U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:27 PM

15,966 posts, read 17,699,871 times

Advertisements

Wilshire- we have lived all over the country, mainly out west and I agree with you that manners and basic civility seem to be thing of the past throughout the country.

I was recently on Southwest Airlines flight and sitting in the next to last row. I ordered a Heinken and as I went to pay the flight attendant said" the beer is on me". She said I was only the second person she had served who said please and thank you.

You really can't use Las Vegas as a benchmark, people are visiting from all over the world.

I don't know if they are better mannered in Colorado but they do have the lowest rate of obesity in the US.

Can't say that about Florida, where you can't go anywhere and see tons (no pun intended) of very overweight people.

But I think people who take better care of themselves are educated are less likely to be throwing trash( especially fast food wrappers) out the car window.

Micktooth has a point, Fl has a high rate of drunk and reckless driving, and also many who drive with no car insurance. When people try and say "it happens everywhere", well not to the extent that it happens here, due to lax laws in regard to driving safety.

I have seen a lot of things occur here that don't happen other places so often.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:33 PM

478 posts, read 1,120,767 times
^^^ FL attracts criminals and transients. Look at my location ... it reads "the last refuge of the scoundrel" (that saying is talking about FL).

Old 04-29-2009, 07:22 PM

4,187 posts, read 9,554,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
Yes, but you still dont expect ANYONE to be shot/killed/stabbed in the Waterford Lakes area or Avalon Pk area. One of the guys that got shot and killed was a teenager living in the Avalon Reserve apartments, which are Section 8. But I know of a guy who got shot in the neck, and then a couple weeks ago, the guy in Waterford that got stabbed and killed by a black male at a house party. Drugs were involved, but still, you dont expect this in an areas like Waterford or Avalon. Let me put it this way, I used to live in Asheville NC, and if you lived in a neighborhood where houses were $250k - 1M, you certainly wouldnt have to worry about the things you have to worry about in the Waterford/Avalon areas. But again, this kind of goes back to what ngrome said and the mentality of some of the people that have moved to Orlando and areas I mentioned. Even though we live in a nice area, there is still that "ghetto" mentality out there.
Well the violent crime in our area isn't consistent like it is in the ghettos. its just out of the blue, similar crimes like that have also occurred in places like oveido (which was listed as one of the best places to live in the US). But i do see your point. and i agree with ngrome about how parents are doing a horrible job at educating there kids. I hate seeing vandalism in such nice areas, some kids have no respect.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:43 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,205,878 times
I agree with the OP's basic point; in my experience though the blame goes across the board. I have seen this behavior spread out among all ethnic groups.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:26 AM

801 posts, read 1,715,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Well the violent crime in our area isn't consistent like it is in the ghettos. its just out of the blue, similar crimes like that have also occurred in places like oveido (which was listed as one of the best places to live in the US). But i do see your point. and i agree with ngrome about how parents are doing a horrible job at educating there kids. I hate seeing vandalism in such nice areas, some kids have no respect.
Thank you for seeing my point. But remember I started this thread because I saw a parent act irresponsibly and then saw the child follow that parent. We have a lot of young, irresponsible and selfish parents these days, certainly not the way I was raised. And I only mentioned one ethnicity because it just so happens there's a large number of this group here in Orlando, and therefore I see such behavior more often from this group then others. It's just the way it is, and as I said before, I call it as I see it here.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:51 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,205,878 times
Respect, and I call it as I see it.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:03 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,670,205 times
This thread has gotten too far off track for here so, as warned, it is now closed. Feel free to bring up these points in our Immigration or Politics and other Controversies Forums however it is not appropriate for this forum. Thank you and feel free to look at our Terms of Service (link below) if you have any questions about why this was done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando