Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,515,825 times

Advertisements

Orlando according to Forbes magazine is the 7th toughest job market in the US right now.

Sorry, Texas has not been hit as hard as FL has in the economic downturn.

FL always relied on construction and tourism to bring money in and both are in a bad way.

Your information is a year and half old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 08:25 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,318,507 times
Default Check it out first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Orlando is one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country, check the link below. I don't see where the cost of living is that high here. Prices are plummeting from their artificially inflated prices of a few years ago, and there is no state tax.

America's Fastest-Growing Metros - Forbes.com
Ah, but the property taxes can be quite HIGH in parts of FL!

Old 05-24-2009, 08:54 PM

190 posts, read 761,990 times
Ah, but property taxes can be quite HIGHER in other parts of the country, including Texas.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:25 PM

986 posts, read 3,536,479 times
My father in law has a home in Houston as he works there and commutes back and fourth and Houston has extremely high taxes. Alot higher than for comparable property here so im not sure where you think texas is on par. Homes may be cheaper there but taxes are alot higher than here in central florida.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:42 PM

196 posts, read 748,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfIfan View Post
My father in law has a home in Houston as he works there and commutes back and fourth and Houston has extremely high taxes. Alot higher than for comparable property here so im not sure where you think texas is on par. Homes may be cheaper there but taxes are alot higher than here in central florida.
I agree with you. My daughter lives in Texas. My husband and I like Texas and may be moving there. We're retired, so working is not an issue. And, you're right, homes are generally cheaper in Texas and have one advantage (IMO) in that they are more RV-friendly and non-HOA properties are more available in TX. The cost of homes have dropped significantly in Florida, but it is just about impossible to find homes without HOAs. More homes with swimming pools are also available in Florida, which is what we are looking for.

We're still on the fence between Texas and Florida.

However, currently our biggest obstacle is selling our home here in Washington State.

iuki

Last edited by iuki001; 05-25-2009 at 12:12 AM..

Old 05-25-2009, 08:04 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,318,507 times
Default Property Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink flamingo View Post
Ah, but property taxes can be quite HIGHER in other parts of the country, including Texas.
Guess it all depends upon where you are moving FROM!!

Old 05-25-2009, 08:37 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,294,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray_Dude View Post
What part of texas? I moved from Austin to S. Fl (WPB) a couple years ago, and hate it here. It's like a third-world country (where I'm originally from), most everyone's rude, and everyone walks around like they are in some type of gang. So I can understand how you feel.
Lol, don't you live in Wellington? Third World Country of Wellington? Haha, right.

Why not simply go back to Austin?

Old 05-25-2009, 10:36 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,196,366 times
Taxes and electricity rates in TX are alot more than FL, however TX has higher quality people than FL. Food in some places in Dallas can be double what you pay in Orlando, too.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:01 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,381,440 times
Ahem. That's a bit of a generalization, don't you think.
Nothing against Texas (never been there), but I'll take our "low quality people", lower cost of living and higher quality beaches, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
however TX has higher quality people than FL.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:52 AM

986 posts, read 3,536,479 times
I think this is an awful genrealization. Every city has areas which arnt so nice and attract perhaps the wrong crowd, but a sweeping statement like that is ridiculous. I take it you have been to every area in the central Florida region and been to every area of every other city in the US or the world for that matter to be able to make a comparrison. I think not. If you are living in a bad area of course you are going to say something silly as that. Lets start being realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Taxes and electricity rates in TX are alot more than FL, however TX has higher quality people than FL. Food in some places in Dallas can be double what you pay in Orlando, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando