U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:56 AM

11 posts, read 52,359 times

Advertisements

I live in the area and have to admit it is different that what I am used to. I wouldn't call it "rudeness" but more of a cultural difference. For example, I would NEVER allow my children to play in my neighbor's unfenced backyard, but my new neighbors seem to think my backyard is THEIR backyard. Is it rudeness or ignorance of common rules of behavior? I would NEVER park my car in front of someone else's house, yet people in my neighborhood seem to think the spot in front of my house is their own private parking lot. I have to say I was SHOCKED the first time I saw people deliberately litter and destroy private property. I chalked it up to culture shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 11:23 AM

976 posts, read 719,070 times
^^^ Wow, you definitely live my area - lol. You must live close by. I live in the 32828 zip code.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:52 AM

11 posts, read 52,359 times
Let me guess, you park in front of my house too ;>)

Old 08-10-2009, 12:06 PM

976 posts, read 719,070 times
LOL, no. I dont like it either.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:30 PM

4,187 posts, read 9,548,229 times
i dont have a problem with people parking in the street, the street is government property, it would be different if somone parked in your driveway. If people are parking on the street it must mean their drive way and street infront of there home is full, where else do you want them to go? That prolly only occurs when there is a get together at the home.

as for people playing in someone else's yard, i think thats fine as long as they are friends with the owners of the home, people put up fences for a reason. Though i never see people playing in other peoples back yards. I know i played in my nextdoor neighbors back yard when i was a kid without asking, we had no fence and we were friends so its not that big of a deal.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:35 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,487,742 times
I don't think she's talking about her kids playing with other kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
i dont have a problem with people parking in the street, the street is government property, it would be different if somone parked in your driveway. If people are parking on the street it must mean their drive way and street infront of there home is full, where else do you want them to go? That prolly only occurs when there is a get together at the home.

as for people playing in someone else's yard, i think thats fine as long as they are friends with the owners of the home, people put up fences for a reason. Though i never see people playing in other peoples back yards. I know i played in my nextdoor neighbors back yard when i was a kid without asking, we had no fence and we were friends so its not that big of a deal.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:48 AM

26,582 posts, read 50,126,546 times
When my son was young and outside playing all the time, I never minded the other kids from the neighborhood in my yard. Now that he's an adult, I don't want kids running around my yard.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:25 AM

2,107 posts, read 3,990,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cher468 View Post
I would NEVER park my car in front of someone else's house, yet people in my neighborhood seem to think the spot in front of my house is their own private parking lot.

What?? Where in any city do people not park in front of people's houses? If one person is having a get together, where the heck are they supposed to park? The streets are not owned by you. This is not a Florida thing. I have never seen anywhere where people don't park on the street for parties. I sure hope you don't get invited to any parties and the driveway is full. I guess you would just drive home rather than be "rude"? Unless this is something where the people park in front of your house daily...then I would take it up with the neighbor.

Last edited by Pete C; 08-11-2009 at 10:48 AM..

Old 08-11-2009, 11:07 AM

26,582 posts, read 50,126,546 times
I think it's rude to park in front of someone elses house when there is room in front of your own. I also think that you need to accept the fact that when people are having a party, there will be people parked in front of your house. As long as they aren't blocking your driveway or the fire hydrants, I do'nt see the problem.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:30 AM

19 posts, read 55,848 times
I think there is something to the cultural differences. When I moved to the area, there was something that felt familiar about it - somehow it reminded me of home and I thought that I'd be comfortable living there. (Couldn't have been more wrong since I moved to the Lofts .... but that is another story.) Well, where I come from, people aren't that friendly - everyone is pretty much in their own worlds, which includes only their family and friends. Now that I've experienced the comparative friendliness of other parts of Florida, I prefer that. Waterford isn't nearly as friendly as other parts of Orlando, but I still don't see them as being rude. They just seem more northern and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of transplants live there. I know that it is still hard for me to be very friendly. At home I was considered very very friendly and outgoing. Here, I know sometimes people perceive me as being standoffish and abrupt. But old habits die hard - I'm very used to focusing on what I need to do, getting the information I need quickly, not making too much eye contact, not making too much chit chat, and getting to the location I need to be in fairly quickly. I've never been told that I'm rude, but down here people don't really think of me as being friendly either.

I don't know about the parking spaces and lawns ... most people who are from the U.S. I think, recognize that they should park in their own parking slots and not their neighbors - unless they've never lived in a place where there was assigned parking.

Children and yards - that's a whole other matter. When I was a little girl, I don't remember playing in some random yard. There was an unspoken rule that we played in our own yard, in a common area, or near a friend's house if they are outside. I lived in a lot of different neighborhoods when I was a kid, and that seemed to be the rule no matter what part of the country I was in or the demographics of the area. But that was some time ago. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with kids playing near my house as long as they aren't making a lot of noise when I need it to be quiet, or they don't leave a lot of mess. I figure that they are kids and don't mean any harm. If I had kids and I noticed them doing that, I'd probably tell them to stay closer to home or to a friend's house because I wouldn't want them to disturb someone else.

Parking in front of the house on the street is kind of a given. If there is a party or something like that, that is where you park. I think it is considered a neighborly courtesy not to mention that unless it gets to be excessive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando