U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:03 PM

25 posts, read 134,013 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have lived in the Orlando area (specifically Davenport/Four Corners area) for a little over 2 years now. Just recently I was pulled over on a rural part of 27 for going 69 in a 55 zone (of course try going 55 on 27 and you are risking your life). Luckily the cop wrote it down to 59 in a 55 zone so I did not have to pay as much (I have already taken the online driving school so there are no points) but an interesting situation came up in the process. The cop got on me for having a Florida license but having Kentucky plates. He said that I need to get to the DMV soon to register the car in Florida and get Florida plates, or I would be in violation.

The reason for the Kentucky plates is that is where I am originally from (before I moved to Florida) and my dad technically owns the car. My dad bought me the car as a graduation gift and even though I do pay for car insurance, I am still under my dad's family insurance plan. The car's insurance is obviously in Kentucky and the car is registered every year in Kentucky.

When I moved down to Florida, I immediately got a Florida Driver's License since I knew I was going to be living here for awhile. With that said, I had not even thought that having Kentucky tags would be an issue until now. I am thinking that since the car is technically my dad's and not mine, and he lives in Kentucky, I should be okay. Has anyone else had this issue before?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Last edited by Austin83; 04-23-2009 at 11:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 12:12 AM

76 posts, read 548,089 times
I have been in a similar situation for about 7 years. My car when I first moved here was registered in Texas, I paid for it but it was in my parents name since I bought it before I was 18. After that car died My girlfriends mother gave us a car she had, she lives in Pennsylvania and the car is registered there. I have also wondered how the legality of this all works out. I guess what it really comes down to is can you register a car in a state that you do not live in? To be honest I have always put this issue off because it really isn't a problem. With the heavy tourism in the area out of state license plates are about as common as Florida plates. I have always assumed if I got stopped and was questioned about it I would be honest, I am a Florida resident borrowing a car from someone out of state. There really is no way to track where cars are all the time, how would they go about proving that your car has been permanently moved out of it's registered state. Essentially this is no different than rental cars they get moved all over the place. With all that said I would still like to know, I would like to know how to go about making sure my situation is perfectly legal.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:21 AM

30 posts, read 136,401 times
I am also interested in hearing about this. I am going to be attending college in Florida and I plan to live there for good after college as well. The only problem is that I am from Ohio and I plan on keeping my Ohio license and plates until after college. My parents might switch the car over to my name, but would it be better to just keep it in their name at least until college is over, or until I get a Florida license and Florida plates?

Old 04-24-2009, 08:00 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,278,502 times
I think there is a time limit on how long you can keep an out-of-state vehicle if you have a FL address and official residency. I know Virginia used to be 45 days from the date of official residency or you could be ticketed. You might want to check the official website and see what it says.

I changed my insurance and plates over from Virginia to Florida as soon as I could mainly so I wouldn't have to pay personal property taxes on my Virginia registered car any longer than necessary.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNative View Post
I think there is a time limit on how long you can keep an out-of-state vehicle if you have a FL address and official residency. I know Virginia used to be 45 days from the date of official residency or you could be ticketed. You might want to check the official website and see what it says.

I changed my insurance and plates over from Virginia to Florida as soon as I could mainly so I wouldn't have to pay personal property taxes on my Virginia registered car any longer than necessary.
In this situation the owners of the vehicles do not have a FL address and official residency at all, let alone for 45 days.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:07 PM

30 posts, read 136,401 times

Quote:
In the state of Florida, a motor vehicle is required by law to be registered within ten days of the owner either becoming employed, placing children in public school, or establishing residency. Registering your motor vehicle goes hand in hand with the titling process.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxfan3 View Post
Taking everything on that site at face value, you would conclude that it is not required to register the vehicle in florida since the owner is out of state. I'm sure there is more to it though, it never really addresses this exact situation.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:25 PM

4,679 posts, read 7,800,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxfan3 View Post
I am also interested in hearing about this. I am going to be attending college in Florida and I plan to live there for good after college as well. The only problem is that I am from Ohio and I plan on keeping my Ohio license and plates until after college. My parents might switch the car over to my name, but would it be better to just keep it in their name at least until college is over, or until I get a Florida license and Florida plates?
You don't have to change license or tags if you're a college student but why would you not ? after 1 year of having a license and tags in Florida you would qualify for in-state tuition.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:43 PM

I'm wondering if the vehicle can even be registered should I decide to do it. Is it possible for the out of state owner to register their vehicle in a state they do not live in?

Old 04-24-2009, 05:05 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,278,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s8film40 View Post
Taking everything on that site at face value, you would conclude that it is not required to register the vehicle in florida since the owner is out of state. I'm sure there is more to it though, it never really addresses this exact situation.
I don't know...why don't you call the DMV and ask since this situation is apparently not covered in anything we can find? Or maybe ask the insurance agent...they might be able to help or at least give an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando