Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:27 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Blond View Post
[The only people who were approacing something similar was the Meth addicted population of Utah...]

Actually Nevada has the largest Meth problem in the country. Glad I could help.

Oh and, while noting some people seem to have an obsession with their dislike of Disney(no names neccesary)... it's rather obvious that anyone who begins showing mental health weaknesses on the job at Disney, reasonably would've done the same working at a bank or at Bob's Big Boy. They had that weakness to begin with. If you're falling apart on the job you get out & get help before winding up in a room with padded walls blaming your employer. Your job might add to an issue/illness you've already got. But it is YOU, not the company. And it's just a guess, but I'm going to bet most of the employees are young & not as able to cope with LIFE or stresses as well as a more seasoned adult. In fact you can 'hear' certain age groups just in their posts. The maturity factor and mental health factor play a large role.

Your clearly not paying attention...the assessment of the psychiatric professionals was that Disney attracted people with psychiatric problems...not my assessent but theirs.

Disney insisted on having a clinic set up so that if the employee lived in a three county area, the patients were seen at only these clinics...more control of treatment and information...Disney insisted that their members have a "warm line" where their members could call and go straight to a licensed mental health professional, no que for the calls, no waiting, they were the only contract that company had, that had these features...

As for Nevada, I can imagine that is true given the gambling atmosphere, however I didn't have access to their stats...

My opinions are not based on a dislike of Disney, in fact my daughter and I have been passholders for 5 years now and go there alot.

Last edited by Lisa_from_Debary; 04-16-2007 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: adding information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 01:43 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,640 times
If I worked for Disney, I too would need mental help. Working for Disney is a "mental job"

Disney wants to control all mental records because that is what they do. They keep everything, even crimes on their own property, under the wraps. No one really hears about what the hell goes on in Disney property and with Disney workers.

Disney even has their own police. They never call the regular cops, so crimes and problems never get to the news. That is why Disney's security is known as the "Disney Police" or "Gestapo".

Old 04-17-2007, 10:53 AM

I just got off a meeting with some poor soul who works for Disney, got hurt while Disney made this little old man carry heavy boxes while yelling at him like he was a dog. Witneses are reporting an even worse story than this little old guy himself! Disney has not paid this man for his injuries, fired him, threatened him, and treated him like an absolute animal. I don't think FL law would allow a dog to be treated like this man was by this horrendous company. I am horrified!

I am sorry this is too sickening. I cannot stand people who defend a company who is this evil to its workers! I cannot even stand looking at these poor people who worked hard for Disney and got treated worse than a dying dog hit by a car on the side of the road. I am disgusted.

I am going to go puke. I am nauseated by having to deal with companies like Disney and Walmart. I have a hard time figuring out which one is worse to their employees... Disney might be even worse than Walmart (if you believe that is possible).

Last edited by Jammie; 04-19-2007 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: quote was orphaned

Old 04-18-2007, 12:18 AM

30 posts, read 126,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Did you also do rape counseling, because people who live in the Disney apts in Lake Buena Vista get raped all the time and I am sure they'd need help after that.

Disney is a highly messed up company, I am serous. You have to be very desperate to get a job there... REALLY DESPERATE!
Blah, the rape stories are so fake. I spent 11 months at vista. For anyone now in the know, disney has a college program where you do border line slave labor for free admission, and a lack of parents. See, its a trade. Anyway, when people come down, they live at one of 3 apt complexes. Image an ENTIRE apt complex where people more in and out every 3-6 months. On top of that, no one knows anyone when they move in, everyone is 18-22ish, and for many, their first time away from home. Yeah, a LOT of parties are thrown, and a LOT of alcohol is drank. It is honestly like a non-stop version of spring break, but you have to go to work every now and then. The number of young girls out on their own for their first time, drunk and sleeps with someone. Yeah, from time to time some ***** wakes up embarrassed of what(or who) she did, and they call rape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchel View Post
ok about disney, lets just say if you are a server there you will make more than six dollars an hour,however you cant get full time.
To be honest, they make barely $3 an hour from disney.

Although, I know what you mean. Its the only job on property that doesn't full suck. You still have worthless management, stupid policies, etc, ETC but you can be part time and still make 40K. There are some servers on property that make nearly 100K, but those jobs are impossible to get. You have to have 20+ years already at disney, and then, those spots only become available when someone is no longer able to work due to health reasons.

Last edited by Jammie; 04-18-2007 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: edited words

Old 04-18-2007, 11:12 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,888 times
Just another guy - you seem to have it all right about the servers. Have you worked there before? I worked at Wide World of Sports during Spring Training one year (the year of John Rocker - I've got some great stories!). I worked with the catering department and the full time servers were making major money. One of them bought a house in Clermont with cash. When they needed additional help I would take phone calls from a hot-line and the part-timers would call. People would beg me to put them on the list of servers because the cash was just so good. The competition for these jobs are crazy - you have to know someone or like he said, been there a hundred years but to be a part-timer it was a lot easier but also a lot of competition for the same events. I heard no complaints from the servers I worked with - as you can imagine, they had their dream job and were very happy.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:22 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times
Nirvana Guy,

You made some awesome points. There will always be people out there that are sick with the ME syndrome, and if life is good for them, and they had a good experience, then EVERYONE has to have the same experience, or else THEY are the problem. There is no comprehension on their part, they just care that things went well for them and are totally clueless and could care less about what the majority actually goes through.

Unfortunately, this corporate culture of exploitation is not limited to Disney, it is a Florida hallmark. I agree, the mentality of sunshine wages has to end. It is 2007 and Florida is not a cheap swamp anymore where we can live on low wages. People mention how you can solve the problem with a college degree....but the truth is, Florida is run by the low wage workers, and they deserve a dignified job, existence and wages. They too have families to support. They need housing, healthcare and living wages.

It is very east to criticize the messenger instead of addressing the message. Especially when you are in an ivory tower. Let's hope some people will be less selfish and realize that life isn't all about them. Long shot, right? Well, the U.S. fought for independence...and now we have Disney. I am sure our forfathers would be proud.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:57 AM

Thumbs up This is one of the best ports on this thread so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Nirvana Guy,

You made some awesome points. There will always be people out there that are sick with the ME syndrome, and if life is good for them, and they had a good experience, then EVERYONE has to have the same experience, or else THEY are the problem. There is no comprehension on their part, they just care that things went well for them and are totally clueless and could care less about what the majority actually goes through.

Unfortunately, this corporate culture of exploitation is not limited to Disney, it is a Florida hallmark. I agree, the mentality of sunshine wages has to end. It is 2007 and Florida is not a cheap swamp anymore where we can live on low wages. People mention how you can solve the problem with a college degree....but the truth is, Florida is run by the low wage workers, and they deserve a dignified job, existence and wages. They too have families to support. They need housing, healthcare and living wages.

It is very east to criticize the messenger instead of addressing the message. Especially when you are in an ivory tower. Let's hope some people will be less selfish and realize that life isn't all about them. Long shot, right? Well, the U.S. fought for independence...and now we have Disney. I am sure our forfathers would be proud.
I had to give you a +1 here. THis is an awesome post, primarily because you pointed out the "don't shoot the messenger" issue. I am just trying to warn people about how bad Disney is as an employer.

I agree, Disney is not the ony slave driver company in Florida. Walmart is competing with Disney for the #1 spot as the worst employer. I am talking in terms of treating their employees, specially if they are hurt on the job. God forbit you get hurt while doing hard labor for Disney or Walmart. No matter what the dr says you can and cannot do, they will FORCE you to do even harder jobs. The companies will also FIGHT the worker every step of the way, sometimes witholding pay and medical benefits to employees for up to 6 months. It is disgraceful and there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for that!

Now people need to get a grip and understand: wages in FL have got to go up. Companies need some kind of encouragement to provide employees with health insurance again. I spend 5 years working for a couple different companies (Full time) and never once did I have health insurance. And I am not talking about working for Taco Bell!! I worked for a couple major corporations and 2 small firms! And I have a B.A.!!

Disney is even worse from my experience. They just not give employees benefits, but they also underpay them and treat them like dirt. The only people who get any money at Disney is the upper management, which really, is a big group of Ivy League college buddies. No regular person, even if they work for Disney for 40 years will EVER be on the Disney Board.

Disney also don't care if people have families and are injured on the job, they just fire them and hire some illegal alien off the street. People are completely disposable to Disney. Anything happens and Disney fires everyone and re-hire them (or others) again whenever they please. Easy come, easy go.

That is why I get so angry when I hear peope say "Disney is wonderful" while they are nothing more than a slave-driver corporation!! Disney's practices are despicable.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:45 PM

45 posts, read 219,107 times
The cost of living is going up every day. I hate my job but I still do it because I need money!!! Every tid bit counts to me. I think they should be glad they have a job and it brought business to there area to even have a job. It's hard tryig to find a job, it really is.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:48 PM

45 posts, read 219,107 times
Default I see where your coming from...

I understand you. That's Corporate America for you though. Sadly I beginning to think that's how the world works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
I had to give you a +1 here. THis is an awesome post, primarily because you pointed out the "don't shoot the messenger" issue. I am just trying to warn people about how bad Disney is as an employer.

I agree, Disney is not the ony slave driver company in Florida. Walmart is competing with Disney for the #1 spot as the worst employer. I am talking in terms of treating their employees, specially if they are hurt on the job. God forbit you get hurt while doing hard labor for Disney or Walmart. No matter what the dr says you can and cannot do, they will FORCE you to do even harder jobs. The companies will also FIGHT the worker every step of the way, sometimes witholding pay and medical benefits to employees for up to 6 months. It is disgraceful and there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for that!

Now people need to get a grip and understand: wages in FL have got to go up. Companies need some kind of encouragement to provide employees with health insurance again. I spend 5 years working for a couple different companies (Full time) and never once did I have health insurance. And I am not talking about working for Taco Bell!! I worked for a couple major corporations and 2 small firms! And I have a B.A.!!

Disney is even worse from my experience. They just not give employees benefits, but they also underpay them and treat them like dirt. The only people who get any money at Disney is the upper management, which really, is a big group of Ivy League college buddies. No regular person, even if they work for Disney for 40 years will EVER be on the Disney Board.

Disney also don't care if people have families and are injured on the job, they just fire them and hire some illegal alien off the street. People are completely disposable to Disney. Anything happens and Disney fires everyone and re-hire them (or others) again whenever they please. Easy come, easy go.

That is why I get so angry when I hear peope say "Disney is wonderful" while they are nothing more than a slave-driver corporation!! Disney's practices are despicable.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:32 PM

541 posts, read 1,994,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Your clearly not paying attention...the assessment of the psychiatric professionals was that Disney attracted people with psychiatric problems...not my assessent but theirs.
I think it is more like Disney attracts many creative people. Creative people are more sensitive to life in general! Hollywood anyone-lots of creative people and lots of problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando