Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 08:31 AM

266 posts, read 1,161,684 times

Advertisements

I'm with Pianogal - Arden Villas was a very nice (but not fancy) place to live. I had a 2 BR apt on ground floor - access was good - security was a plus. Assigned parking spots made access to the building convinient and seemed to discourage some of the major party crowd that might bring undesirable elements/situations to the complex. The weight room wasn't all that, but the pool was great!

If you're there, you'll find easy access to UCF, plenty of restuarants within walking distance, convenient shopping and - from my perspective - very friendly people. While there, I met several UCF students, but even more young couples who were just getting their start in the area.

The one con (aside from the fact that it's an apt, not a house) was that making a left hand turn onto University Blvd from the complex entrance was sometimes a little tricky. It's 6 lanes at that point, with a "suicide lane" in the center. Many times I had to turn left, go to the center lane, then wait for traffic to clear before continuing. But that's something that's necessary just about anywhere there's enough traffic to require a multi lane highway.

Good luck w/UCF - my son is currently a student there - really enjoys it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 10:00 AM

13 posts, read 32,528 times
Hi all, sorry I wasn't trying to bash Arden Villas really, but it HAS really changed a lot in the past few years. I just happened to be over there last week to drop off some fliers and it was pretty yucky. I know for a fact it is almost entirely student-populated now. I think that for the same $ or maybe a little more, you can get a much nicer place-even on University Blvd(I think Heather Glen is the name of one of them-?). But anyway, it is just one suggestion out of many that I gave, so the original poster can take it or leave it. Just trying to be helpful =)

Old 04-21-2007, 10:55 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrflyjack View Post
Hi all, sorry I wasn't trying to bash Arden Villas really, but it HAS really changed a lot in the past few years. I just happened to be over there last week to drop off some fliers and it was pretty yucky. I know for a fact it is almost entirely student-populated now. I think that for the same $ or maybe a little more, you can get a much nicer place-even on University Blvd(I think Heather Glen is the name of one of them-?). But anyway, it is just one suggestion out of many that I gave, so the original poster can take it or leave it. Just trying to be helpful =)

No problem, Jack. As I mentioned, I lived there in 2004 - things could have easily changed since then....and I do agree with you. I like the Waterford Lakes area much better.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:37 PM

13 posts, read 32,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrflyjack View Post
First of all, UCF is a great school, I transferred down here from Temple in Philly, finished up my B.A., and now almost done with my M.A...So, basically, I'm saying you can trust that I know what I'm talking about. =) In terms of apartment, you really have 3 basic areas to choose from depending on what you want.
Waterford Lakes area (The Fountains, Victoria Place, Cypress Lakes, and Ashton are all nice)
Pros- This area has a very FLORIDA feel to it. Everything is new and pretty and green and palm trees. There is a huge shopping area with just about everything you could possibly want, from clothes to groceries, plus tons of restaurants. I really, HIGHLY reccomend Waterford for newcomers, because it is the essence of what FL living is all about, which is what most people move here for in the first place. It is a little bit further from campus than Oviedo, but definitely worth it. Believe it or not, you probably won't be on campus as much as you think. A lot of students live in the apt. complexes I mentioned above, also young professional and families. It's definitely a more classy neighborhood than the ones closer to the school.

Cons- Traffic can get bad at times because it's such a busy area, but it's nothing horrendous. During rush-hour traffic, it still will only take you 15 minuted to get to school. Believe, me, I have done it every day for 3 years. If you are totally anti-traffic then Oviedo is the place for you. Also, I don't know what your price range is but Waterford is going to be a bit more expensive than the two areas I'm about to describe. You will probably pay around $850 (or more) for a 1 BR at The Fountains, which really is the best one...very very nice-I have a lot of friends who live there and they love it.

University Blvd.
Pros- this is really close to campus. There isn't really shopping around, but strip malls, nail salons, and chain restaurants abound. Not very Florida-feeling at all, but it's still nice. Definitely almost entirely student populated. There are a few nice apt. complexes on University Blvd that you can check out, but I would stay away from Arden Villas (mentioned by someone above). This complex is trashy-it's NOT nice- is mostly very young students. Someone in a previous post mentioned families in Arden Villas and, well, not to sound rude but think about the types of families who would be living in a cheap student housing community...

Cons- Again, traffic, but not too bad. This area definitely does not have the fun, "tropical" feel like Waterford area. Nothing unique about it at all. It is kind of dingy really, but NOT BY ANY MEANS a bad or dangerous area like that other poster had said. That is simply ridiculous.

Oviedo

Pros- Close to campus, far less traffic, peaceful and quiet. Traditions is really nice but for the 1BR price they have listed online (950-1000) you could have something just as nice in Waterford, which is a much better area. There are only 2 other apartment complexes in Oviedo close to UCF and they are really crappy.

Cons- Nothing-and I mean absolutely-nothing to do. It is an older, well-established community with only grocery stores, take-out places, and a couple of strip malls. I lived there for two years because I was craving peace and quiet, but really, I would reccomend another area of townfor newcomers.

OK, well I hope this was helpful. I wish someone had given me a bunch of this info before I moved down from Philly =). Basically, the bottom line is this- you are moving from New Jersey to Florida. It is a completely different world and I suggest that you live somewhere that you can really experience it. Don't choose an apartment just becuase it's a little closer to school or a little cheaper or whatever. To make the most of this opportunity I think you should really try to find a place in Waterford Lakes. Look up the apartment complexes I mentioned above; I'm sure you can find something affordable. On a negative note, coming from the Northeast I can tell you that absolutely nothing can prepare you for the heat and humidity that we deal with 5 or 6 months a year. July, August, and September are ruly almost unbearable. The best advice I can give is to live in an area where at least the scenery is pretty- then it kind of feels a little more like vacation and less like hell. I can't imagine living in a dingy neighborhood here, especially in the summer-it would be downright depressing-YUCK. You want palm trees, a nice pool, and cool neighbors to hang out with. Good Luck!!!
Btrflyjack (fell free to pm me)

Old 04-27-2007, 04:47 PM

21 posts, read 128,439 times
Smile thanx been there.

Our input is very helpful. My family and I are heading to Oviedo by September coming. We are very exited. Oviedo is our choice (live oak reserve). It is quite pricey but we like the community very much. It fits our children's need. Stay safe everyone and be a bit positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
Nirvana - your rants are becoming very offensive. No matter what poster you reply to ... you say the same old negative things. How do you know this person going to UCF has money or not? Not all of us are broke. As well, not all of us move to FL and work low for low wages. You generalize way too much in your postings. I feel bad for the people who come on these boards looking for information, and for us posters who try to help others with information specific to our locations.

Your two mile radious statement is absolutely rediculous. I work in the UCF area and venture out for lunch and dinners all the time. You'd be better suited to relay information to people who live and work in the area that you are from... where ever that is... I asked before and you never replied. I get the sneaking suspicision you do not live in E. Orlando or the UCF area yet you seem to be an authority on our communities.

The bottom line here is that people are coming to these boards for a little information because they ARE moving here. All you do is tell them to stay away and how awful it is. I feel sorry that you have such a bad life here, but can't you just realize not everyone is in your same boat? I know you like Texas and all but believe me, I have family there and it's no different than life in Orlando. If you think otherwise, you are severly misinformed. Actually go to ANY major city board on this website and you will find posters saying the same old negative stuff as you. Why not think about the positives in life and stop dwelling on the negatives? Yes, it's good to be aware that crime happens and it's only common sense most people stay away from bad areas unless that is all they can afford.

I'm sure I'll get more negativety back from you but I've been holding back for a long while now.... as I'm sure others have done. Just thought I'd make the suggestion to lighten it up a little bit, would ya? Try to help instead of doom and gloom unless that is your mission on these boards.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:55 PM

21 posts, read 128,439 times
Default good post been.

My husband is a psychiatrist and we are from NY. We are moving very soon to Oviedo fl. We really need to read more positive post like this. If you all think negative about Florida come to NY. I live in New City NY. Supposedly one of the safest City in the US. Two towns in one. We have some crimes too. Drugs in the high schools starting even in junior high. They won't talk about it because of internal reasons. Every place has its own trash can. Be there for your children, educate them well, they'll know what to avoid and what to bring home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
I would suggest going to rent.com or apartments. com and plug in Waterford Lakes. Our zip code is 32828. We are about 3 miles south of UCF (close to the campus yet far enough away from the undergrads.) There are plenty of nice apartment complexes in the area as well as shopping galore. There are a few nice places right close to the Waterford Lakes Town Center. Go to simon.com and pull up Waterford Lakes Town Center and you'll see part of what our area has to offer by way of shopping/restaurants/movies. There is also a completely new shopping area across the street from the town center that has new shops and restaurants. If you want a little bit of a slower pace, I work across the street from UCF and many of the people who work here live in Oviedo and Winter Springs. I'm not sure how many apartments are in these communities, but I'm sure there are some.

Word of advice if you are new to these boards, there is a lot of negativity from many individuals. They seem to live in bad areas and want others to experience and agree to their negative point of view. Many of us are professionals who work in great companies and live in nice communities. Their vantage point is quite different from ours and it is certainly easy to understand the frustration. There are good and bad areas in any city as large as Orlando and the surrounding area. You have to be smart, do your homework no matter where you move. I've been here from the NE also for almost 3 yrs. Yes, crime has increased in Orlando.... not so much in my world. There is crime everywhere so you can't escape today's reality. Just be smart and aware but don't live your life in fear unless you live in bad areas. Waterford Lakes, Oviedo and Winter Springs are great area to at least get your feet wet in Central Florida.

Good luck!

Old 04-27-2007, 05:21 PM

131 posts, read 577,895 times
Default We lived in Waterford Lakes East in 2001

Loved the apartment for that style living until we bought our house...
It was on Island Bay Drive. It was at the time 1k per month for 3 bedroom but that was 01'. I only had one problem and that was we got ants and it took a week to get rid of.. their sense of urgency was not like mine.

They felt like condos. They were still being built when we moved in. They were nice at the time we lived there.

http://www.ced-concord.com/index.cfm...local2&id=2084

Old 06-03-2008, 08:24 PM

3 posts, read 12,720 times
Try Oviedo. It's close to UCF, but the communities maybe more what your looking for.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:20 PM

346 posts, read 1,341,120 times
Oviedo is a good area, you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando