Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 08:10 AM

32 posts, read 238,859 times

Advertisements

Seriously considering a home in this neighborhood. Does anyone live here or close by and could give there thoughts on whether it is a good place to live? We are in our mid-20s, both work and do not have children yet. thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 10:50 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,388 times
I do not personally live in Lakes of Windermere but know the neighborhood is a great one. A little further away from access to major highways, but the neighborhood is well maintained, good ameneties, the homes have come down to some good prices, and it's better than Summerport in my opinion.

What other area's have you considered though? How's the proximity to your work?

Old 04-24-2009, 11:47 AM

32 posts, read 238,859 times
I work in downtown. We have been looking all over Orlando and are trying to find safe, good value for money.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:01 PM

22 posts, read 72,109 times
My husband and I are in a similar situation as the OP except we work from home so we don't need to worry about a commute. I would love to hear feedback on this neighborhood as well.

From everything I have seen and heard a lot of Summerport is a bit rundown due to the economy, is this community and others surrounding it like that as well?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 07-26-2010, 12:50 PM

331 posts, read 1,052,246 times
I live very close to there in Independence. I love the area in general, my only problem is that it takes forever to get anywhere. I am also in my mid-20's but am single, so I go downtown a alot and meet up with friends in east Orlando. The price of tolls and the distance was becoming too much for me to handle so I am moving when my lease is up. That said, the area itself is great, I rarely hear sirens, or noise from neighbors, and it is very safe. The traffic on 535 is a pain right now heading toward Winter Garden Village due to the widening of the road (2 to 4 lanes) but that is a temporary problem. IMO, it is a little bit off the beaten path, but an extremely nice area, that I think you would enjoy.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:57 PM

793 posts, read 2,524,718 times
Have shown and sold properties to buyers in this community and others throughout the area the latest being in Independence and Tildens Grove and true traffic was a problem but with the widening of Rt. 535 that should be a non issue.

Summerport like most all communities started in the '03, '04, '05 time frame are seeing their share of short sale and foreclosures. I just had a conversation with the community property management company and they aren't in trouble and are excited about the future due to the turning over of properties to new owners and recent law changes affecting HOA's. There are other phases to be built in the future that will keep this community active.

Bottom line I feel it's a great community as I do Independence around the corner.

Hope this helps,

Old 07-26-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehB33nz View Post
I live very close to there in Independence. I love the area in general, my only problem is that it takes forever to get anywhere. I am also in my mid-20's but am single, so I go downtown a alot and meet up with friends in east Orlando. The price of tolls and the distance was becoming too much for me to handle so I am moving when my lease is up. That said, the area itself is great, I rarely hear sirens, or noise from neighbors, and it is very safe. The traffic on 535 is a pain right now heading toward Winter Garden Village due to the widening of the road (2 to 4 lanes) but that is a temporary problem. IMO, it is a little bit off the beaten path, but an extremely nice area, that I think you would enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker Dave View Post
Have shown and sold properties to buyers in this community and others throughout the area the latest being in Independence and Tildens Grove and true traffic was a problem but with the widening of Rt. 535 that should be a non issue.

Summerport like most all communities started in the '03, '04, '05 time frame are seeing their share of short sale and foreclosures. I just had a conversation with the community property management company and they aren't in trouble and are excited about the future due to the turning over of properties to new owners and recent law changes affecting HOA's. There are other phases to be built in the future that will keep this community active.

Bottom line I feel it's a great community as I do Independence around the corner.

Hope this helps,

Thank you both for the quick response. The more and more we think about this area the more we think it's the right move for us. We just need to take another trip there to visit the communities and see some homes.

Our ideal situation would be to rent for a year to learn the area and figure out exactly which neighborhood we want to be in and then buy after that. As long as we are close to a grocery store and within 15 minutes of shopping and restaurants and golf then we are happy.

We both work from home so commuting isn't an issue but it's nice to have the shops and restaurants close by because working at home for 10+ hours a day will give you cabin fever.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:04 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
With the Lakes of Windermere, you are literally next door to a driving range facility called the Windermere Golf Center.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
With the Lakes of Windermere, you are literally next door to a driving range facility called the Windermere Golf Center.
Really? That is great! Hitting some balls during a lunch break is always a nice way to break up the day.

We really liked the Keene's Pointe golf course and the memberships, while pretty pricey, are more reasonable then we thought they would be. Lakes of Windermere seems to be pretty close to Keene's Pointe isn't it?

I am so grateful to everyone for your help. I wish I was able to spend more time there this weekend to get more familiar with the area but I definitely plan to go back very soon.

Last edited by Golfergal22; 07-26-2010 at 04:00 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 03:09 PM

793 posts, read 2,524,718 times
I understand the renting thought path but I'd be careful and watch those interest rates, how long will they stay this low?

You'll appreciate those lower monthly payment for years to come.

Hope this helps,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando