Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:03 PM

10 posts, read 25,381 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am wanting to move my family to Florida. Im considering Orlando,but Im concerned about crime,traffic and the humidity. I recently became disabled from a near fatal fall back in last year. So I am in a wheelchair now. My concern is how the humidity will affect me. Can anyone help me with telling me a nice temperate place to live in Florida. Close to shopping,businesses. I have this condition where I sweat alot unless I have a good breeze,or fan on me since the accident. Where is a nice,safe beautiful place to live where I can have a nice breeze to cool my face? Also,where Im close to things to do. Thank you soo much....Lee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 06:20 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,643,141 times
The more north you go in FL, the less tropical it is. So you could try north fl. The humidity isn't THAT bad though, it only gets extreme in the summer months, like late may to late september. Just spend more time indoors during those months (which is what most people do anyways, wheel chair or not). Orlando has a lot of great communities for families.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:37 PM

GLS2010,
Thank you for your reply. I know the heat is going to affect me. Its odd,Im a T4 complete.That means I have full use of my arms,but cant move anything below that. Im 36 and have always been very athletic. Im hoping to get into some wheelchair basketball. I done some research and seen Orlando has something there. Thats why I mentioned Orlando as a option. As for right now the front runner. Im here in St.Louis,and just ready for some palm trees and Ocean breeze. Now I been there to Daytona beach when I was like 21 and the humidity didnt affect me at all. But now Im older and in a chair. So my question...how really bad is this humidity everyone gripes about...? Is it that unbearable? Is it nice in the evenings? Any suggestion for a place to live? Im coming down with my girlfriend in the beginning of June to look at houses. Im just trying to get a location lined up. When you mentioned communities, what did you mean for families? Thank you, and I look forward to your reply..Lee

Old 04-27-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
The more north you go in FL, the less tropical it is. So you could try north fl. The humidity isn't THAT bad though, it only gets extreme in the summer months, like late may to late september. Just spend more time indoors during those months (which is what most people do anyways, wheel chair or not). Orlando has a lot of great communities for families.
Thank you for your reply. I know the heat is going to affect me. Its odd,Im a T4 complete.That means I have full use of my arms,but cant move anything below that. Im 36 and have always been very athletic. Im hoping to get into some wheelchair basketball. I done some research and seen Orlando has something there. Thats why I mentioned Orlando as a option. As for right now the front runner. Im here in St.Louis,and just ready for some palm trees and Ocean breeze. Now I been there to Daytona beach when I was like 21 and the humidity didnt affect me at all. But now Im older and in a chair. So my question...how really bad is this humidity everyone gripes about...? Is it that unbearable? Is it nice in the evenings? Any suggestion for a place to live? Im coming down with my girlfriend in the beginning of June to look at houses. Im just trying to get a location lined up. When you mentioned communities, what did you mean for families? Thank you, and I look forward to your reply..Lee

Old 04-27-2009, 06:40 PM

Old 04-28-2009, 07:16 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,117,597 times
Orlando may have more breeze in the summer than MO, but not nearly as much breeze as places in Florida along the eastern coast. Daytona itself is kind of a trashy little town, but the areas north and south of there are nice. Try Ormond Beach, Port Orange, New Smyrna, Palm Coast, St Augustine, Ponte Vedra, Vero Beach, south Florida. The Gulf coast is nice as well but there is less current on the gulf side in the summer so there is less breeze and sometimes if there is breeze, it is hot air like breath coming off the gulf.
Orlando is great, do not get me wrong, I live here, but the humidity is often complained about as stifling and there are plenty of palm trees but not a whole lot of breeze in the hottest months.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:54 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,813,124 times
I do'nt think Orlando is going to get you much of a breeze.

You'd probably want to be closer to the ocean. There is usually a breeze in the hills in Lake County as well.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:01 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,643,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyguy337 View Post

The humidity does get a little unbearable in the summer, some people like more than others, it just depends on how you are. I hate the humidity here, you cant check your mail without sweating. But i think 3 months of bad humidity is worth 9 months of beautiful weather . and when i mentioned good communities for families i meant that there are a lot of safe, family oriented, good schooled communities for families in the area, that are convenient to attractions, such as beaches and theme parks.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:31 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,289,527 times
The humidity here can be overbearing during it's peak in the summer. There is not much of a breeze like the coastal cities, but of course the trade off is Orlando has more to do and, this is straight guess, because of it's size, any restrictions due to your wheelchair may be lessened here due to more accessibility in city that caters to visitors. That being said, there is a cooling off at night here, even during the summers. It generally begins to get bearable again around 8 p.m. when the hottest days are here. Don't get me wrong, there days, sometimes weeks, when we go with no relief, 90's in the daytime low 80's at night. But generally it's not that bad and more importantly, you really don't spend that much time outside the AC during the steamy days. You basically go from one air conditioned environment to another.

Annerk brings up a good point also. Some of the western communities that are hilly do get breezes. Also most communities here are well shaded, except for the newer communities where the trees haven't matured yet. But alot of places here are shaded in big oak trees. Try looking in some of the western suburbs. Clermont, Mount Dora, Eustis, parts of Apopka.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:13 PM

7 posts, read 21,498 times
The humidity can be very overbearing in the summer months. (This coming from a healthy 23 year old). Also Orlando's crime rate is very high. (This is the reason we are moving our family out of Orlando). Palm Coast is a really nice place to live, it's great for families and it is cooler there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando