Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 05:38 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,570 times

Advertisements

The hurricane was in 1992, but it did take a few years to put all the regulations in place. I am not sure of when the first ones started, but I do know that some of the reputable builders went ahead and built with them before they were actually required to, so I can't really tell you a particular year. I would think by 2000, they were in place because mine is a 2000 model and I have the roof bracing, garage bracing, hip roof, etc that are beneficial in hurricanes. Lots to be careful of in older homes here. No one has mentioned termites, but that is also a concern. They have all year to chew here. A good insurance person could give you some good pointers in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2006, 06:31 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla
Dee2e-

How old is your house? We are looking into Lake Mary in Seminole County. That insurance rate you mentioned sounds fair and reasonable.

Thanks!
My home was built in 1978. [moderator CUT]

Last edited by Marka; 07-03-2006 at 11:12 PM..

Old 07-05-2006, 05:18 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,724 times
great article.........

Old 07-06-2006, 05:43 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk0171
I came across this and thought that potential out-of-state buyers may benefit reading this article from the Orlando Sentinal. Just cut and paste this link
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-forsale1906jun19,0,3658182.story?track=rss (broken link)

The article states how us Floridians can not be greedy when selling our home
and if we FINALLY give in and LOWER our prices (i went down on my home to $205,000 in Seminole County) then BINGO the homes WILL sell again. Like i have said time and time again, we can't be greedy!!!
Absolutely! Homes that are priced correctly are selling quick! Homes that are priced too high are sitting on the market for months.

I just showed a great home yesterday that's been on the market for 188 days. There has been no price adjustment, offers have been rejected that are lower than the listing price, and the house is in great shape. It's just overpriced. (by about 40K!) The agent is so frustrated with the owner and asked my advice. I suggested that she lay out the facts on the property regarding price, suggest a reduction, and if the owner doesn't take her advice that she drop the listing. When the owner sees that she is ready to walk away, he might just become more reasonable but, if not, at least she won't have to worry about it anymore.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:27 AM

4 posts, read 11,237 times
Hi all!
I have really enjoyed reading all of your posts! The good and the bad! I live in PA and love it here, however, I can't stand the bitter cold, loooong winters and tons of snow. This summer has done NOTHING but rain so far. I feel like I spend most of the year indoors and this really stinks since me and my family are totally outdoors people.

I just returned home from a 2 week trip to Florida. It was the best vacation I ever had! I LOVE Florida. I don't mind the heat, I love it, the hotter the better for me. I was stung by fire ants, both of my daughters we stung by jelly fish and I had some of the biggest, red, black & blue bug bites....but, it was worth it. My husband and I have been wanting to move to Florida for the past 10 years...and we always chicken out. I am so afraid to make a mistake. We stayed in Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area. Very BEAUTIFUL beaches...laid back...but, a little too many retired folk for us. Not very many kids around at all. Then, we went to the East coast for a week, Boynton Beach. Very beautiful also, this area is just like home. Lots of great stores, malls, places to eat! Houses are expensive though. Didn't find an area great enought to pick up and move. The most important factors to me are great schools and low crime. We were on the verge of having a house built in Pasco County, then I found out the schools weren't good, and the school my daughters would attend were a "C". So, that is a no go. I would LOVE to hear more about Seminole County. We are going to check out that area and Ft. Myers next.
Any advise/feedback (good or bad) is appreciated.
Thanks all and thanks for great threads!

Old 07-06-2006, 12:22 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times
I can't get the article to pull up. I'd like to read it but when I copy and paste the URL it says page not found...

Old 07-06-2006, 12:37 PM

128 posts, read 641,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie0623
Hi all!
I have really enjoyed reading all of your posts! The good and the bad! I live in PA and love it here, however, I can't stand the bitter cold, loooong winters and tons of snow. This summer has done NOTHING but rain so far. I feel like I spend most of the year indoors and this really stinks since me and my family are totally outdoors people.

I just returned home from a 2 week trip to Florida. It was the best vacation I ever had! I LOVE Florida. I don't mind the heat, I love it, the hotter the better for me. I was stung by fire ants, both of my daughters we stung by jelly fish and I had some of the biggest, red, black & blue bug bites....but, it was worth it. My husband and I have been wanting to move to Florida for the past 10 years...and we always chicken out. I am so afraid to make a mistake. We stayed in Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area. Very BEAUTIFUL beaches...laid back...but, a little too many retired folk for us. Not very many kids around at all. Then, we went to the East coast for a week, Boynton Beach. Very beautiful also, this area is just like home. Lots of great stores, malls, places to eat! Houses are expensive though. Didn't find an area great enought to pick up and move. The most important factors to me are great schools and low crime. We were on the verge of having a house built in Pasco County, then I found out the schools weren't good, and the school my daughters would attend were a "C". So, that is a no go. I would LOVE to hear more about Seminole County. We are going to check out that area and Ft. Myers next.

If schools are your priority in Seminole County, you can not go wrong with Wekiva Elem., Teague Middle or Rock Lake Middle, and Brantley High are top notch. Sabal Elem. is also a great school....all are "A" schools and my children have attended Wekiva, Teague and Lk. Brantley....all SUPER schools with TONS of parental involvement. The only draw back is that the homes around here were pretty much built in the 70's or 80's and are kind of pricey. There are just a handful of neighborhoods that are newer but expect to pay at least $400,000 for those homes. I am sad we are leaving these schools and heading towards NC, but i am not complaining,.....it's just time for a change for us....we are "taking the plunge" and so should you! All the best to you and your family Katie!

Old 07-06-2006, 09:02 PM

34 posts, read 124,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie0623
Hi all!

I too was looking to move to florida and checked out the Melbourne area - looks very affordable for housing and the schools checked out very good on greatschools.net - not sure about housing insurance - that's what's holding me back. My husband just turned down a job in the Fort Myers area because of the insurance rares. Not sure how the rates are in the Melbourne area - We may have to wait for 2 years for my son to graduate high school so we don't have to worry about the school system. But if you do want the Fort Myers area - The high school I checked out that was rated very good was Lemon Bay. Good Luck

Last edited by nRitzy; 07-06-2006 at 09:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando