U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:18 AM

279 posts, read 378,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
1) Some of the lakes here are very large so this is not always the case. If you look at a map see Lake Jessup, Lake Apopka, Lake Tohopekaliga and others that are a considerable size. A lot of these lakes have gators especially Jessup, but they are very large as are several in the Lake Butler chain.

2) If you are referring to Coral Springs in South Florida this is a 2.5-3 hour drive with low to moderate traffic and can easily be longer if there is traffic.
I certainly don't doubt the size of the lakes and have been to Eustis/Mount Dora but the problem is the depth. The lakes in Florida are relatively shallow (5-10 feet average). my equipment is meant for game up to 1000 pounds and my boat sits in the water to 3-4 feet. Would not want to hit bottom$$$ LOL! the other thing is I'm not much into fresh water fishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 10:21 AM

569 posts, read 1,419,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo75 View Post
Great feedback and very appreciative! I am liking the areas surrounding Oviedo from some of the posters descriptions. Lakes are really not my thing, for my boat it would be like putting a jet ski in a swimming pool,LOL! Being near the coast is important but I don't need to be right there. I presently tow 1-1.5 hours in Mass. What is more important are the school system and the town structure.

I hear a lot about gangs down in the Boca surrounding areas but are these really gangs or kids dressed like thugs? I here the same around here but they are just kids dressed up.

Would Coral Springs be a terrible drive to Orlando (my office). Currently I drive 1 hour to work and from.

I certaily will miss many aspects of the Northeast but I also think we will gain many. What would be worse is not trying it out and kicking myself down the road, besides I could always come back. I feel fortunate to be in a situation with a company that has many offices so why not take advantage of it.

Anywho very good info and I hope to hear some more, thank you.
If you choose the Ft. Lauderdale office then you can live anywhere from Palm Beach County to Miami Dade with Broward in between. Coral Springs is right there and is a very nice family oriented town and safe. It has all the stores and upscale restaurants, etc. I know people who live there and sacrifice the 1-hour commute every day.

No Boca does not have a gang problem. Orlando has the bad gang problems complete with bad road rage and highway shootings not long ago. Boca is a very affluent community with very rich retirees and young entrepreneurs. It has just about everything or very close-by including a major state university with over 25,000 students (FAU). How bad could it be if Jeff Gordon bought an estate right on the ocean. If you drive about 10 minutes west you will run into estate communities with 20,000 square foot homes and 10 acres galore. Many are executives and billionaires or worth in the hundreds of millions of dollars. I know some people who do jobs for them at their houses. Boca even has its own airport for all the private custom jets coming and going all day long. It is very busy. I forgot to mention the upscale shopping and one of the better malls around. Boca kind of gets a bad rap from the high population of very wealthy retired Jews that live there. They can be very pushy and snobbish to say the least but nothing to be afraid of.

Just north of Boca is Delray Beach which has some very nice sections. Some are bad but you wouldn't live there. It would be like living in the bad section or Worcester, MA or something similar.

If you are into boating and ocean sports at all then why would you live inland? It would be much more convenient to live closer to the coast. You can live 15 or 20 mins away still at an affordable price. That is where most people live on the coast any way. Not many live right on the ocean unless very rich or in oceanfront condos. Not many live an hour inland in S. Florida either. In fact you would not want to even look at those places.

You would have many more choices in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Orlando is nice too but totally different experience. Not coastal ocean breeze Florida. As I said you could just as well be living in AL or MS.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:21 AM

2,107 posts, read 3,997,450 times
I just moved to Orlando with my wife 6 months ago from Atlanta, to Maitland just north of Eatonville. I also lived in Boca for 18 years where I grew up. I can say that for us, Orlando is the best place in Florida. Best job market, endless things to do, nice downtown around the lake, and plenty close to the beach for weekend trips. And outside of the brutal Summer, the weather is great. We got here in November and there has not been a single uncomfortable day in 6 months. I am not exaggerating at all, and that says a lot right there. However, expect June through September to be crazy hot and muggy. We go literally every weekend to Cocoa Beach and it is great! A nice, pleasant drive as well. Prior to the housing market crash, Orlando was THE up and coming city in Florida. That has stumbled a bit, but I think once things stabilize, it will be back on track once again. The new sports arena downtown is already being built, and a brand new performing arts center is on the way. There is SOME actual culture downdown, as opposed to Boca or Jacksonville, where there is none.

Jacksonville...forget about it. Pretty from I-95; ugly from downtown. Business-wise, this seems to be a decent spot, but I'd much rather live in St. Augustine 30 minutes from there.

Boca, it's plenty nice, but again it's not all that interesting unless you really like high-end retail. Nightlife is non-existant there. Depends on what you are looking for. Beaches are very nice in Boca, and there is little to no crime at all that you will ever encounter.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I am not really coming at this from a schools and family perspective, but I can say that it is a nice place to live with lots to do. Orlando is not without faults. It does have a high crime rate, but seriously you can easily avoid bad areas just like you do in any major city. Traffic is also overrated if you've spent time in other big cities. Orlando is a cake walk compared to Atlanta, for example. South Florida is no better.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:30 AM

569 posts, read 1,419,339 times
As for nightlife and entertainment I know Orlando has plenty. Boca has some but nothing major. Delray Beach has some great nightlife and of course 15 mins south is Ft. Liquordale (mainly Las Olas Blvd.) and then South Beach. You might want to look into the good parts of Ft. Lauderdale since your office is there. After all it is the yachting and boating capital of the whole USA. The canal system and boats are incredible. Another really nice town would be Lighthouse Point just north of Ft. Lauderdale. It has all nice homes on clean canals with your own boat dock.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:48 PM

4,155 posts, read 7,133,033 times
Quote:
I certainly don't doubt the size of the lakes and have been to Eustis/Mount Dora but the problem is the depth. The lakes in Florida are relatively shallow (5-10 feet average). my equipment is meant for game up to 1000 pounds and my boat sits in the water to 3-4 feet. Would not want to hit bottom$$$ LOL! the other thing is I'm not much into fresh water fishing.
Yeah with a boat that size and weight you will likely need to be in deepwater access in the intracoastal. You may still be able to dock in Lake Monroe in Sanford and take the St. Johns River to the intracoastal and Atlantic but it would be an unnecessarily long trip.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:28 PM

48 posts, read 112,459 times
Quote:
I really appreciate everyone's input, as long as I'm within 45 minutes to 1 hour or so from the coast it will work for me. Our office in Orlando is off of Rt4 close to Eatonville so Oviedo looks like a good option. Are there any other areas near Oviedo I should look at. It almost looks like Cocoa Beach is the best or should I say closest beach to Oviedo!?

Currently I live in the central mass area where cows crossing the street are normal but I work in Boston so I'm use to both.

Again thank you all with the great feedback.
You will be working very close to where I live. I would look at Winter park, Altomonte, Heathrow, Lake Mary..I live between Winter park and Altomonte Springs, right off I-4 parking lot.
If you want, post or PM me where your office is, and I can give you more detailed information.
I think the biggest quality of life decision you will be where you live in proximity to your work. I'm a believer in "home time", as I have 2 kids. The less time cummuting=more time at home. There are tons of great places to live on the East side of Orlando. To me Oviedo is too out of the way, in relation to where you say you will be working.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:04 PM

2,107 posts, read 3,997,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnpikeMike View Post
You will be working very close to where I live. I would look at Winter park, Altomonte, Heathrow, Lake Mary..I live between Winter park and Altomonte Springs, right off I-4 parking lot.
If you want, post or PM me where your office is, and I can give you more detailed information.
I think the biggest quality of life decision you will be where you live in proximity to your work. I'm a believer in "home time", as I have 2 kids. The less time cummuting=more time at home. There are tons of great places to live on the East side of Orlando. To me Oviedo is too out of the way, in relation to where you say you will be working.
I second the Winter Park recommendation. This is home to some upscale boutique shopping, lots of pretty areas, trees, brick streets, nice restaurants, and the best Publix I have ever been to. This is a pricey part of town, but also the nicest IMO. You will feel a world away from tourism here, but not be in Anytown USA either.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:30 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,493,100 times
This is one of the things I really like about Orlando--we have more variety of trees than a lot of the coastal areas further south do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I second the Winter Park recommendation. This is home to some upscale boutique shopping, lots of pretty areas, trees, brick streets, nice restaurants, and the best Publix I have ever been to. This is a pricey part of town, but also the nicest IMO. You will feel a world away from tourism here, but not be in Anytown USA either.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:05 AM

5 posts, read 12,819 times
Unless being closer to the beach is priority number one for you, go with Orlando... hands down.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:02 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,751,418 times
I would definitely consider the Coral Springs area (minutes from Boca).

Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
I think you need to decide on whether you prefer living inland or on the coast. To most Florida is all about the ocean and the breeze. Take that away and you may as well just move to Alabama. Inland Florida is like an oven in the summer with crazy humidity not to mention bugs and mosquitoes galore. Orlando has become a traffic nightmare with exploding crime as well. There are nice areas but lots of riff raff and something to consider.

As far as the coast goes, I would stay away from Jacksonville. It is old skool and has nothing to offer. Since you both have excellent jobs you would have no problem living in a great area no matter where you go. Ft. Lauderdale/Boca would be my choice. The main issue with Boca is that it is very affluent and full of rich old Jews who can be pretty snooty. But there are great places to live which are family oriented. It has all the restaurants and other activities as well as a state university. It is not Rodeo Dr. like. You would have to go to Palm Beach for that. You will find snobs in any affluent town in America. I would take that over gangs any day. Ft. Lauderdale has just about everything depending on where you live. Again with your jobs you can live in very nice and safe areas. It sounds like you can even consider the Coral Springs area which is very nice.

The best thing about the Ft. Lauderdale and Boca areas is access to everything the Gold Coast has to offer such as Miami, Palm Beach County, all the action of Ft. Lauderdale, etc. None of the other locations will give you this. Jacksonville is rednecky and isolated. Orlando is inland and not convenient to other places. Tampa has its own thing but is on the other coast. It is hotter and no breeze in the summer.

Nowhere is perfect. There is nothing to be afraid of in nice areas of Boca or Ft. Lauderdale though. If you do not mind the heat and being away from the coast then look into Orlando. I would mainly concentrate on these choices though. The only other one would be Tampa possibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando