U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 02:22 PM

4 posts, read 13,947 times

Advertisements

Being from Chicago, I love their Chinese foods, pizzas, ribs, Chicago hot dogs, and especially their Italian Beef Sandwiches. You Chicago people know what I am talking about!

But for you non-Chicago people--you have thinly sliced beef, seasoned with fantastic Italian seasoning. But the gravy, or the juice, is the big key. It is also seasoned extremely well with Italian seasoning.

You get a nice Italian roll, pile the beef and roasted sweet peppers on the roll, and hot giardeniara relish (if you want it spicy), then douce that "puppy" with lots of gravy and don't be shy about soaking the roll until it is soggy. You haven't experienced life until you had one!! Right Chicagoans? It isn't a sandwhich, it's a culture!! I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 02:45 PM

196 posts, read 680,684 times
where can you get this in Orlando??

Old 05-06-2009, 09:47 PM

139 posts, read 377,061 times
I smell a pitch coming.....

Old 05-08-2009, 07:45 PM

801 posts, read 1,713,583 times
Being a Chicago transplant myself, and heading back "home" in a few years, having lived in Orlando 13 years now, I haven't found anything that can duplicate the Chicago Italian beef sandwich, particularly, Portillo's. Just exactly what the OP described.

I see restaurants such as Friendly Confines in Waterford Lakes that try to capture that Chicago "aura" for us transplants, but I haven't seen anything close to what is served in the Windy City.

The closest I've seen of any Chicago food is Hot Dog Heaven on the corner of Colonial and Semoran, which serves the famous Chicago dog with Vienna beef, as I believe that was started by a Chicagoan. There's also a Giordano's on Sand Lake Rd, right off the I-4, which is the closest I've tasted of deep dish pizza from back home.

So yes, if anyone knows of any place that can replicate Portillo's back home, let me know! While you're at it, find me a White Castle's (Crystals...yuk), Brown's Chicken, Gino's East, Carson's Ribs, etc. Nothing beats real Chicagoland food!

Old 05-13-2009, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 8,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
The closest I've seen of any Chicago food is Hot Dog Heaven on the corner of Colonial and Semoran, which serves the famous Chicago dog with Vienna beef, as I believe that was started by a Chicagoan. There's also a Giordano's on Sand Lake Rd, right off the I-4, which is the closest I've tasted of deep dish pizza from back home.
I've eaten at Hot Dog Heaven a few times, and it was OK, but I wasnt that impressed. In addition to that one, [URL="http://chicagoricksdoggiedinners.com/"]this guy[/URL] does Chicago Hot Dogs. He catered one of our office lunches a while back. As I recall, the food was actually decent. Besides those 2, I think your options are pretty limited here in Central FL.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:25 PM

316 posts, read 899,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefloverman View Post
Being from Chicago, I love their Chinese foods, pizzas, ribs, Chicago hot dogs, and especially their Italian Beef Sandwiches. You Chicago people know what I am talking about!

:
ok ok ok.... so here's the scoop - there is NONE. Not even a good Italian Deli. However for your tastebuds

Chinese - Yen Yen's (Cocoa Beach or Winter Springs)
German is in Sanford, Greek.... it's lacking there is one more place to try hopefully it will be better than what we've had.

As for Chicago Beefs and Pizza - stay tuned... you'll have to drive though. We won't open anything in Orlando.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 6,471 times
Go to the Italian Beefstro on 705 Colonial Dr. Right off I-4. The owner is from the South Side of Chicago and they taste like Portillos. they even sell Pizza Puffs now!!! They have a web site with menu and hours of business becuase they don't open too late and don't open on Sundays!www.italianbeefstro.com

Old 06-10-2011, 12:43 PM

3,239 posts, read 5,327,068 times
Ok been in Central Florida for almost 35 years now and have never found good Italian Beef sandwich anywhere around here. I have to go "home" to get it or make it myself. Unfortunately I lost the recipe I used and need to get it sent to me again.

I was in Illinois in January for a funeral. I didn't get into Chicago area to get a real sandwich, but someone made it for the dinner after the funeral. Good but didn't have the right roll . Thought one of the retaraunts at Midway would have one on the menu, so we went early enough , to eat before flying home. Unfortunately not one place we walked by had it on the menu!!! Ended up with the best Reuban sandwich I have had since living up there,though. LOL

I was never a big fan of the Chicago hot dog with all the dressings that go on it so I don't miss that, but I do miss the pork tenderloin sandwiches from up that way, too. The drive in place I usually get that at is closed during the winter so didn't get that this time either.

The big sandwich up there seemed to be pork chop sandwiches, this year.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:57 PM

2,107 posts, read 3,989,727 times
Italian Beefstro +1

Old 06-10-2011, 01:39 PM

3,239 posts, read 5,327,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Italian Beefstro +1

Where is it located?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando