U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:31 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,203,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
There are parts of Sanford, Longwood Winter Springs, and Casselberry that may work for you. You'll want to live near 17/92 where the bus runs. You'll just have to be picky about it. You can also ride a bike to the bus. A three bedroom home in those areas will run you about $850 on up. Did you want an apartment, duplex or a house? I'd try to stay in those areas which are Seminole County and have the best schools. For the work you do, there is a huge flea market in Sanford, I think that would be a great place to start a business. I thought they would have shoe repair there, but they don't. Good luck!
If you are coming from a big city like London or NYC etc and think you are going to get around as efficiently with mass transit as you do in those cities you are in for a rude awakening. Like Movedfromfl said, many places will not even hire you without a car. I used to have to wait for the 39 (if I remember correctly) on 17-92 in Fern Park and it was nightmare You need a car.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:49 AM

88 posts, read 264,809 times
Unlike just about everyone else, i'm not going to try and discourage you from moving here. You only live once, and if this is your dream, then have at it. If you are hardworking, responsible, and diligent, you'll find work soon enough. No matter what the unemployment rate is, there will always be a shortage of people with a work ethic.

I do encourage you to make the move with your eyes wide open, though. Everything said about our transit system is true....it is likely far below what you are used to with regards to efficiency and quality.

As far as safe places to live, there is a wealth of knowledge on this board in that regard. Several threads are available with very detailed lists of "good" and "bad" zip codes which you will find helpful.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-05-2009, 06:16 AM

26,582 posts, read 50,126,546 times
Moving here if you are young and single with no responsibilities is one thing. Moving here from another country with kids in tow and no employment experience that you'll easily find a job, let alone a job that pays a living wage is another. Once you have kids you need tos et your dreams aside and be realisitic in order to provide for them. End of story.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:42 AM

429 posts, read 897,190 times
I really find it amazing the people on these boards and how discouraging they need to be. I feel like its fear mongering, its like watching the new right now about Swine Flu. Silent1900 and a couple others are the only posters here who are realistic, they realized their decision or only point to discourage someone, but gave advice to do the move with their eyes open, and useful info which you'd hope they do.

Threads like these give this entire Orlando board a bad name for anyone looking to move here. Everyone in Orlando complains about the people in Orlando, once again i'll say it....pot..meet kettle...things like this don't give ANYONE there a good name.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:54 AM

I don't discourage people from coming here--not at all. I discourage people from coming here that don't have a job lined up or significant assets to live off of. I discourage people who come here to follow a dream because they spent a week here on vacation and liked it, or because they want warmer weather, or any other number of reasons.

This poster works in trades that will require a drivers license around here. He doesn't have one. So how does he plan on getting to work. Tell his boss that he'll take three buses then ride his bike six miles to get from his home to his job site--which will probably change each day? Not likely. Those jobs also don't pay all that well--certainly not enough to support a family of four in this area. He is unrealistic, end of story.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:44 AM

790 posts, read 1,365,391 times
You might like it here but make sure the job is lined up first obviously. The unemployment numbers throughout the country are much higher than is reported as our government is trying to paint a rosy picture. Its much closer to 15% nationwide.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:50 AM

429 posts, read 897,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
You might like it here but make sure the job is lined up first obviously. The unemployment numbers throughout the country are much higher than is reported as our government is trying to paint a rosy picture. Its much closer to 15% nationwide.

i'm not from there, i am going to eventually move there, but people make it sound like Orlando is so far off then other parts of the country, and its just not always true. Moving without a job depends on the situation they are CURRENTLY in and who they may already know and the job they currently have. In many situations, they have done their research and being the OP seems to be asking a question about him or herself and a car, whos to say the husband/wife doesn't have something good already setup? People just jump to conclusions with close to 0 facts about the situation.

I just find it funny how people on here always have to be the know it all..thats what I see...

EDIT: I don't want anyone to think that I am trying to cause a problem, but I just feel bad for anyone who asks a question on here, because I wonder how true or false the info they receive will be. If any person wants to be the negative nancy type, then by all means, go for it.. but I just hope the OP's realize that also when reading through responses and don't get a false sense of security, or insecurity. This forum should be used for basic information and opinions and no one on here should be able to make or break someone's decision to move here, or I hope not.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:07 AM

This area has a proportionately higher number of very low wage service industry jobs. It's a fact that when you compare wages in many jobs to the cost of living here, it's more expensive than in most parts of the country.

I'm living here in the Orlando area, I have first hand knowledge of how bad the economy is here, how many people have become homeless, or aren't living on the street only because of the generosity of family or friends.

It's a great place to live if you come here with the tools you need to survive here. If you are an RN looking to live on a busline, you'll easily find work and not need a car. But if you are in a trade, a car is going to be a neccessity. You'll be expected to help with installs, and drive there. If you can't drive and don't have a car, you're not going to get a job in the trades. Period. This isn't NYC where a lot of people take the subway carrying their tool bags. Over 70% of this area is not served by mass transit, and you can't tell the boss you can't get to a jobsite because the bus doesn't run there.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:23 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,989,269 times
What are the chances that this guy could even get a work permit to come over? I would say zero. Has he even checked into that basic first step?

How about health insurance for the family? (what kind of cabinet making or shoe repair job will provide that?)

There are just way too many obstacles for this situation. People need to be realistic and put their family first, just like I could not imagine moving to England now with my family and no jobs.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
What are the chances that this guy could even get a work permit to come over? I would say zero. Has he even checked into that basic first step?
I had asked that earlier, but didn't get a response.

Quote:
How about health insurance for the family? (what kind of cabinet making or shoe repair job will provide that?)
Shoemaking--I'm not even sure he'd get a job in that field, considering that half the people around here live in flip flops. cabinet making, there might be insurance if he got on with one of the bigger subcontractors, although considering that over half the people in the trades are unemployed right now, not likely.

Quote:
There are just way too many obstacles for this situation. People need to be realistic and put their family first, just like I could not imagine moving to England now with my family and no jobs.
Agreed 100%!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando