Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 09:30 PM

19 posts, read 69,130 times

Advertisements

Is this a safe area to live? What can you tell me about the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 06:23 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,531,941 times
I would move there...if my job was closer. They've done a lot of work revitalizing downtown Sanford.
Many people are buying up the historic homes and refurbishing them.

I would suggest you go up and spend a day walking and driving around. Lot's a changes being made and I think they are doing it right.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:29 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,482 times
It is a good solid area surrounded by some more dumpy and crime ridden areas. It is similar to College Park being close to Pine Hills/Rosemont, and Winter Park being close to downtown or Eatonville. There may be some overlap crime, but it does not make the area worth looking at. I have not been to the area since a lot of the refurbishment so I am sure it is even nicer than last time I was up. I do know they are opening more and more restaurants in downtown Sanford as they are showing up in restaurant reviews in Orlando Weekly and the Orlando Magazine. A lot of them are tempting enough that I would drive up there to check them out. I would definitely put this area in the "up and coming" category like the last poster mentioned. Some of the homes are really beautiful.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:41 PM

56 posts, read 168,569 times
I grew up in Sanford and work in real estate in the area. The historic area is attractive and a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't live there. Crackhead encounters are not out of the ordinary. There's too many impoverished, crime-ridden surrounding areas in addition to a number of boarding houses in the historic district. There has been a good bit of renovation of the homes, but you really have to love the area to live there.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:43 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
I would live in the historic area in a heartbeat if I didn't have kids. They have done a wonderful job with refurbishing it! They have the Riverwalk, restaurants, and events there. They have "Alive after 5" which is a blast. The Farmer's market and more. I love the historic homes and they are remoldling every other one. They are rebuilding Ft Mellon Park. I think it's cool that you can walk to downtown from your house. You need to stay on the east side of 17/92 and west side of Sanford Ave. Check out the Sanford website. I think those historic homes will be worth alot in the near future. I would definately check it out!
http://www.city-data.com/forum/orlan...ord-video.html
City of Sanford > Welcome to the City of Sanford

Old 08-06-2009, 09:12 AM

8 posts, read 31,764 times
Post Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativefla View Post
I grew up in Sanford and work in real estate in the area. The historic area is attractive and a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't live there. Crackhead encounters are not out of the ordinary. There's too many impoverished, crime-ridden surrounding areas in addition to a number of boarding houses in the historic district. There has been a good bit of renovation of the homes, but you really have to love the area to live there.
Very accurate and honest post.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:25 AM

3 posts, read 6,839 times
I live in the Orlando Metro area. I have lived in Oviedo , Lake Buena Vista , East Orlando, and Altamonte Springs. "'UPSCALE NEIGHBORHOODS" and I have been a victim to or witnessed crime from all races and classes of people. So to answer your question Orlando as a whole has it problems. Just use common sense. Lock your doors, don't leave your valuables in plain site, and be aware of your surroundings. What people fail to realize is that most of Orlando NO MATTER where you move has the same income level and almost similar housing cost. Mostly it's about choice here there is very little difference in distinctions of class
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando