U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,982 times

Advertisements

Hello, I was looking at this area to buy and have read mixed comments. Has crime improved from 2007? It seems as police was increased in the area?

I am not from the area but recently visited friends and was interested in purchasing there.

I went to see a condo in the Madison at Metrowest and really liked it and it's at a very good price on a well maintained gated community, what do you guys think of this complex?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 12:40 PM

2,105 posts, read 3,989,180 times
I don't think it is mainly those condos themselves, though you may get crime there too, but the area outside of it which is bad...which you can't avoid. I swear, that area is the PRETTIEST ghetto I have ever seen, but a ghetto it is. I drive around there every month or so, and can easily say I would not live there unless things drastically change. It is an absolute shame, and a waste of such beautiful landscaping and hard work to turn that area around. However, just drive up and down Kirkman ave once and you are bound to be turned off. Punks and gangsters everywhere. Unless you have to be down by the tourism district for work, I personally would stay east of I-4 and north of 408. What kind of area are you looking for as far as your lifestyle?

Old 05-18-2009, 01:19 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,999,896 times
I think it has stabilized to improved, but Metrowest is still bad. Some reasons why you get different opinions is that some areas of 32835 are very nice and secluded and safe. Most of what people think of as Metrowest is in the 32811 area by WalMart and this area is very unsafe.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:35 PM

18 posts, read 63,553 times
I live in Metrowest (actually Kirkman Road). MW is an ok place to live if you're single and look out for yourself. I wouldn't want to raise a family in some parts here.

I don't know the Madison too well, but that area is decent.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:00 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,486,610 times
I think Kirkman will turn around eventually, although it will take a long time. It's too pretty and convenient to things to stay this way forever.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:44 AM

26,582 posts, read 50,112,640 times
Unless you can figure out a way to remove it from it's neighbor Pine Hills, don't expect Metrowest to clean up anytime soon. it's going to take more than a couple of years to clean that cesspool.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:33 PM

640 posts, read 1,496,031 times
Being a Metrowest resident is an unfortunate thing these days.... Kirkman Road/Raleigh/Westgate give it such a bad name.... and DAMN YOU WALMART! :P I always get looks of horror when I mention that I live there.....

But what most fail to realize is that the "bad areas" don't make up all of Metrowest......

There are still neighborhoods in Metrowest with $500K-$1M+ homes.... If you drove through those neighborhoods, you would definitely be wondering what the heck people are talking about.....The Hiawassee/Westpointe part of Metrowest is worlds apart from Kirkman road..... and again, if you hear people talk about crime, it's almost always in an apartment complex on Kirkman or Raleigh/Westgate.

This night and day difference can be seen by just going to the Winn Dixie near Raleigh versus the Publix near Westpointe. I look at Metrowest Blvd as the border between "good" and "bad" Metrowest...

I still have high hopes for Metrowest because there is a little light at the end of the tunnel. If someone rescues Veranda Park out of bankruptcy, finishes it "correctly," and all of the investor/condo-conversion messes get cleaned up, I believe that Metrowest will become desirable again.....

But if those things don't get fixed appropriately.... that light at the end of the tunnel might be an oncoming train

I'm crossing my fingers

Last edited by volk2k; 05-20-2009 at 12:18 AM..

Old 05-20-2009, 07:25 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,999,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volk2k View Post
Being a Metrowest resident is an unfortunate thing these days.... Kirkman Road/Raleigh/Westgate give it such a bad name.... and DAMN YOU WALMART! :P I always get looks of horror when I mention that I live there.....

But what most fail to realize is that the "bad areas" don't make up all of Metrowest......

There are still neighborhoods in Metrowest with $500K-$1M+ homes.... If you drove through those neighborhoods, you would definitely be wondering what the heck people are talking about.....The Hiawassee/Westpointe part of Metrowest is worlds apart from Kirkman road..... and again, if you hear people talk about crime, it's almost always in an apartment complex on Kirkman or Raleigh/Westgate.

This night and day difference can be seen by just going to the Winn Dixie near Raleigh versus the Publix near Westpointe. I look at Metrowest Blvd as the border between "good" and "bad" Metrowest...

I still have high hopes for Metrowest because there is a little light at the end of the tunnel. If someone rescues Veranda Park out of bankruptcy, finishes it "correctly," and all of the investor/condo-conversion messes get cleaned up, I believe that Metrowest will become desirable again.....

But if those things don't get fixed appropriately.... that light at the end of the tunnel might be an oncoming train

I'm crossing my fingers
This is my point exactly. I bet your zip code is 32835? That zip code is much safer and taken care of than 32811 but unfortunately still bears the same general Metrowest name. Some of the homes in this area are just like the ones in Dr Phillips/Windermere but unfortunately bear a stigma. I would still move there and still recommend the 32835 zip code on this forum, but it is closer to high crime areas than Dr Phillips and Winter Garden so it is worth a mention/disclaimer.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:27 AM

26,582 posts, read 50,112,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volk2k View Post

I'm crossing my fingers
The thing I really do'nt like about the "good" parts of Metrowest is the horrendous traffic. Even if they clean up teh bad parts, I dont' know how they'll eliminate teh traffic nightmares in the area. Too many homes with too few roads to get in and out, and very difficult to put new roads in that will really make a difference. Urban planning at it's worst...

Old 05-20-2009, 08:51 AM

640 posts, read 1,496,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
This is my point exactly. I bet your zip code is 32835? That zip code is much safer and taken care of than 32811 but unfortunately still bears the same general Metrowest name. Some of the homes in this area are just like the ones in Dr Phillips/Windermere but unfortunately bear a stigma. I would still move there and still recommend the 32835 zip code on this forum, but it is closer to high crime areas than Dr Phillips and Winter Garden so it is worth a mention/disclaimer.
Yeah.... and it's unfortunate that that stigma has taken hold there because 32811 and no residence on Kirkman is actually part of Metrowest proper

I do live in 32835, and Raleigh/Westgate are part of 32835 so I wouldn't say that the entire zip code is roses

Just wish it was more of... "Stay away from Kirkman!" more than "Stay away from Metrowest!"

I personally don't have an issue with the traffic now.... and if it's there, most of it is on Kirkman....

I do agree that rush hours can get busy on Hiawassee like most other parts of town.... but Metrowest is still conveniently located so that you will still get home faster in that rush hour traffic than living further outside of the Orlando area.....especially if you have to take I-4.

Just my 2 cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando