Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:38 PM

173 posts, read 939,086 times

Advertisements

I live here in the Raleigh area, and I am looking for advise from my upcoming trip to Disney World.

I will be going for 5 days leaving in early MAY.

I havent been there for atleast 20 years and now I plan on going and taking my 10 year old son.

I have puchased a 2 bedroom suite.

Is Magic Kingdom worth it? How about Seaworld? Universal Studios? Islands of Adventure? Wet and Wild?

What about hopper passes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 02:45 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,160 times
Absolutely the Magic Kindgom is worth it! And your thread will probably get move since it's not Triangle specific.

I don't know if this will be considered a "link to a competitor's site" per the TOC, but I'd suggest doing a bit of research at http://www.disboards.com/. You'll find loads of information there.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:47 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
Buy and read:

Amazon.com: The Unofficial Guide Walt Disney World 2009 (Unofficial Guides): Bob Sehlinger, Len Testa: Books

It has all you want to know, and then some.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:06 PM

103 posts, read 211,149 times
Oh my....you asked a great question!! I am a Disney freak and I could plan a trip for anyone!!! We go every year...sometimes more than once a year. I'm slightly obsessive in the planning department but it makes for a great vacation!!

okay first...when you say you "purchased a two bedroom suite", is that on Disney property or off site? That's the place to begin...based on staying on or off property.

Let me tell you, Magic Kingdom is ALWAYS worth it!! It's my favorite park...Wishes is a fantastic fireworks show that Magic Kingdom puts on every evening. I love it. Park Hoppers are a MUST for our family. It allows you a lot more choices each day. I couldn't spend the whole day in Hollywood Studios for instance. So we go there in the morning, do all the fun stuff and then head back to the resort for a rest and maybe do Magic Kingdom in the evening, or Epcot. It allows a lot more breathing room! Totally worth the price in my opinion!!! We usually stay on Disney property, so our trip is Disney centered.

that being said...Sea World is a blast!! My step kids love it!! (they are 10 and 7). I haven't been to Wet and Wild but i've heard it's fun. DisneyWorld also has two water parks, Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. Both are top ten water parks in the US!

Universal and IOA are great if you have Big roller coaster lovers. Definitely worth a visit!!

let me know if you have any other questions! I'd love to help!

Old 04-21-2009, 03:07 PM

103 posts, read 211,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
Absolutely the Magic Kindgom is worth it! And your thread will probably get move since it's not Triangle specific.

I don't know if this will be considered a "link to a competitor's site" per the TOC, but I'd suggest doing a bit of research at The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com - Powered by vBulletin. You'll find loads of information there.
The disboards are most definitely THE place to get opinions and advice on everything Disney...and even not Disney. Check it out. It's a wealth of information!

Old 04-21-2009, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the responses so far!

I won't be staying on Disney's resorts. I actually got a bargain at another hotel. I am about 4 miles from Disney World.

My son is 10 and is a die hard wrestling fan. From website hopping today I found that I watch a taping for TNA and my so is so excited.

As for rides, I am not into big roller coasters neither is my son. But he LOVES LOVES LOVES water. Right now I have 2 UNLIMITED passes to Universal Studio's and IOA for the entire 5 days. Now I have to decide if I want to go to get WDW or Wet and Wild tickets. Is it possible to do all of the things mentioned in 5 days 4 Nights. After reading other blogs it appears that families can stay in Orlando for 2-3 weeks so my little 4 nights doesnt seem long.

Also eating? What do you suggest? I have a jr suite with a kitchen, is that what most families do in Orlando?

Sleeping? We we get any sleep?

Old 04-21-2009, 03:37 PM

223 posts, read 566,426 times
I have to say that once you experience Disney, the Universal experience is somewhat of a letdown in terms of customer service, etc. The rides at Universal though are great for older kids. I personally would rather spend my money at Disney- you just feel so much more appreciated. So much to do and I agree that the park hopper is definitely worth the money. It might be worth it to focus jsut on Disney without sepnding the additional money on park passes outside Disney especially if you are only there for 5 days. Disney has great water parks and Animal Kingdom is also very cool. This past time I went, they allowed us to bring stuff into the park like waters and sandwiches- to me, very worth it to not have to eat park food all week. The time before, they wouldn't let us bring anything in. Just an FYI. Have fun!! What a great vacation for your son. This posted right after you posted...you WILL be tired at the end of the day...wear very comfortable shoes!! If you already have universal tickets, look into maybe a one or 2 day single park at Disney then go to Wet and Wild also. I personally was done with Universal after 2 days at both parks. City walk there is pretty cool though.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:41 PM

My son has NO idea of how much fun he is going to have!

I've heard from several people that the Univesal Studio's was a let down.

Planning this trip has been so much fun SO FAR that I know I will make a every year thing out it, therefore I need to FOCUS on a couple of parks only. Not to mention the hotel that I am staying in has a fabulous pool. My son and I have no problem hanging out at the pool all day. All I need is a book, good music and food....(is that realistic)?

Old 04-21-2009, 03:43 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missnew2nc View Post
Is it possible to do all of the things mentioned in 5 days 4 Nights. After reading other blogs it appears that families can stay in Orlando for 2-3 weeks so my little 4 nights doesnt seem long.
Avoid the "Disney Death March." Accept that you can't do and see everything in one trip (even if you limited yourself to just WDW itself). Be reasonable with your schedule, allow time to rest, and savor what you can instead of trying to rush through everything (which isn't possible anyway).

Old 04-21-2009, 03:57 PM

The Disney Death March.......GREAT TERM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando