U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:20 AM

79 posts, read 176,892 times

Advertisements

Have to make an important decision on a house ASAP and need your help.

I know what the mileage is from place to place, but need info from someone who has experienced driving on the 408 at rush hour!

The home is located at Waterford Lakes....my husband would be taking the 408 to 75 towards Ocala at appx 6am in the morning and then again at 5pm at night. How is the traffic at this time and how long do you think it takes to get through Orlando 408 at this time of the morning?

The other home is on the Windermere/Ocoee line and although a better drive, I like the other home better...price is the same etc.......of course gas costs will be more from Waterford lakes.

Thanks so much!!!
Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 11:19 AM

26,582 posts, read 50,112,640 times
During rush hour add at least 30 minutes to the commute time that Mapquest/Google Mapes/etc. is giving you.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:27 AM

Thanks...how are the tolls on that rd? Any ideas??

Old 05-08-2009, 12:05 PM

48 posts, read 112,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMMEGNA View Post
Have to make an important decision on a house ASAP and need your help.

I know what the mileage is from place to place, but need info from someone who has experienced driving on the 408 at rush hour!

The home is located at Waterford Lakes....my husband would be taking the 408 to 75 towards Ocala at appx 6am in the morning and then again at 5pm at night. How is the traffic at this time and how long do you think it takes to get through Orlando 408 at this time of the morning?

The other home is on the Windermere/Ocoee line and although a better drive, I like the other home better...price is the same etc.......of course gas costs will be more from Waterford lakes.

Thanks so much!!!
Lisa
Both are gonna be rough commutes for the hubby.
Waterford Lakes to Ocala is a hellish drive(the drive to work wont be as bad, but still long), espically during peak drive times. The Tolls are also gonna eat you up.
The drive to Ocala From Windermere will be probably a little worse IMO, just because of being near the parks, and having to wade through Downtown traffic.
Just out of curiosity, whats the millege of both drives?

Are you set on those two(houses) locations? Just know there are other great areas that wont entail the Hubby losing hours of his life in traffic.

hope this helps.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnpikeMike View Post
Both are gonna be rough commutes for the hubby.
Waterford Lakes to Ocala is a hellish drive(the drive to work wont be as bad, but still long), espically during peak drive times. The Tolls are also gonna eat you up.
The drive to Ocala From Windermere will be probably a little worse IMO, just because of being near the parks, and having to wade through Downtown traffic.
Just out of curiosity, whats the millege of both drives?

Are you set on those two(houses) locations? Just know there are other great areas that wont entail the Hubby losing hours of his life in traffic.

hope this helps.

Thanks for the help! He's not so concerned abt. the time as much as the toll and gas costs related.
From the Waterford Lakes addy to Work addy it is 86.54 miles
From the Windermere/Ocoee addy to work it is 66.82 miles

We are relocating as alot of you hae read previously...was down for a few days to view homes.....viewed 20....these 2 are the choices for whatever reasons.....both are priced exactly the same, both are in wonderful neighborhoods with good schools.......one is closer but smaller and some furniture will have to be stored (in garage), other is further and larger and will it everything. I am particularly partial to the one in Waterford Lakes, but would hate to have so much extra costs related to living there(gas,tolls etc..)
You mentioned something abt. Disney traffic.....will that really be an issue on the Windermere/Ocoee home? I ask because the one thing my husband stated was he never ever wants to sit in "that damn Disney traffic" (we lived previously awhile ago in Winter Haven and he commuted from the northern most part of Ocoee by way of the east/west expwy and I-4!)

Again, thank you so very much

Lisa

Old 05-08-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the help! He's not so concerned abt. the time as much as the toll and gas costs related.
From the Waterford Lakes addy to Work addy it is 86.54 miles
From the Windermere/Ocoee addy to work it is 66.82 miles

We are relocating as alot of you hae read previously...was down for a few days to view homes.....viewed 20....these 2 are the choices for whatever reasons.....both are priced exactly the same, both are in wonderful neighborhoods with good schools.......one is closer but smaller and some furniture will have to be stored (in garage), other is further and larger and will it everything. I am particularly partial to the one in Waterford Lakes, but would hate to have so much extra costs related to living there(gas,tolls etc..)
You mentioned something abt. Disney traffic.....will that really be an issue on the Windermere/Ocoee home? I ask because the one thing my husband stated was he never ever wants to sit in "that damn Disney traffic" (we lived previously awhile ago in Winter Haven and he commuted from the northern most part of Ocoee by way of the east/west expwy and I-4!)

Again, thank you so very much

Lisa
He says that now. When he's getting off work at 5 and getting home at 7:30-8pm, he may change his tune. I know, because I went through the same thing. I lived in East Orlando off I-4 and worked in Lake Buena Vista, and it would take me upwards of 1 1/2 hours to get home, and I lived 22 miles away. I changed jobs (it was that or move, and job change was easier. my 8 hour days turned into 11+ hour days, due to the I-4 parking lot.
As far as "parks traffic", where would he being entering/exiting I-4? If you could tell me the exit, I could give you a better idea.

I cant believe you wernt able to find a house/schools/area that meets your needs in a more commute friendly area.

If it were me, and those were the only 2 choices, I think I'd suck it up, pay the tolls, and live in Waterford Lakes.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnpikeMike View Post
He says that now. When he's getting off work at 5 and getting home at 7:30-8pm, he may change his tune. I know, because I went through the same thing. I lived in East Orlando off I-4 and worked in Lake Buena Vista, and it would take me upwards of 1 1/2 hours to get home, and I lived 22 miles away. I changed jobs (it was that or move, and job change was easier. my 8 hour days turned into 11+ hour days, due to the I-4 parking lot.
As far as "parks traffic", where would he being entering/exiting I-4? If you could tell me the exit, I could give you a better idea.

I cant believe you wernt able to find a house/schools/area that meets your needs in a more commute friendly area.

If it were me, and those were the only 2 choices, I think I'd suck it up, pay the tolls, and live in Waterford Lakes.

Your too funny......being from Ma. and living on Cape Cod, where we are now, my husband has never had less than an 1 1/2 hr commute and right now, they have him driving to CT everyday which is 3 hrs each way. My husband is a GEM...no doubt!!
Here are the addresses of the homes, one because it's no secret and two because I'm completely confused! I have been using yahoo maps for directions...not sure if others will be different.

1. 280 Calliope St. Ocoee
2. 2143 Autumn View Drive, Orlando 32825

Your help is awesome!!!

Lisa

Old 05-08-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks...how are the tolls on that rd? Any ideas??

Alafaya Trail to the Tpke $3.50
From the tpke at 408 to the end in Ocala is $2.00 using Sunpass, $2.50 cash.

So $11 each day if you've got Sunpass/EPass

Ouch!

Old 05-08-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Your too funny......being from Ma. and living on Cape Cod, where we are now, my husband has never had less than an 1 1/2 hr commute and right now, they have him driving to CT everyday which is 3 hrs each way. My husband is a GEM...no doubt!!
Here are the addresses of the homes, one because it's no secret and two because I'm completely confused! I have been using yahoo maps for directions...not sure if others will be different.

1. 280 Calliope St. Ocoee
2. 2143 Autumn View Drive, Orlando 32825

Your help is awesome!!!

Lisa
Give me some time, and I'll take a look at those addresses and give you a "real time" cummute estimate.
No problem on the help. I found this place by looking for help with a trip to a game in Foxoboro, in the Mass. Forum. I got so much help from the locals, I felt obligated to come over here and try an help those coming this way.

Cape Cod huh? I hear its beautiful. You just decided your tired of freezing, and wanted to bake, huh? You will love the balmy Orlando Summers!

Old 05-08-2009, 01:31 PM

Coming out of Maguire road and then to the turnpike there's going to be some traffic, but once he gets past the intersection of Maguire and 50 it won't be bad on 50 at that time of the morning. The only reason he'll hit much traffic on Maguire is people on the way to work at the hospital, although my guess is that most cut over Old Winter Garden Road and never see 50. You won't be getting on the 408 to get to Ocala from there, and the tolls will only be $4.00 a day with EPass.

I'd say from the Ocoee house to Ocala you're looking at under an hour and 45 unless there's a wreck. Once you pass the Clermont exit the traffic significantly decreases.

The Waterford Lakes house will be well over two hours each way--probably between 2.15 and 2.30. Traffic coming out of downtown Orlando on the 408 is just terrible in the evening, and stays heavily well into the 7:00 hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando