I'd go, work, schools, best/safe locations, and put disney and activities after that.
Good luck to you, I hope it all works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando