U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 04:00 PM

801 posts, read 1,718,017 times

Advertisements

This thread may not last long, but I want to preface that I'm not bigoted either. I'm a minority with Hispanic and Asian roots, more on the Asian side. But what gets me, especially here in Orlando, is that certain people within groups such as Puerto Ricans carry themselves with an entitlement attitude, and seem to have no care for the environment.

Driving is one example, but I literally see it in my front yard, when they are waiting for the bus in the morning, I see a Hispanic mom eating some breakfast with her kid in the car and when she's done, she literally leaves the garbage outside of the car and onto my yard. And guess what? Her daughter sees that too and she does the same on the other side of the car. Literally littering the grounds, and of all things, my front yard! I can't say a thing in fear of starting a neighborhood war, because almost a third of my neighbors are now Hispanic.

So, can other races do the same thing? Of course, there are probably other ethnic origins who are guilty of the same, but I am just basing it on what I see here in metro Orlando. I see people leaving things out of their car or dumping them, I pull up and see what kind of people these are and they seem to be of Latin ethnicity. I see people driving crazy on the roads, I pull up at a stop light and guess what they are?

And you wonder why I don't like Orlando, it's because I see too many member of this particular ethnicity driving around with no regard for safety, no regard for the environment, some sense of entitlement, rudeness, and attitude. Call me racist or bigoted, but I call it as I see it.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:06 PM

1,988 posts, read 6,010,675 times
I do not think it has to do with ethnicity at all but the class of people you live around. Are you on the east side of town?

Old 04-28-2009, 04:19 PM

478 posts, read 1,121,485 times
I agree ngrome. I live in the Waterford Lakes/Avalon Pk area, and I can totally understnd what you are saying and I see it too. I see the SAME people doing the SAME thing all the time. Driving crazy, starting trouble, breaking into cars. I saw a person exactly like you mentioned throw a water bottle out of the window on Avalon Pk Boulevard, and I have seen an entire family (with NJ plate, but you know they just moved to Orlando, just havent gotten a FL tag yet) dump 3 bags of McDonalds trash right at the entry to a nice subdivision. They dumped it, and just kept on driving. It is ridiculous.

People can call it what they want, "class" "ethnicity", whatever... I see it a lot and it is USUALLY the same people ngrome is talking about. I jut call it like I see it, nothing racist about it. If I didnt see it, I wouldnt be backing ngrome up on this one, but it is pretty clear, atleast where I live and in many Orlando areas.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:26 PM

1,988 posts, read 6,010,675 times
Again, the east side. If all of Orlando was just like East Orlando I would probably not like it here very much either.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:08 PM

478 posts, read 1,121,485 times
Due to the crime of the west side of Orlando, I guess you are speaking about the Downtown area? I see it in Alt. Springs too, Lake Mary, etc... I dont see it in Oviedo or Winter Springs. I think it gets worse as you travel south towards South Orlando, and on down towards Osceola Cty.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:43 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,212,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
I agree ngrome. I live in the Waterford Lakes/Avalon Pk area, and I can totally understand what you are saying and I see it too. I see the SAME people doing the SAME thing all the time. Driving crazy, starting trouble, breaking into cars. I saw a person exactly like you mentioned throw a water bottle out of the window on Avalon Pk Boulevard, and I have seen an entire family (with NJ plate, but you know they just moved to Orlando, just haven't gotten a FL tag yet) dump 3 bags of McDonalds trash right at the entry to a nice subdivision. They dumped it, and just kept on driving. It is ridiculous.

People can call it what they want, "class" "ethnicity", whatever... I see it a lot and it is USUALLY the same people ngrome is talking about. I jut call it like I see it, nothing racist about it. If I didn't see it, I wouldn't be backing ngrome up on this one, but it is pretty clear, atleast where I live and in many Orlando areas.
The thing about this type of thinking is that it starts to unconsciously (or consciously) color your thinking about a certain group of people. Now when you look at ( Hispanic folk in this case) your thinking will be biased into seeing all of them as not caring about their surroundings.
The fact that you happen to see this more from one group than another to me is purely incidental.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 PM

4,187 posts, read 9,569,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
Again, the east side. If all of Orlando was just like East Orlando I would probably not like it here very much either.
its not JUST in the east side, and all of east orlando/ orange county isnt like that. I live in waterford lakes, its not THAT bad, i think its way worse in south orange county and the kissismee areas...

Old 04-28-2009, 08:10 PM

801 posts, read 1,718,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
The thing about this type of thinking is that it starts to unconsciously (or consciously) color your thinking about a certain group of people. Now when you look at ( Hispanic folk in this case) your thinking will be biased into seeing all of them as not caring about their surroundings.
The fact that you happen to see this more from one group than another to me is purely incidental.
Well, that's the politically collect response. But note that I'm not saying all Hispanics are like that, what I'm saying is when I do see problems or trouble, it is usually a Hispanic involved. There's a difference.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:31 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,212,340 times
Then why is it neccessary to bring up ethnicity at all? What's the point?

Old 04-28-2009, 08:37 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,674,391 times
This thread is alright for now. Please remember to not engage in name calling or flaming or getting off topic or this thread will be closed and infractions given. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando