U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:22 AM

141 posts, read 409,247 times

Advertisements

We will either be relocating to Orlando or Tampa, and are wondering which would be a better fit for us. We are familiar with Orlando (lived there 10 years ago - before having kids - and visited recently). We don't know much at all about Tampa.

We like Orlando, but are wondering if Tampa is more of a place to put down roots and raise a family. We are not really "city people" - we enjoy the outdoors (canoeing, beach, biking, etc). Just want a nice, safe neighborhood, friendly people (we will probably rent first, but a house would be in the $350 range).

Can anyone give me insight into the "feel" of Tampa vs. Orlando? How do the beaches there compare to the east coast? Is the weather any different? Is it better for families? Any other opinions or insight would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 10:21 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,490,383 times
Tampa area: prettier beaches but tiny waves, limited sea breeze unless you are right on the beach, so it gets hotter there. Orlando: no beaches, you have to drive to Cocoa or Daytona. Crime is worse in Orlando, but Tampa has crime problems too. Higher HOI in Tampa area. Bad traffic in both places. Orlando centrally located, you can get almost anywhere in Fla. for a day trip. Tampa out in the middle of nowhere.

In Orlando you would like Seminole county. In Tampa, Pasco county (watch out for sinkholes though), or maybe some parts of Hillsborough. Of course it all depends on your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ang08 View Post
We will either be relocating to Orlando or Tampa, and are wondering which would be a better fit for us. We are familiar with Orlando (lived there 10 years ago - before having kids - and visited recently). We don't know much at all about Tampa.

We like Orlando, but are wondering if Tampa is more of a place to put down roots and raise a family. We are not really "city people" - we enjoy the outdoors (canoeing, beach, biking, etc). Just want a nice, safe neighborhood, friendly people (we will probably rent first, but a house would be in the $350 range).

Can anyone give me insight into the "feel" of Tampa vs. Orlando? How do the beaches there compare to the east coast? Is the weather any different? Is it better for families? Any other opinions or insight would be appreciated.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:49 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,605,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Tampa area: prettier beaches but tiny waves, limited sea breeze unless you are right on the beach, so it gets hotter there. Orlando: no beaches, you have to drive to Cocoa or Daytona. Crime is worse in Orlando, but Tampa has crime problems too. Higher HOI in Tampa area. Bad traffic in both places. Orlando centrally located, you can get almost anywhere in Fla. for a day trip. Tampa out in the middle of nowhere.

In Orlando you would like Seminole county. In Tampa, Pasco county (watch out for sinkholes though), or maybe some parts of Hillsborough. Of course it all depends on your budget.
Tampa is certainly not in the Middle of nowhere. The Tampa area has a larger population than Orlando. And Its diffenetly hotter in Orlando considerind its so far inland and Tampa is on the water.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:43 PM

26,582 posts, read 50,161,325 times
I'd see where you'd be able to find a job before worrying about which place to live.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:17 PM

1,988 posts, read 6,003,617 times
I like both cities a lot, but I prefer Orlando for several reasons. I think there is more entertainment, better dining, better shopping, it is cleaner, and the homes you could find in the $350k range would be in a nicer area in Orlando than Tampa. There is a lot of opportunity and exposure in Orlando so we are usually one of the first places in Florida to get high end chains, new stores, and different types of attractions. It is a pretty exciting place to live.

Tampa however has several advantages as well. It is closer to the beach, has better sports venues and sports atmosphere, has more of a grid lay out and is more like a traditional city. It seems to have a more diversified economy and less crime by a small margin. Crime is high in all of Florida's cities and I know Orlando has better years and worse years so it is all relevant. Especially when you can afford to find a safe, affluent area to buy into. Tampa also has the whole Ybor City area and South Tampa that are older and more historical.

Either one you select, you can always change your mind and move to the other since they are 90 minutes or so apart. A lot of the outskirt areas of both cities are very nice too like Sarasota, Hernando County, Lake County, Polk County, etc.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:38 PM

Unless you're going down the west coast beaches, or here to Orlando on I4, it's poorly connected to the rest of the state. But we can go anywhere from here in Orlando.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Tampa is certainly not in the Middle of nowhere. The Tampa area has a larger population than Orlando. And Its diffenetly hotter in Orlando considerind its so far inland and Tampa is on the water.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Unless you're going down the west coast beaches, or here to Orlando on I4, it's poorly connected to the rest of the state. But we can go anywhere from here in Orlando.
I agree. Most cities are pretty well connected in Florida, but the one awkward route is Tampa to Miami. The Everglades it in the way so it is not the best connection. Orlando is more convenient in that regard.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:12 PM

They should have a real highway instead of Rte. 60 going over to the Fla. Turnpike and I95. But that would mean destroying more of the Fla. environment. So a better solution is just not to live in Tampa, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
I agree. Most cities are pretty well connected in Florida, but the one awkward route is Tampa to Miami. The Everglades it in the way so it is not the best connection. Orlando is more convenient in that regard.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:38 PM

I don't think it makes Tampa a bad place to live, but it is good to point it out.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:15 PM

141 posts, read 409,247 times
Thanks - I hadn't thought about Tampa being out of the way. Sounds like Orlando would be most convenient. We are self employed from home so that's not an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando